Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Improve the game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hell yeah!
20.83%
20 20.83%
Nah lets forget about the game..
29.17%
28 29.17%
No, it's fine the way it is! (added by pluto)
50.00%
48 50.00%
Total 96 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 52 Vote(s) - 2.46 Average
Disappointed with AAMFP
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: Disappointed with AAMFP

I personally feel the shadow currently is best left the amount of development it had. It was MEANT to be a terrifying force that could not be stopped, and nothing deeper than that. I think that's the charm of the whole thing. The intrigue, and developed part of villainy falls upon Alexander's part of the story.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

(09-27-2013, 07:09 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: I personally feel the shadow currently is best left the amount of development it had. It was MEANT to be a terrifying force that could not be stopped, and nothing deeper than that. I think that's the charm of the whole thing. The intrigue, and developed part of villainy falls upon Alexander's part of the story.

Ehh...was never really terrifying for me. So I'd have liked some more background info, not too much (cause this is a horror game and being in the dark, so to speak, helps).
09-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-27-2013, 07:09 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: I personally feel the shadow currently is best left the amount of development it had. It was MEANT to be a terrifying force that could not be stopped, and nothing deeper than that. I think that's the charm of the whole thing. The intrigue, and developed part of villainy falls upon Alexander's part of the story.

It's an idea that sounds better on paper. In execution, it's laughably incompetent and inconsistent for a supposedly unstoppable universal force.
09-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Find
GregorusPrime Offline

Threads: 0

(09-27-2013, 03:06 AM)Abraxas Wrote: You're still implying that the inventory and and the ability to throw stuff was a critical part of the spirit of the game. But, you are entitled to have your opinion. This argument is going nowhere slowly.

Am I the only one around here who feels that, yes, both of these things were important parts of TDD? Being able to pick up and interact with anything in the environment gave a sense of reality to your surroundings, making it seem like everything around you had a purpose and a reason to be there rather than simply being hot-glued to the scenery. And the inventory allowed for more complex puzzles than AMFP did, not that The Chinese Room even tried to make puzzles with any degree of complexity. That might interfere with the story they want to shove down your throat, kind of like being able to move anything but what they want you to move.
10-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I mention some less noticed things then, but before that I just like to make this clear:
The game was not scary, I saw many flaws/improvable things even as I played, But dispite everything the game was satisfying for me.

-Music was a huge dissapointment for me. I am not saying it was bad not all but the problem was that it was almost absent from the game, and the few times it did appear was at events and never as part of the gameplay moments where it could have freaked us out. Ambient music could have done quite the buildup and the monster music itself, well it wass not bad either but the problem was that it was not horror music it was cliche action drums we know from movies, and regardless it wass useless as none of it was prior to encounters where the fear is found and instead during encounters were it is released to be build up again(which it was not).
Listening to tracks like the menu and kyrie really tells us that Jessica definitely had what it took to make really horryfying music so seeing AAMFP fail at that because they simply chose to leave it out was quite dissapointing.
Dont get me wrong, levels with only environment sound can be quite scary and it is not a failure on its own. We only have to look TDD to see that it can work with levels like rainy hall or the sewers fx, but it worked in amnesia because we had the contrast and not just constant silence and noise throughout the game. I mean just imagine the water monster chase without contrast? starting off all quet, then comes the kaernk and the music kicks in, and most importantly the hall afterwards completely changes things with its "happy" like music and sets things ready for more buildup.

-Another problem was that due to TCR's event centered design enemies did rarely feel present to the player. The best example of that is the chase in the tunnels were the door closing instantly after you. They make the enemies present briefly but then throw it all away by giving the player a bunch of obvious safety. by that I mean that it does not matter if the pigs are actually there, but that if the player knows it. and when you close doors behind us, make fences magically appear or take control from the us, you give players that obvious "you're safe now".

It is because of this I find the encounter in the "coal room" to be the best one, but even then the presence is taken away by making the player escape through a the coal shaft(or whatever you call it) which it stands quite obvious that the enemies wont be able to follow.

I know a lot of people dont want a copy/paste amnesia but the thing is that if you take something out we either expect something good(horryfying) to come from taking that or we expect that you put in something new to make up for it.

also gramma erros :P

EDIT: I need an in-between option, I think the game has failures but should not be worked on further its too late. but at the same time it was a satisfying and certainly not forgettable experience so the second answer is too ruff for me. damn decisions XD
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2013, 11:35 PM by WALP.)
10-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Find
linkhead2 Offline

Threads: 4
my thoughts about amnesia a machine for pigs

ok so when the first 15 mins started to happen i was talking to my big bro about the game i asked him why i couldn't do things and how they removed all the pickup-able anything and how they removed the sanity and the inv and then i said well "why did they take away all the good stuff" so then i was playing more mmm not bad and then when they got to the good bits like when the town gets attacked by piggies that was when the good stuff started to kick in and i have seen that they have not wasted there time doing the good stuff like the sanity and the health and the hunger they made it good soo frictionalgames you did good for the last amnesia Big Grin

such a shame that is the last Angry
10-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Find