Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Slime textures
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: Slime textures

I need extra help, not that related to decorating, but the 3D model texture:

I UV Unwrapped another enemy model quite well, in my opinion. The parts are separated, and it needs some organic touch (creases, specifically). However, when I apply the texture to the 3D model, it appears with seams:

WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK

http://i.imgur.com/p9vosGz.png

So yeah, the grunt texture has it's islands separated, like mine... but it's seamless... how do I achieve that?

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Threads: 20

Its a good idea to make the UV cuts along more hidden areas like under the arms and down the sides. The seams are more obvious when you make the diffuse texture that has variation at the edges so when its applied to the model, this variation in the texture makes the seams more noticeable. One of the best ways to texture a model that I've seen is to paint it in mudbox - You can use projection painting to paint your model using parts of photos. The benefits of texturing that way are that you can see the texture on your model in real time and when you are done, it will save out a diffuse texture for you, using the UV's that you have made, and the resulting texture will be also be seamless. Its a much easier and enjoyable process than using photoshop or gimp to make the texture from scratch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgjjHYpgZhc - Video of projection painting in mudbox

To fix the seams in your texture, you will have to try to blend the two sides of the texture that are meeting together in photoshop or gimp, so its not as obvious.
10-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Yeah, basically it's a matter of placing UV edges in good places and, more importantly, creating textures which are 'seamless' from a neighbouring island to the next.

So, it's down to 'how' you choose to create your textures. 3D painting is a good option - zbrush or mari are other good options.

Most importantly is a good high poly model - something which you haven't made for this creature. A good high poly model will allow you to bring in a normal map which shows skin folds, muscle definition, skin noise, others etc. From this (the highpoly) a displacement map - a sort of detailed masking/shadowing overlay - can be created which you can use in the creation of your diffuse map.

All of everything for a good creature stems from a good high poly!

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

10-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

I saw an example of what you can do with ZBrush:

http://area.autodesk.com/userdata/fckdat...ator_1.jpg (I LOVE IT)

http://area.autodesk.com/img/products/mu...nterop.png

Can I ask something: Is it okay to torrent the program? I'm not going to use it for commercial ends, but a hobby instead, so I guess paying 600$+ is excessive, at least for me.

And it looks awesome, imagine the first image in Amnesia : D

I know how 3D painting is made, I have done it by myself in Blender a few times, but to make small things... how could I make my monster seamless with this technique in ZBrush/Blender?

Also, any tips on how to make skin creases?

PD: Thanks for the answers Tongue

PD2: Jonny, that 3D painting of a face is plain gorgeous :$

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2013, 10:11 PM by The chaser.)
10-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Find