Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-texture a door way?
GoreGrinder99 Offline

Threads: 47
Re-texture a door way?

I have created numerous wall primitives but have yet to figure out how to re-texture a door way. I have copied all the door ways over to my conversion and edited the image files to the wall textures but they all come out distorted and not placed properly in proportion to the walls. I have some plain textures which it works perfect for but some have trims and vinyls which cause the unevenness.

Would I be able to re-texture them in say, Blender, or simply create a new door way with it? What would be the best solution?

-Grind to the Gore-
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013, 06:46 AM by GoreGrinder99.)
10-20-2013, 01:27 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Re-texture a door way?

You can do it. But probably it's because:

- You didn't UV coordinated it right;
- Or, you forgot to convert the faces to tris;

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
10-20-2013, 02:19 AM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

(10-20-2013, 02:19 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: You can do it. But probably it's because:

- You didn't UV coordinated it right;
- Or, you forgot to convert the faces to tris;

Also, I just downloaded Blender for the first time just now and it's overwhelming. Could you walk me through how to properly texture the model with my .dds image? I know how to import a collada file but that's all I got so far.

-Grind to the Gore-
10-20-2013, 02:24 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Select your model (right mouse button). On the bottom bar, there should be a text saying "Object Mode". Click it and choose "Edit Mode". If you already did that, press A. This should highlight all of the mesh.

Look at the right tab. Click the checkered floor icon. You may have to stretch the tab in order to see this. In the Image section, click Open and select your texture. Save. Export it as .dae with these settings (scroll down to do this).

APPLY MODIFIERS - Check
SELECTION ONLY - Optional (this makes the model that you select in the program to be exported.)
INCLUDE CHILDREN - Don't Check
INCLUDE ARMATURES - Don't Check
INCLUDE SHAPE KEYS - Uncheck this

ONLY ACTIVE UV LAYER - Don't Check
INCLUDE UV TEXTURES - Check
INCLUDE MATERIAL TEXTURES - Optional, but I usually left them unchecked.
COPY - Uncheck

DEFORM BONES ONLY - Don't
EXPORT FOR SECOND LIFE - Don't

USE OBJECT INSTANCES - Check it
SORT BY OBJECT NAME - Optional, but I usually leave them unchecked.

Export in your directory, set the name and done!

"Veni, vidi, vici."
10-20-2013, 03:27 AM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

(10-20-2013, 03:27 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Select your model (right mouse button). On the bottom bar, there should be a text saying "Object Mode". Click it and choose "Edit Mode". If you already did that, press A. This should highlight all of the mesh.

Look at the right tab. Click the checkered floor icon. You may have to stretch the tab in order to see this. In the Image section, click Open and select your texture. Save. Export it as .dae with these settings (scroll down to do this).

APPLY MODIFIERS - Check
SELECTION ONLY - Optional (this makes the model that you select in the program to be exported.)

COPY - Uncheck

I'm still not having any luck for whatever reason, I did exactly as you said. I have loaded the murky_castlebase/door_way.dea for the model and want to add a texture to it. Did what you said, even started clean with a new project and followed the tutorial provided in the wiki but still no textures appeared, just the outlines of the model.

Actually, is there a way to make the door way flat? Like just straight up and down, no grooves, bumps and special additions in the model? That would be ideal for what I'm looking for and if I can get a flat doorway then I should be able to apply my textures the normal way through the Material Editor.

-Grind to the Gore-
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2013, 04:17 AM by GoreGrinder99.)
10-20-2013, 03:55 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(10-20-2013, 03:55 AM)GoreGrinder99 Wrote:
(10-20-2013, 03:27 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Select your model (right mouse button). On the bottom bar, there should be a text saying "Object Mode". Click it and choose "Edit Mode". If you already did that, press A. This should highlight all of the mesh.

APPLY MODIFIERS - Check

COPY - Uncheck

I'm still not having any luck for whatever reason, I did exactly as you said. I have loaded the murky_castlebase/door_way.dea for the model and want to add a texture to it. Did what you said, even started clean with a new project and followed the tutorial provided in the wiki but still no textures appeared, just the outlines of the model.

Actually, is there a way to make the door way flat? Like just straight up and down, no grooves, bumps and special additions in the model? That would be ideal for what I'm looking for and if I can get a flat doorway then I should be able to apply my textures the normal way through the Material Editor.

Make it from a plane. Cut it using the knife cut tool (K).

"Veni, vidi, vici."
10-20-2013, 05:30 AM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

(10-20-2013, 05:30 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:
(10-20-2013, 03:55 AM)GoreGrinder99 Wrote:

APPLY MODIFIERS - Check

COPY - Uncheck

Make it from a plane. Cut it using the knife cut tool (K).

Would you happen to know the length and width to cut, plus the length and width of the model itself as a whole? But either way, I'm still not having any luck whatsoever.

-Grind to the Gore-
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2013, 06:04 AM by GoreGrinder99.)
10-20-2013, 05:38 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Can you post picture of the problem, please? It will be easier to identify the source of the problem, as in these matters it could be practically anything Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

(10-20-2013, 07:24 AM)The chaser Wrote: Can you post picture of the problem, please? It will be easier to identify the source of the problem, as in these matters it could be practically anything Smile

After countless applications of textures and materials to the model I decided to edit, the door_way.dae from the murky_castlebase folder, even after successfully applying them and exporting it multiple times over, when I open it up in the Model Editor or in the Level Editor, it only shows the mesh, no texture.

I can't generate a proper .mat file since I can't even use the Model Viewer, it crashes instantly upon start up for whatever reason. I have looked at the exported .dae file from Blender and for some reason, there were never any library_images images whatsoever.

The only thing I have accomplished is exporting what seems to be a functioning model with everything visible in Blender in every mode, but won't load properly in any HPL2 editors, let alone seem to apply any materials or textures to the .dae file.

-Grind to the Gore-
10-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Only the mesh? Then:

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/thi...3d/blender

This page has the process quite well.

Referring to the material thing:

Let's say we have a folder called /static_objects/yourwall/. Open the Material Editor and choose the diffuse, normal, specular and height map, and make a material called THE SAME AS YOUR DIFFUSE TEXTURE (lots of people fail here, so I put caps lock).

The folder should look like this:

-yourwall.dae
-yourwall.msh (if it has been already loaded into Amnesia)
-yourwall.dds
///Other yourwall.dds (nrm, spec, height)
-yourwall.mat

With this, it should work properly Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-20-2013, 08:26 AM
Find