Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Religion
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37
RE: Religion

(10-30-2013, 08:42 PM)Ghieri Wrote: Atheists are one of the most hated groups in American

lol

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
10-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(10-30-2013, 08:42 PM)Ghieri Wrote: The debate between religion and atheism is a myth. Atheists are convinced of the most logical position one can take with the information we have today. Evangelicals just won't admit that it is, in fact, the most logical position. Hence the popularity of the many many fallacies they use to defend them.

It "may" be so, but keep in mind that the basis of many religion was mostly illogical to begin with. I don't see that as a reason to debuff the validity of it completely though. While religion cannot be proved, it cannot be proved it doesn't exist either, since it is based in the non-scientific.

Life would be awfully boring if in the end it turned out there was never any supernatural phenomenon in our lives at all.

PS: I am extremely ill-informed in the area of religion so there is like a 98% chance I will embarrass myself horribly in this thread.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2013, 08:55 PM by Kreekakon.)
10-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

I say we go into the Anti-Flame War bunkers.

Bring cookies too... and popcorn.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
10-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

I find it mildly amusing that whenever a thread of a controversial topic is created, over half of the opening posts usually revolve around bracing one's self for a shitstorm before any signs of one have even begun showing up in the slightest.

Come on guys! Show a bit of optimism! Smile

Image by BandyGrass
10-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Quote: While religion cannot be proved, it cannot be proved it doesn'texist either, since it is based in the non-scientific.

You're arguing for a belief in a non-falsifiable idea. That is a dangerous thing.

It gives people a rabbit-hole to sink back into when their ideas are demonstrated to be flawed. "You cannot <Disprove> It!"

While I am all for the notion of personal belief, these ideas become significantly more dangerous when the person holding them is in a position of power.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Extraordina...y_evidence

(10-30-2013, 08:47 PM)Dogfood Wrote:
(10-30-2013, 08:42 PM)Ghieri Wrote: Atheists are one of the most hated groups in American

lol
http://www1.umn.edu/news/news-releases/2..._2816.html

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2013, 09:06 PM by Ghieri.)
10-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

It is impossible to prove a negative assertion, as James Randi so eloquently illustrates in this video:

10-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(10-30-2013, 09:03 PM)Ghieri Wrote: You're arguing for a belief in a non-falsifiable idea. That is a dangerous thing.

It gives people a rabbit-hole to sink back into when their ideas are demonstrated to be flawed. "You cannot <Disprove> It!

While I am all for the notion of personal belief, these ideas become significantly more dangerous when the person holding them is in a position of power.

I am being very Utopian here (Nasty habit of mine), but when I said that it could not be disproved I did not mean it in a way like "It cannot be disproved so it must be correct!". I meant it more in a way that it is still open up for consideration of possibly ending up to be true on the basis that it cannot be disproven.But when one belief cannot be disproven it is important to keep in mind that neither can any of the other many beliefs.

Therefore my main point in saying that the belief that one loves cannot be disproven, it means that you should feel no shame in holding onto the belief you believe to be correct, because who knows? In the very end it might just happen to turn out to be correct, and your firmness in believing in it will have paid off. The exact same can be said for the tons of other beliefs out there as well: Don't feel shame in what you believe, and do not shame others for believing something else, because no one will ever know for certain whichever one might be correct in the end. Just believe in what you choose to believe.

Image by BandyGrass
10-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(10-30-2013, 09:00 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: I find it mildly amusing that whenever a thread of a controversial topic is created, over half of the opening posts usually revolve around bracing one's self for a shitstorm before any signs of one have even begun showing up in the slightest.

Come on guys! Show a bit of optimism! Smile

i just find these discussions really tiring. This was all brought up in discussions before in threads such as homosexuality, aliens and something other theory related.

It never accomplishes anything except neg feels when someone calls something you believe stupid or ridicolous. I've been to millions of these discussions and everyone, myself included is always just repeating themselves so as for me personally i cba to bring up everything i've said before to protect what i personally believe but on the other hand i cant idly watch how someone arrogantly mocks what other people decide to believe.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
10-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Quote: I meant it more in a way that it is still open up for consideration of possibly ending up to be true on the basis that it cannot be disproven.
True, but we have so many OTHER hypothesis to test before we even consider the possibility of a god.

I'm actually speaking from a scientific perspective here. It is wise to test the simplest explanations first. There is no "God Hypothesis" in the Scientific community because we have no conceivable way to test it.

So, open to consideration? Maybe when we've run out of better ideas.

Having said that, I agree with this:

Quote: Don't feel shame in what you believe, and do not shame others for believing something else, because no one will ever know for certain whichever one might be correct in the end. Just believe in what you choose to believe.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(10-30-2013, 09:15 PM)Ghieri Wrote: True, but we have so many OTHER hypothesis to test before we even consider the possibility of a god.

I'm actually speaking from a scientific perspective here. It is wise to test the simplest explanations first. There is no "God Hypothesis" in the Scientific community because we have no conceivable way to test it.

So, open to consideration? Maybe when we've run out of better ideas.

Yeah, there's tons of theories to test before we can even get to God. You can test the other more likely hypothesis first, but all that does is put the religion theories (Which cannot be tested) at the end of the line with a tag on them still saying "Might be true. Do not discard"

It also doesn't help that we realistically know nothing about a God even if there was one. For all we know every single major religion in the world may have gotten him wrong, and he's still sitting up in the clouds eating a tub of ice cream massively disappointed that no one has guessed him right yet.

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2013, 09:24 PM by Kreekakon.)
10-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Find