Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Level Editor Help Segmenting Items Within the Editor
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43
Segmenting Items Within the Editor

I'm new to the HPL tools, and the wiki doesn't seem to answer this particular question, so here goes:

Is it possible to cut, split or punch holes through planes or other structures directly from within the level editor? For instance, let's say I have a floor made from a plane and I have a well extending down through it. The hole in the well will be filled with the floor plane, because it passes right through the hollow tube of the well - can this hole be "punched out" of the plane?

This is an example of what I mean:

Pic 01
Pic 02

Thank you for not making fun of my complete newbishness.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2013, 11:34 PM by Paddy™.)
10-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Segmenting Items Within the Editor

Nope you have to that in a 3D software if you want that circular hole.

A work around would be using multiple smaller planes and the well such that they form a hole, and the adjusting their tiling the best you can so you wont be able to see theres multiple planes.
10-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

(10-28-2013, 04:14 PM)The Mug Wrote: Nope you have to that in a 3D software if you want that circular hole.

A work around would be using multiple smaller planes and the well such that they form a hole, and the adjusting their tiling the best you can so you wont be able to see theres multiple planes.

Thanks man!

I've been "brute forcing" my way through problems like this using techniques like the one you suggested, but I was hoping there was a more precise way of doing it. Looks like I'll have to delve into 3D modelling now haha, oh boy...
10-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

The method "The Mug" said is by far the best and the more simple (and the most used) but it isn't required to know 3D Modelling to do this, ask someone here to do this (I can do it if you want Wink)

Well, if you want to make this sensation:

http://i.imgur.com/s4sWDHt.png

Then yeah, 3d modelling is the way, and is actually quite easy to do Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
10-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Wow, thanks for the kind offer! You're very tolerant of newbies Heart

The example I gave in the first post was just one instance of many where I needed the ability to make a hole in a plane, or trim the top off a static object, or otherwise manipulate the structure of an object (rather than simply resize it).

I think I should start looking into learning basic 3D modelling. I'm probably going to need to do this shit when I start working on a proper custom story. At the moment I'm building a random map just to learn the basics, and this was one of the first obstacles I came across.

Thanks for the input!
10-28-2013, 11:33 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

(10-28-2013, 11:33 PM)Paddy™ Wrote: Wow, thanks for the kind offer! You're very tolerant of newbies Heart

The example I gave in the first post was just one instance of many where I needed the ability to make a hole in a plane, or trim the top off a static object, or otherwise manipulate the structure of an object (rather than simply resize it).

I think I should start looking into learning basic 3D modelling. I'm probably going to need to do this shit when I start working on a proper custom story. At the moment I'm building a random map just to learn the basics, and this was one of the first obstacles I came across.

Thanks for the input!

Unless you want to make REALLY innovative environments, 3D modelling isn't that necessary: If you want to make fresh new monsters, or something really new, then go ahead, get in.

I warn you, most of the times what you have to do is to be creative and to use what you have. Take a look at the main Amnesia maps, there are a lot of workarounds there, it's really useful to look at them Smile

3D modelling is a step that you must be completely sure of doing. It's great, sure, but it requires time, patience and skill (a LOT of patience, I warn you).

But yeah, if these things are just puntual, then tell me and I'll do them for you Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
10-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Thanks for the advice mate. I've been working on a map for a couple of weeks, just as a kind of sketchbook of ideas, and I find myself using a lot of workarounds and relying on imagination more than skill haha. I think that, unless I really need to, I shouldn't need to do too much 3D work, because I'm quite happy to reuse enemies and assets from the main games. But if I ever need something basic done, I may call upon your services Heart

P.S. I followed a tutorial on YouTube for using Blender, and it was fun. Might get into it regardless of whether or not I need it!
10-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Personally, I'd go first into Mapping, then scripting and then modelling: If you ever need criticism of your map so you can improve, this is your thread:

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-11760.html

For other questions, feel free to ask in this section, I'll be glad to help Wink

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
10-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Find