Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Self-Advertising, and Proper Marketing - Getting Your Mod/Custom Story Known
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Self-Advertising, and Proper Marketing - Getting Your Mod/Custom Story Known

gonna be honest boosting how much exposure they have on here isn't going to do jack shit, i mean yeah it might be beneficial for new members looking for mods but amnesia mods have lost so much traction and importance in the modding community over the last year that i'd estimate only like 20-30 people probably come here looking for them a month.

nah man

if you wanna get your mod out there you need to venture out of the general fg forums/moddb side of thing. kreek was pretty much on point earlier, you want some real exposure then you're gonna have to venture out to other communities and websites. send it to people who run game/mod review blogs, send pre release copies to youtubers for let's play, post it on other game oriented forums etc etc etc. from there if you're really persistent about getting other people to check it out then it should spread naturally. like i said, ya gotta look for actual communities of people who are interested in the same sorta stuff and you'll hit a gold mine. if one person in the community is impressed, then they'll hype it up and share it with the other people in the community, and then those people will share it with even more people, yadda yadda yadda

point is, if you want some real exposure you gotta branch out from just this little community. luckily i've got contact with cry so i'm hoping to just hit him up with a pre release copy of my mod once it's out (which should get it plenty of exposure as i'm sure you could guess), but really just getting people from other communities interested in it too will do the trick.

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2013, 09:56 PM by Kman.)
09-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Website Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Self-Advertising, and Proper Marketing - Getting Your Mod/Custom Story Known

1. I want to keep it 'low-pressure'. I do this for a hobby. Having people pester me 'to deliver' is off-putting.

principle ("Overhyping something bad business practice, and I don't do it!").

Even though my statement sounds something like this, it's moreso for practical reasons. I'm not sure I will have the faith to go 'all through' with this. I hope I do. But I might quit doing this - if it suddenly becomes boring. At the moment I don't want to make promises I'm not sure I can keep!

Marketing etc. is something I'll definately think about at a later stage though. I have so much more work to do though (1 year? I dunno.), but once it is nearing finish I'll do my best to spread news about it. I want to time the hype with the release of my mod.

On a related note (after a quick google) I noticed that my mod 'Spacies' is mentioned in relation to 'Routine' on a swedish gaming site by one of the users: http://www.fz.se/artiklar/nyheter/201306...dig-skrika

Which brings my to point 2 (question 2):
I think that a 'good work' speaks for itself. The effect of having made something really good will get people talking about it. The work should preferably be unique in some way - because that makes it memorable and separable from other mods. If your work is really good you can probably contact gaming magazines, and once viewing your high quality work they will deem it good enough to write about. By then it reaches more people, those people continue talking about it and share it. But the first step is making something truly good and unique I guess. :]

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2013, 11:39 PM by Acies.)
09-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Find
Deadon Offline

Threads: 5

Personally, I'd do what Kman said and RELEASE DEMOS. Demos are the best way to show what you have. Whether it be Great Maps, Horrifying Moments, or Death-Defying Puzzles.
Show What You Got!!!

2 Mappers are definitely better than one.
02-20-2014, 01:40 AM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

Good necro

02-20-2014, 02:48 AM
Find
AGP Offline

Threads: 45

This might seem like a silly answer, but why not try to promote a section on creating a good trailer for one's mod? Not only that, but other promotional materials, same as is done with TV shows and movies, but more restrained to internet sites.

Providing you can come up with a mind-blowing trailer and maybe, for example, post it on YouTube and along with the trailer have some behind-the-scenes footage or maybe create some posters/wallpapers, you could easily garner some attention for your work.

Granted, yes: there are many who have done this, but why not compile a list of materials to help towards teaching modders to create these sorts of promotional teasers, like the trailers and posters and wallpapers.

02-24-2014, 07:59 AM
Find
Dr.Medic Offline

Threads: 0

A good trailer is important. You don't want to make it look too well...amateur. Windows movie maker, overused music etc...

It's hard to do it right but its worth it.
02-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Website Find