Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The one-week Environment #2 Finished!
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
RE: The one-week Environment #2

(10-09-2013, 05:30 AM)Statyk Wrote: The draw distance can be changed if you go to the game.cfg

Boxlights also can't really go further than 400x400x400 or else it leaves artifacts, if that's what you have going on there.

That's after I deleted the boxlights, but that's good to know. Smile

Maybe pointlights are the problem? I have a bunch that go 100 distance, but... that doesn't seem very far.

[EDIT: JonnyAnomaly- copy the actual image link (the one ending in .jpg) in between these forum tags;
[ img ]http://www.url.com/img.jpg[ /img ] and remove the spaces, and you're good to go.]

[Image: signature-2.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2013, 05:40 AM by Streetboat.)
10-09-2013, 05:39 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

Hey, hey, hey guys, did you know there's a sky-dome in the AAMFP assets and it reacts to fog (as long as the alpha < 1). I'm sure you brilliant people (who are much better at editing and making things than myself) could do some fun stuff with that to fix the issues of skyboxes matching fog c:

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
10-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 17

just lost half of my map i was doing in a black box crash... just fucking great

The International Narcotics Traffic
10-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I'm going for a desert theme. Not sure I can pull it off - might not be possible to create okay looking terrain for HPL.

The dream:
[Image: dunesx2.jpg]

I like yours Jonny. Good colors and detail. Currently remaking my terrain ~

Since you can't have 'tiled detail maps' in combination with diffuse,normal etc. it becomes very hard for me to create decent-looking terrain!

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

10-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

The basics are nearly done; details come next, then finalizing lighting. (Keep in mind that this is incredibly simple because I had one hour to work on it today; I will spend more time on the shape later, such as adding ventilation ducts, more windows, parking spaces, etc.)
[Image: NiIHCFM.jpg]

10-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Nope, can't do!

I fold.. Amnesia + terrain I can't do

Edit: I pass this challenge. Won't be able to produce correct terrain for it ~

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2013, 08:57 PM by Acies.)
10-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Threads: 20

I'm not sure what a detail map is, but since HPL2 can't do texture blending and things, I think the only way to get varied textures and details throughout a terrain is to make a basic terrain with a tiling sand texture, and then make a large sand dunes mesh which you can use a new texture with different details on, but paint the texture so it blends into the terrain texture near the bottom. Then you can position them together in the 3D app so they don't all appear made from one mesh. I guess the smaller/more linear the map, the easier it is to hide these seams from the player. The dunes further away can just be part of a skybox.

I think this idea can be done nicely, but will always be much easier on a smaller scale with more linear travel through the map, as opposed to a wide open world.

[Image: image.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2013, 10:40 PM by JonnyAnomaly.)
10-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Yeah, what you say is true. Considering how large of an undertaking making a properly looking landscape is I would want to do that in an engine which has full support for it. Mostly so to properly utilize all the tools currently available and learn a technique which is sustainable across all modern engines (ultimately a skill which I can bring with me and apply for new scenarios).

Learning how to make terrains using HPL2 would have me spending time trying to work around limitations, rather than exploring the possibilities and pushing my experience. Ultimately, as I would attempt to create terrain for a new engine, I would have to relearn the workflow to account for all of the details.

It's also the fact of having made something which one can be proud of in the end - something which looks as good as possible!

Someday I'll try something like this:

Thanks for trying to help me out and motivate me! I'm fairly certain 'modern' landscapes contain that technique which you showed above, but I want to eat the whole cake - not just the crumbs!

Edit: I wish everyone the best of luck in this challenge! I'm sure the areas will still look good. I just want to learn landscapes a certain way :]

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2013, 11:17 PM by Acies.)
10-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Threads: 20

Beginnings of some ruins that I plan to expand on

[Image: church_WIP.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2013, 06:34 AM by JonnyAnomaly.)
10-10-2013, 06:29 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

i wish i could model :<

10-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Find