Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Does this game actually gets scary at some point?
pinkribbonscars Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Does this game actually gets scary at some point?

Not scary, just really screwed up.
09-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Find
MonkEsquire Offline

Threads: 1

Screwed up how? There's not a single point I can recall that qualifies as "screwed up" or "disturbing" in the entire game.
09-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Find
pinkribbonscars Offline

(09-12-2013, 06:11 PM)MonkEsquire Wrote: Screwed up how? There's not a single point I can recall that qualifies as "screwed up" or "disturbing" in the entire game.

Seriously? o_O The whole revelation of the true purpose of The Machine wasn't horrific to you?
09-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Find
Sarcelle Offline

I doubt this game really aimed to terrify the player. Horrify yes, and I'd be surprised is anyone walked away not being at all shaken from the experience. Actually, as I write that, it seems obvious that people did just that. But still. What Mandus did before the game begins is harrowing.

Even the monsters are meant to be sympathized with. The scene towards the end where you see them in their rooms? Or the fact that they sometimes don't even kill you, just move you around a bit after you black out. People complain that they weren't scary enough, and that they were even slightly comical. And I think that was intended, and that claiming that this detracts from the game is missing the very point of the game.

A Machine For Pigs probably just isn't the right game to play if you want to play a scary game. But I don't think that makes it a bad game, it just makes it a different game than A Dark Descent. Like with anything, it may just not be your taste.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 06:51 PM by Sarcelle.)
09-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-12-2013, 06:38 PM)pinkribbonscars Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 06:11 PM)MonkEsquire Wrote: Screwed up how? There's not a single point I can recall that qualifies as "screwed up" or "disturbing" in the entire game.

Seriously? o_O The whole revelation of the true purpose of The Machine wasn't horrific to you?

Its nature and the fact that Mandus is a dick was not at all a surprise.

But the allusions to averting our very own history, the horror of industrialization, the humanization of the 'antagonists', the sexual repression of the protagonist? That makes my skin crawl.
09-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Find
Sanji202 Offline

(09-12-2013, 08:57 AM)xXDarkShadowXx Wrote: ^^ Does this game actually gets scary at some point?

I've gone through the second loading door where there's a chariot full of dead pigs on, close to the desk full of dentures and glasses.

So far, nothing has been scary except for the menu screen music.

No... it never does... its pathetic.
09-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Find
Dash213 Offline

Threads: 2

the scary stuff in this game are less the jumpscares and more the understanding of the events in that world, it's mostly in the notes and thats probably the problem as people didn't read them or didn't put thought into them while reading.

try and read the notes and think about them and how they relate to what you see and do in the game. it's pretty horrifying.
09-14-2013, 07:17 AM
Find