Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I make the Level Editor prefer my FC directory?
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34
How do I make the Level Editor prefer my FC directory?

Simple enough question - how do I get the Level Editor to, by default, load say, my static objects instead of the default game. The reason I ask is because I have a custom grass static object that I want to place randomly in great quantity, but I have to use the CTRL+D method because I can't actually select the grass from the list to select it and drag it everywhere.

Edit: My bad for the wrong forum, thanks mod.

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2013, 08:33 PM by DamnNoHtml.)
09-19-2013, 08:24 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: How do I make the Level Editor prefer my FC directory?

Duplicate the files into the original Amnesia directories.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Website Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

(09-19-2013, 08:34 PM)Your Computer Wrote: Duplicate the files into the original Amnesia directories.

But then when referencing them from inside my full conversion mod, they are pointing the original files which I am not modifying at all. In fact, I'm following your self-contained FC tutorial since Through the Portal was a massive pain in the ass to install.

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
09-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Well, there are ways to circumvent having your development environment load the out-dated files when loading them in game (indeed, you wouldn't have to worry about this come release time, you simply need the level editor to register the file name, since you wouldn't be distributing the old files anyway). For example, the game tends to load files in the order the directories are listed in the resources.cfg file. So, by placing your directory above the Amnesia directories, the game should give higher priority to your FC files and disregard the out-dated files that you place in the original Amnesia directories.

If that doesn't work, you can always give symbolic links a shot (i.e. assuming Windows Vista or later).

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2013, 08:48 PM by Your Computer.)
09-19-2013, 08:47 PM
Website Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

About changing the editor's default folder for static objects, you gotta edit the file redist/MainEditorSettings.cfg
You'll know what to do when you see its content.
It should solve your grass placement problem.

btw, this works too if you want the machine for pigs models listed in static objets instead of ATDD.

09-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Found that earlier by accident. Appreciate it anyway Amn!

09-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(09-20-2013, 09:30 AM)Amn Wrote: About changing the editor's default folder for static objects, you gotta edit the file redist/MainEditorSettings.cfg
You'll know what to do when you see its content.
It should solve your grass placement problem.

btw, this works too if you want the machine for pigs models listed in static objets instead of ATDD.

The reason why i didn't mention that is because it'll create another, worse problem in the process: you'll lose direct, menu access to the original assets.

09-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Website Find