Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Multiple Issues Help For Some Local Questions
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46
Question  For Some Local Questions

I have a quite nice set of maps (diffuse, normal, specular and height). Everything is made properly, no cheating with autogenerated maps, so everything's really looks and works fine, at least as a... hmm... pictures, I have not checked it ingame. And just a single crazy question is bothering me. I just thought, could I use a Height Map as a Normal Map B Channel, which is responsible for Z vector, with inverted colors? I presume that's a bad idea as long as... well, as long as that's nonsense. But, maybe, I am wrong and such a trick may lead to some interesting results. I do not know. And, please, don't get me wrong, I am not a lazy son of a bitch. I am asking, not just checking by myself, only because I am waiting for a release of HPL Editor Updated to normally work. So here are some pictures...

Normal map...
http://i.imgur.com/q7G5Z45.jpg

Normal map B channel...
http://i.imgur.com/yAdimJE.jpg

Height map...
http://i.imgur.com/DHUSuun.jpg

Height map with inverted colors, presumably, for usage as Normal map B channel...
http://i.imgur.com/GTZyB9o.jpg

Thanks in advance!
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2013, 03:34 PM by Alex Ros.)
10-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Height Map as a Normal Map B Channel

You could, but it doesn't quite work that way, won't give you perfect results, and at worst would screw up your entire map. I'd advice against doing this.
10-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

RE: For Questions

What is the cause of the problem, when dynamic objects-items are sometimes "drowning" in walls-floors-ceiling? And I am talking about original non custom dynamic objects-items like, for example, wooden box with normal collision shape. It could happen, "drowning" of the dynamic objects-items, both with statics and with entities. And it's not something unrepeatable, occasional, if you noticed that somewhere that "drowning" problem would be there forever. So I believe there is something certain that causing that.

Thanks in advance!
10-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Website Find
Alex Ros Offline

RE: For Some Local Questions

"Is there anybody out there?" No one knows what is causing the problem with "drowning" of dynamic objects-items thrown, for example, at the wall?
10-20-2013, 12:46 AM
Website Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

(10-20-2013, 12:46 AM)Alex Ros Wrote: "Is there anybody out there?" No one knows what is causing the problem with "drowning" of dynamic objects-items thrown, for example, at the wall?

If I knew I had already told you, but I'm not really into a complicated making of normal/height map, so...

Unless someone who is better than me at this comes, you are alone by the moment, I'm sorry Sad

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-20-2013, 07:22 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Drowning? I'm not entirely sure of what you are speaking about. There is something odd about height maps for Amnesia - they tend to warp the texture (if that is what you mean when speaking about 'drowning').

Otherwise, if it's not related to textures, but rather in-game physics; could you describe the issue more clearly? And share what type of object/wall causes this issue?

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

10-20-2013, 11:18 PM
Find