Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner asking for some help.
daortir Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Beginner asking for some help.

Damn I feel so stupid now : d. Thanks then, my level is now perfectly working ^^.
I find this parameter thing kinda confusing... But I guess I'll get used to it.

Probably more issues incoming, though !

09-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

You're not being stupid :p Being stupid is not asking questions! :D

What program are you using to write your scripts?

(09-26-2013, 07:07 AM)Darth FlawlessHair Wrote: <calling me out on my mistakes>
How did I manage that!? Sorry! Ignore me and listen to Mr. Darth FlawlessHair :p (I edited my post anyways).

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
09-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Find
daortir Offline

I'm using Geany ^^. Downloaded it a few days ago. I'm gettin used to it, I think I'll discover a few handy things about the way the software helps you about syntax later on, but right now I'm very far from knowing everything about it x).

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2013, 06:09 PM by daortir.)
09-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

If I remember correctly: there's a setting where you can change the language to C++ in the top bar of drop-down menus (I don't use Geany, I'm going off of one of YC's youtube videos). It colour-codes the types of "things" - strings, integers, floats, bools, etc (I don't know the right word D:).

Definitely helps with proof-reading because, if something's not the right colour, you know where the error is :D

EDIT: Looks like this in Notepad++, but Geany does something similar:
Spoiler below!

[Image: example_of_colour_coding_by_rueppells_fox-d6nzdr6.jpg]

Edit: I just realized I spelled "bed sheets" wrong... I'm just full of mistakes this week! :p

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2013, 06:27 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
09-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Find
daortir Offline

Hey !
First of all, I did the Geany thinggie, it's really nice thanks for the tip =).

I'm asking for something again !
I wanted to make some statues spawn. I thought I could do as for a monster : set them to inactive, and make a callback to activate them upon coliding with an area... But when I unchecked Active, nothing happened ^^. They were still there.

So, is there a way to make the deformed_man statues disappear and reappear ?

09-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

I'm glad the Geany thingy helps :D As for your statue issue:

- It is an entity, so it should disappear (not extremely useful, I know)

- Make sure there's no map_cache files in the virtual storage, they stop changes to your map from occurring (C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME HERE\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Amnesia - The Dark Descent)

- Check that the name of the area in your script and the area in the level editor are the same (it is CaSe SeNsItIvE :p)

- Check that the name of the statues are the same in your script and in the level editor (also case sensitive)

- Check that the name of your script in the AddEntityCollideCallback is the same as where you call the script (also case sensitive)

- If that doesn't work, post your script here and I'll take a looksie c:

09-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Find
daortir Offline

The point is, there is no script involved ><... It's just like... I set te statue to "Inactive" and it's still there. I tried to leave it active and script it Inactive in the .hps, but it didn't make any difference.
I also tried with another entity, and I had the same problem.
Sadly, I don't think it's about the map_cache, since everything else works and changes are applied u_u...

Anyway right now I did without it, I didn't like the idea of a surprise-buttsecks statue spawn jumpscare of death anyway.

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2013, 11:45 PM by daortir.)
09-27-2013, 11:44 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Huh... I just tested with the same statue and I got the same result as you. I think it might be a 'static' entity type, which means (for whatever reason) it doesn't go active/inactive (the other ones I know of that are like this are the rows/piles of books).

I thought perhaps using the CreateEntityAtArea script would work, but it didn't exactly work out how I hoped it would; the physics for the statue were created (using physics debug mode, you can see the blocks outlining where the statue is supposed to be, and you can run into it/stand on it), but the actual statue wasn't visible. Sorry, but I don't think I have a solution for this one D: (that's a bit embarrassing).

Perhaps it's better not to use a, as you put it, "surprise-buttsecks statue spawn jumpscare of death" anyways :p

If you still want something like that though, I can reassure you that both the angel and the suit of armor can be set active/inactive :D

09-28-2013, 03:54 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

As Kiandra said, the statue is indeed static. However, there is a way to turn it into an entity which you can toggle it's state:

-Go to the model editor. Then, open the statue.

-Create a body, feel free to change it's properties (except mass, this one must be 0), and make it match the statue (like a Bounding Box):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_bounding_box
http://www.gameit.es/wp-content/uploads/...ng_box.gif

-Go to view<Outline and make the body the parent of the statue (polysurface, or something like that)

-Then, go to User Defined Variables. Set it to Object<Static

-Save it as "mycreepystatue" or whatever you want, note that it MUST have a different name than the original or things will happen. As I said. Save it in "YOURCS<entities<mycreepystatue (again, whatever you want)

However, keep a copy of it in the original entities folder, so you can access it from the level Editor.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2013, 11:28 AM by The chaser.)
09-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Find
daortir Offline

Hello again everyone !
Since I'm kinda done with my script questions for now, I'd like to get some help on the CS itself, the lighting/atmosphere and stuff : ).

Here are two screenshots of the levels I built so far, would you please look at it and tell me what you think I can improve ?

Spoiler below!

This level is within a dream, after a very short level in the storage that I didn't build yet. Or actually i accidentally deleted half of it. Anyway, here's what the dream/hallucination looks like :
[Image: 1380532486096551900.png]

This is just a random view of the mansion, I choose this angle so you guys can see the lighting. I still have to work on my lamp lighting but I'll post screens later ^^.

[Image: 1380532582021611700.png]

09-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Find