Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
What do modders and creators think, from their unique perspective and experience?
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27
What do modders and creators think, from their unique perspective and experience?

Alright after reading about 8 threads of people complaining about the game and all the features it lacks. I realized that most of the people that write these things are junior member or regular members, and probably does not have that much knowledge about the engine and game design in general.

So I'd like to know the Seniors or the experienced members what they think of AAMFP.

I think if you've produced a mod yourself. You have a different approach on things in the game. You may have seen things others did not.

Now finally don't turn this into a massive spam thread with uneducated posts and unreliable content.

- Inactive account -
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 04:18 PM by Artyom.)
09-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Find
Tomato Cat Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Seniors only please.

I enjoyed playing it, but it didn't really "feel" like an Amnesia game. I'd rate it a 7/10.

People expected certain things (sanity, interaction, puzzles) based on their experience with TDD that AMFP didn't deliver, and thus, are disappointed. (Myself included, among other reasons) From what I've understood, it was supposed to be a more of an experimental title than a sequel. Seriously, if it wasn't prefixed with "Amnesia" I betcha that 75% of common grievances would disappear.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 03:41 PM by Tomato Cat.)
09-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Find
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27

Spoiler below!

(09-13-2013, 03:37 PM)Tomato Cat Wrote: I enjoyed playing it, but it didn't really "feel" like an Amnesia game. I'd rate it a 7/10.

People expected certain things (sanity, interaction, puzzles) based on their experience with TDD that AMFP didn't deliver, and thus, are disappointed. (Myself included, among other reasons) Simply because it was supposed to be a more of an experimental title than a sequel, from what I've understood. If it wasn't prefixed with "Amnesia" I betcha that 75% of common grievances would disappear.

I agree but people should be aware of the fact that this game was simply not produced by FG and that's what bugging me with all these posts.

Anyhow I thought AMFP had a very cool level design with all the secret stairs, doors etc.

Also I completely froze upon realizing the paintings were seethrough.
Felt like someone was watching me.

- Inactive account -
09-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Well, I'm a senior dude here, but haven't made a mod yet. It's in development by the way.

Um, I think AAMFP is a masterpiece, but it's headed towards storytelling more than scares. Also, I can't throw items which is really awful, but I'll live.
The engine had a lot of good features like 3ds Max implemented into it. But disabling the Custom Story option was a bad call.

Now, TCR's lighting. It was pretty good, but I don't think that they connected a light to the lamp entity. In one area of the game, I see splotches of light in the ceiling so I don't think they made the radius big enough.

Also, it's really dark. Most areas would have some illumination WITHOUT lights.

I think AAMFP is pretty good, but compared to The Dark Descent, this was more story, but less scare except ATDD which steps the balance to Scare more.

The atmosphere is good enough. You could hear pig moaning and stuff when exploring an area. So I think TCR could done the game well enough WITHOUT any dangers of Monster encounters or maybe just one.

Well, since this is like a review, let's continue.

The plot and story was a little off too. I mean, what does the Machine and Oswald's children have to do with this? Why did Oswald made the Machine in the first place?

Outdoor areas. TCR was smart with this. They made outdoor areas but made sure that other areas are not accessible.

TLDR:
AAMFP was Amnesia leaning towards storytelling more than scares and ATDD was reverse of that.
The atmosphere is good, but not that professional.

I think this game could be much, much better.

8.5/10

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
09-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

AAMFP is one of the best pieces of gaming history.
It's not only a good horror game, that will turn into a really frightening journey. The game is a piece of art because of the intellectual story writing.
The story is a mirror of capitalism and tells the truth, so that you have to think about your own character "saboteur of your own clockwork".

I think we should see AAMFP a bit different from TDD. Of course the game would be better with more interaction etc, but because of some missed features it's not a reason to be disappointed! See the good things in it. And it's by far more applicable than TDD.

The duration is the same, it's not shorter than TDD.

I would rate it 9,5/10.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 03:49 PM by Googolplex.)
09-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5

Alone the fact, that I think about the story of the game for three days now (and there is no end in sight) is one point why I absolutely love this game. No other game will come to my mind which managed this. I was stunned by the amazing music, especially in the last part of the game and I got goosebumps thorugh this epicness.
09-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Find
wolfman Offline

(09-13-2013, 03:29 PM)Zandrojakov Wrote: I realized that most of the people that write these things are junior member or regular members, and probably does not have that much knowledge about the engine and game design in general.

Bullsh*t
Played Amnesia TDD twice, also CS.
Just finished AMFP and I totally agree with 'didn't really "feel" like an Amnesia game'
What I can say is that it's something new/different. And the idea of the plot is brilliant. End of story. now blame me cause I'm junior member.
It's just an opinion. And yes it depends on the knowledge, but not on the member status.

[Image: darkwood_sig_600x120.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 03:49 PM by wolfman.)
09-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(09-13-2013, 03:49 PM)Descendant Wrote: Just finished AMFP and I totally agree with 'didn't really "feel" like an Amnesia game'

Not every game has to feel like an Amnesia game. Well at the beginning I also missed the typical feeling to play an Amnesia game, but it's similar to Amnesia and extremely well made in its own way of design.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 03:55 PM by Googolplex.)
09-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Yep, mine is the one totally a review.

@Descendant
Not every Junior member is the one bitching. It's just the minority that said louder so you kinda take it as the majority. Know what I mean?
What I mean is only a small group of Junior members are the ones that complained so much so that they kinda sound like what most Junior member's like.

You're a good Junior member, I appreciate that.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
09-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Find
wolfman Offline

(09-13-2013, 03:52 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Not every game has to feel like an Amnesia game. Well at the beginning I also missed the typical feeling to play an Amnesia game, but it's similar to Amnesia and extremely well made in its own way of design.
Thats what I mean.

droog Wrote:Alone the fact, that I think about the story of the game for three days now (and there is no end in sight) is one point why I absolutely love this game.
Nailed it

@JustAnotherPlayer and @Thread:
Yes, got it. And Thanks.
But I'll leave your now for your business here

[Image: darkwood_sig_600x120.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 04:00 PM by wolfman.)
09-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Find