Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Which option would you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Better workflow with a risk of compability issues with old mods
69.57%
16 69.57%
Keep all mods compatible, accept some minor annoyances with new models
30.43%
7 30.43%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
More input needed on CS update!
Patrik Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 3
More input needed on CS update!

Hey again, everyone.
In testing the coming update we ran into a bit of an issue. The old collada importer would not take the up_axis set in a model into consideration, something the AMFP's importer does.
This means few TDD models that had a custom up_axis set (even though it had no effect) are now rotated incorrectly in the game, something that completely breaks the main campaign and probably some custom stories as well. This is of course not acceptable.

We have two possible solutions to the issue, but since they will affect the modding community it seems like a good idea to ask for input here first.

1) Patch the old TDD models to have the correct up_axis
New models will work correctly out-of-the-box. However, this will potentially break any mods using custom models with the wrong up_axis set! Should not affect that many mods, and it would be easy for the modder to patch.

2) Keep the handling of up_axis the same way it was in TDD
New models with a custom up_axis will need to be rotated manually by the modders, which might get annoying. This means all old mods will keep working just like they did before.

Which solution would you prefer, and why?
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 04:50 PM by Patrik.)
09-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6
RE: More input needed on CS update!

(09-16-2013, 09:15 AM)Patrik Wrote: 2) Keep the handling of up_axis the same way it was in TDD
New models with a custom up_axis will need to be rotated manually by the modders

When you say 'New models', do you mean new models that modders are making or the new models from AMFP?

In either case would probably say go with option 2, it might mean a lot of trouble initially but, potentially breaking a bunch of old mods where the author may have moved on would be a shame

09-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

OPTION 2. Also, is that why AAMFP assets that I imported for my Custom Story rotated wrong?

Wow. Just wrote this with just one hand and finger.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
09-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Find
Patrik Offline
Frictional Games

(09-16-2013, 09:36 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Also, is that why AAMFP assets that I imported for my Custom Story rotated wrong?

Yeah, that's probably the reason. It should affect some, if not all of the AMFP dae files.
09-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Find
Unearthlybrutal Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 12

I prefer the second solution because of this:
Quote:This means all old mods will keep working just like they did before.

When Life No Longer Exists
Full-conversion mod
09-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Website Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

First one.

Any mods that break as a result but are not updated to reflect the update should die. The closer things work out-of-the-box, the better. Retail version requires manually updating the game, so if they wish to play mods that become outdated after the patch, they can just choose not to upgrade. But for this to be possible, you would need to release the update as an update and not part of the full game.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 10:34 AM by Your Computer.)
09-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Website Find
Javist Offline

I'm for first one.

p.s Can't there be both variants? Smile
Maybe, a checkbox in the launcher/options.. bool in cfg or something like that?
Probably the task is too complex for such switching, just guessing.

unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 03:27 PM by Javist.)
09-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

I am sticking with Option #1. Old custom stories will have to be reupdated, but that's something common.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
09-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Website Find
Fatalist Offline

Threads: 8

Second.
Because first one will potentially break any mods using custom models.
And my mod uses too much custom stuff...

09-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

(09-16-2013, 09:15 AM)Patrik Wrote: 1) Patch the old TDD models to have the correct up_axisNew models will work correctly out-of-the-box. However, this will potentially break any mods using custom models with the wrong up_axis set! Should not affect that many mods, and it would be easy for the modder to patch.
The first one option. Because it's truly not a pain in the ass to patch old mods or mods in production. And if you guys agree to update all of the TDD models, then it's just a piggishness on the part of modders do not agree to do the same, it's unfair. The fair decision - you have to update TDD assets, modders too have to update their assets. IMO of course.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 12:32 PM by Alex Ros.)
09-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Website Find