Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
could not load main init file?
prokras Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago could not load main init file?

Hi, I downloaded the Amnesia: a Dark Descent demo from Steam but when I tried to run it on Mac, it gave me a message: could not load the main init file. I ran the demo on Windows 7 on the same machine and it ran just fine so spec isn't the issue but I'd prefer it to run on the Mac instead.

I have mid 2010, 13" MBP and I've tried reinstalling and launching the game directly from the installation folder but still no luck. Probably worth noting that I'd tried to download the game for the first time days before but the download was corrupted (steam said it was done but it wasn't and I couldn't run it, it was a different error from this one) so I deleted it. and this time, it finished downloading but I got this error. I've checked the said file and it wasn't broken and I've deleted the file then put it back, still got the error message.

please help!
11-01-2013, 06:48 AM
Find
Neelke Offline

Threads: 82
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: could not load main init file?

There's usually something missing or so. Have you done anything else to the files? Or have you modified it in any way?
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013, 01:34 PM by Neelke.)
11-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Find
prokras Offline

(11-01-2013, 01:34 PM)Neelke Wrote: There's usually something missing or so. Have you done anything else to the files? Or have you modified it in any way?

I read people suggested to check the file size (main init file) to see if it was corrupted (0kb) but it wasn't. other people suggested to delete the main init file, did that and still got the same error, I put the file back and that didn't change a thing.
11-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Find
Neelke Offline

Threads: 82

Have you checked inside the main_init file if there is anything written it? Was curious now when it said "0kb".
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013, 05:00 PM by Neelke.)
11-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Find
prokras Offline

the file couldn't be opened. I don't know how. it said 1kb (4kb on disk). I checked the file size if it was 0kb but apparently it wasn't 0kb.

btw, I use OS X 10.9, does it affect the game?

edit: now the demo simply won't launch maybe because I already bought the game via Windows 7, the demo is now replaced with the full version in the steam library but I still want this issue to be resolved since it would be such a hassle to switch to windows back and forth.

edit2: how to delete the demo manually and properly? it still resides in my hard disk.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2013, 09:55 AM by prokras.)
11-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

The error on the Mac is due to the graphics card not being supported. It works on Windows because the drivers for the graphics card are better than on Mac.
11-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Website Find