Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
A question for y'all
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1
RE: A question for y'all

Routine.

Perma death.

You'd like it more I guess.
09-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Find
Doomed316 Offline

Threads: 3

(09-23-2013, 06:52 AM)sasaluvsamnesia7 Wrote: Throughout as I played, I tried my hardest not to die because I didn't want to experience death in game. I wanted to feel as if I was in Mandus's shoes, and so, yeah, I was nervous to know what happens when you die, but when I saw how I felt less afraid. (I didn't die until close to the end, when I fell in the water and the electric, invisible water-dweller got me.) The game actually put me ahead of the fall instead of making me try again, sadly, so I know what you mean. Some sort of death sequence would've been quite interesting, instead of the same-old scratch marks on the screen like what we got in the original.

I think if this game was designed like zombie U it would have replay ability and a different environment every time you spawn. It would be nice if this game were like that because it is programmed with angel script which allows for randomly generated environments. I just feel that this game would have had replay ability if it had that, to be honest TDD would have been eplayable as well.
09-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

(09-23-2013, 11:08 PM)Doomed316 Wrote:
(09-23-2013, 06:52 AM)sasaluvsamnesia7 Wrote: Throughout as I played, I tried my hardest not to die because I didn't want to experience death in game. I wanted to feel as if I was in Mandus's shoes, and so, yeah, I was nervous to know what happens when you die, but when I saw how I felt less afraid. (I didn't die until close to the end, when I fell in the water and the electric, invisible water-dweller got me.) The game actually put me ahead of the fall instead of making me try again, sadly, so I know what you mean. Some sort of death sequence would've been quite interesting, instead of the same-old scratch marks on the screen like what we got in the original.

I think if this game was designed like zombie U it would have replay ability and a different environment every time you spawn. It would be nice if this game were like that because it is programmed with angel script which allows for randomly generated environments. I just feel that this game would have had replay ability if it had that, to be honest TDD would have been eplayable as well.

The thing with randomized environments is that you can't have optimal scare design because you'd have to design multiple situations that are also randomized.

Look at L4D, the enemy spawns and such are randomized and it works in that game because it's a game that's centered around gameplay. But in games that are centered around an atmospheric experience (like all FG games) then the scares and atmosphere would suffer a bit.

Routine, from Lunar Software, fixes that by giving you the whole game's world right from the get go. No linearity at all (or so they say). You can go anywhere as long as you find the needed pass codes and explore and discover as you go along aimlessly or not. The wrinkle is that if you die you lose all progress.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2013, 11:18 PM by Cuyir.)
09-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Find
Atwa Offline

Threads: 0

I think they kinda failed to make the creature menacing.

A pig monster is so easy to make fun of, its so lazy to simply post a piglet picture and laugh. Which inherently creates a problem, something so easy to dismiss needs further buildup to demonize. In a sense I think you are right OP and something should have been done, I can't say what exactly cause its certainly hard.

Personally I found the game scary, not quite as the first game but there was certainly parts where I was tempted to just shut the game off and not play for a while. I found the monster scary, which I kinda contribute to the fact that I had previous to playing the game seen videos of pigs being butchered in very gratuitous and gruesome ways, while they were squealing at the top of their lungs. That itself was enough for me to feel genuine terror towards the creature. Maybe a slaughterhouse level early on would have been effective in creating a disdain for the creature. I don't know.
09-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-23-2013, 03:01 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: You mean boredom?
*sigh* What a very constructive and informative post. See, that is the reason I prefer to have game design discussions outside of these forums nowadays...nothing against you personally, mind you, it's just an annoying tendency I'm noticing lately. -.-

Hey, I got bored out of my socks by wandering around until I got stuck. Ain't a crime to say that Amnesia was far more entertaining. :p
09-24-2013, 05:05 AM
Find