Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Slime textures
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
Slime textures

Hello there, mates! 0/

I have encountered a problem: I'm a big fan of monsters, especially of Dead Space-like monsters. I'm making one by myself, and I would like that it's organic part (there's a mechanical) was similar to dead space monsters.

References:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20...iathan.jpg

http://leviathyn.com/wp-content/uploads/...1/ds32.jpg

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/orig...een016.jpg

http://main.makeuseoflimited.netdna-cdn....space.jpeg

Especially the first and last photo are the effect I'm searching for. I have tried using the slime texture from Amnesia, but it doesn't look quite like I want.

Do you guys know how to create the type of textures the monsters have, or what basis can I use to make one like it?

Also, I'm curious: How were the slime textures created?

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Threads: 20
RE: Slime textures

All the details that are not actual geometry were likely sculpted into a high polygon version of the monster, before being baked into a normal map. The shiny, slimy look to the flesh is probably achieved with a very bright specular map (to give it that "wetness") , which you can make from your diffuse texture.

The best way to get those lumps and awesome gross details is to first bring your character into a sculpting program, and sculpt away until you've got a a high detail mesh ready to be baked to your low poly mesh.
10-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26

AMFP had a lot of goop laying around at some parts. Might be worth spelunking through their textures.

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
10-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

(10-06-2013, 10:46 PM)JonnyAnomaly Wrote: All the details that are not actual geometry were likely sculpted into a high polygon version of the monster, before being baked into a normal map. The shiny, slimy look to the flesh is probably achieved with a very bright specular map (to give it that "wetness") , which you can make from your diffuse texture.

The best way to get those lumps and awesome gross details is to first bring your character into a sculpting program, and sculpt away until you've got a a high detail mesh ready to be baked to your low poly mesh.

I see... a program like ZBrush, I guess. Yeah, I have played a lot with the slime texture, quite useful for stuff. The specular map is very important to give the look it has Smile

I was referring more to the diffuse texture itself, not the normal and specular, but thanks anyways! Smile

(10-07-2013, 02:23 PM)DeAngelo Wrote: AMFP had a lot of goop laying around at some parts. Might be worth spelunking through their textures.

err, I haven't played AAMFP yet, and I don't want to spoil myself with stuff... I might look forward to it in a future, though Smile

This is my monster: It's going to appear in one of my stories, ONLY SEE IF GOING TO HELP, OTHERWISE KEEP OUT:

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
10-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26

(10-07-2013, 09:27 PM)The chaser Wrote:
(10-06-2013, 10:46 PM)JonnyAnomaly Wrote: All the details that are not actual geometry were likely sculpted into a high polygon version of the monster, before being baked into a normal map. The shiny, slimy look to the flesh is probably achieved with a very bright specular map (to give it that "wetness") , which you can make from your diffuse texture.

I see... a program like ZBrush, I guess. Yeah, I have played a lot with the slime texture, quite useful for stuff. The specular map is very important to give the look it has Smile

I was referring more to the diffuse texture itself, not the normal and specular, but thanks anyways! Smile

(10-07-2013, 02:23 PM)DeAngelo Wrote: AMFP had a lot of goop laying around at some parts. Might be worth spelunking through their textures.

err, I haven't played AAMFP yet, and I don't want to spoil myself with stuff... I might look forward to it in a future, though Smile

This is my monster: It's going to appear in one of my stories, ONLY SEE IF GOING TO HELP, OTHERWISE KEEP OUT:

Spoiler below!

I think he should be wearing a gas mask. I dunno why, I just see a gas mask when I look at his eyes.

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
10-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

(10-07-2013, 11:04 PM)DeAngelo Wrote:
(10-07-2013, 09:27 PM)The chaser Wrote:

Spoiler below!

I think he should be wearing a gas mask. I dunno why, I just see a gas mask when I look at his eyes.

Hey, good idea! I'll model it later, let's see how it looks Smile

As you can see, I'm a lot better in modelling than texturing, so if someone has an idea to improve my monster, please tell it!

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
10-08-2013, 06:39 AM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Threads: 20

Have you or are you going to animate him yourself?
10-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

(10-09-2013, 08:48 PM)JonnyAnomaly Wrote: Have you or are you going to animate him yourself?

At first I thought that I should P.M a maya pro to put him the grunt animations, but now that I know that Blender animations work with the update, I'll see how does YourComputer do it and then I'll run some tests, if it works, I'll do the animations myself Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
10-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

Curiosity killed the cat and now I have to contribute/attempt to help somehow:

I *think* I might have a slight suggestion for the slime-texture that may help. It's more about the actual details of the texture used rather than how to implement it (since I don't know how myself), so if that's not what you were asking, ignore me :)
Spoiler below!

Obviously modeling is not my forte (I'm a 2D artist), so feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt:

The texture you're using currently is the slime model from ATDD, right? The reason it doesn't look 'quite right' if you're going for something very similar to a dead-space monster is that it's too smooth looking: skin is imperfect - there are pores (pores/texture is the main one) and wrinkles, scars, and creases to it, but the slime you're using as a texture has no skin flaws, so it look more like very wet clay than a slimy monster. I'm not saying your model itself isn't detailed - the choice of texture is just undetailed.

For comparison, look at the second image link you posted (or this one, which is also a dead-space monster) - the thing still looks slimy, but you can see the texture of its 'skin' - the holes and tears, pores, and creases - which is a lot of detail, but it's what is causing that effect (rather than looking like a red version of this).

So, based on that, I would probably recommend starting with the grunt's skin texture and messing around with it until you get the high-shine, wet, slimy look, rather than forging all that detail out of the slime :D Also on that topic, I believe there is more than one texture for the slime, a few of which are less 'gooey' looking and more textured (used for the slime_egg models I believe).

Anyways, best of luck to you and I certainly hope your monster turns out! c: It's looking great so far and I'm really excited about your custom story too :D

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2013, 06:53 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
10-13-2013, 06:51 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

(10-13-2013, 06:51 AM)Kia Wrote: Curiosity killed the cat and now I have to contribute/attempt to help somehow:

I *think* I might have a slight suggestion for the slime-texture that may help. It's more about the actual details of the texture used rather than how to implement it (since I don't know how myself), so if that's not what you were asking, ignore me Smile
Spoiler below!

Obviously modeling is not my forte (I'm a 2D artist), so feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt:

The texture you're using currently is the slime model from ATDD, right? The reason it doesn't look 'quite right' if you're going for something very similar to a dead-space monster is that it's too smooth looking: skin is imperfect - there are pores (pores/texture is the main one) and wrinkles, scars, and creases to it, but the slime you're using as a texture has no skin flaws, so it look more like very wet clay than a slimy monster. I'm not saying your model itself isn't detailed - the choice of texture is just undetailed.

For comparison, look at the second image link you posted (or this one, which is also a dead-space monster) - the thing still looks slimy, but you can see the texture of its 'skin' - the holes and tears, pores, and creases - which is a lot of detail, but it's what is causing that effect (rather than looking like a red version of this).

So, based on that, I would probably recommend starting with the grunt's skin texture and messing around with it until you get the high-shine, wet, slimy look, rather than forging all that detail out of the slime Big Grin Also on that topic, I believe there is more than one texture for the slime, a few of which are less 'gooey' looking and more textured (used for the slime_egg models I believe).

Anyways, best of luck to you and I certainly hope your monster turns out! c: It's looking great so far and I'm really excited about your custom story too Big Grin

EXACTLY what I needed, Kiandra, many thanks! Smile I'll get some portions of the grunt skin and I'll apply it to my slime (and viceversa). I do modelling okay, but I suck a texturing, so thanks.

EDIT: I just realized Kiandra's avatar is a slow gif...

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2013, 12:33 PM by The chaser.)
10-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Find