Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Textures appear grainy from a distance during movement
GoreGrinder99 Offline

Threads: 47
Textures appear grainy from a distance during movement

I have made a handful of materials and I'm using them as wall, floor and ceiling plains. I have a simple diffuse and normal map for the materials and I'm more than happy with just those two files, as it stands.

Problem is, when I'm looking at a primitive from a distance while moving the mouse, the materials seem to grain but when up close and personal with them they appear just fine. I have tried de-noising them them with CrazyBump since I thought that was the issue but it seems it wasn't or it just didn't work properly or whatever the case may be.

If anyone needs a visual example, I will upload a clip if necessary. I hope I was descriptive enough. I "could" live with the results I currently have but would be much more content if this could be fixed since it's rather bothersome.

-Grind to the Gore-
11-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Textures appear grainy from a distance during movement

I think this happens to everyone. Including me too of course.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
11-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

(11-03-2013, 01:40 PM)GoreGrinder99 Wrote: I have made a handful of materials and I'm using them as wall, floor and ceiling plains. I have a simple diffuse and normal map for the materials and I'm more than happy with just those two files, as it stands.

Problem is, when I'm looking at a primitive from a distance while moving the mouse, the materials seem to grain but when up close and personal with them they appear just fine. I have tried de-noising them them with CrazyBump since I thought that was the issue but it seems it wasn't or it just didn't work properly or whatever the case may be.

If anyone needs a visual example, I will upload a clip if necessary. I hope I was descriptive enough. I "could" live with the results I currently have but would be much more content if this could be fixed since it's rather bothersome.

If you say it gets "Grainy" from a distance, MipMaps should be the problem. Try exporting the .dds again without mipmaps Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
11-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

(11-03-2013, 01:59 PM)The chaser Wrote:
(11-03-2013, 01:40 PM)GoreGrinder99 Wrote: I have made a handful of materials and I'm using them as wall, floor and ceiling plains. I have a simple diffuse and normal map for the materials and I'm more than happy with just those two files, as it stands.

If you say it gets "Grainy" from a distance, MipMaps should be the problem. Try exporting the .dds again without mipmaps Smile

Not one of my .dds files has MipMaps enabled and I tried enabling it and had no effect.

-Grind to the Gore-
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2013, 02:43 PM by GoreGrinder99.)
11-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

In that case, could you please put a screenshot or a video of the problem? It will help us see the issue.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2013, 03:35 PM by The chaser.)
11-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

As you move further away from your models the screensize of them become smaller, ergo there is fewer pixels available to describe their look. Mipmaps might actually help, as 'the grainy' look is probably from a messy/detailed texture (which looks okay up close) but grainy from a distance. Keeping it at full resolution instead of 'blurring' with mip maps might hurt the look.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

11-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

(11-03-2013, 03:56 PM)Acies Wrote: As you move further away from your models the screensize of them become smaller, ergo there is fewer pixels available to describe their look. Mipmaps might actually help, as 'the grainy' look is probably from a messy/detailed texture (which looks okay up close) but grainy from a distance. Keeping it at full resolution instead of 'blurring' with mip maps might hurt the look.

Ah, I see. Now that I have read about MipMapping it does indeed seem beneficial. This means I have to go through 180 material files...Ugh... Also, what does "Depth Test" and "Value" as well as "Blend Mode" do?

-Grind to the Gore-
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2013, 04:20 PM by GoreGrinder99.)
11-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Depth test hides textures when they are not visible (at least for billboards Tongue). Like, having a light behind a wall will hide the billboard, but a 'no depth test' billboard will not clip into the wall.

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/too...ial_editor

Value - I'm not sure Big Grin Might have something to do with the 'depth test', but haven't tested.

Blend mode can be useful when working with translucent materials. Try changing around the blend mode then and you will see some differences.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

11-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

(11-03-2013, 04:22 PM)Acies Wrote: Depth test hides textures when they are not visible (at least for billboards Tongue). Like, having a light behind a wall will hide the billboard, but a 'no depth test' billboard will not clip into the wall.

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/too...ial_editor

Value - I'm not sure Big Grin Might have something to do with the 'depth test', but haven't tested.

Blend mode can be useful when working with translucent materials. Try changing around the blend mode then and you will see some differences.

Thanks, boss, much appreciated!! I'll re-evaluate the differences between MipMapping enabled and disabled but from what I have read it should be more useful more or less and aid fixing this grain effect. Also thank you JustAnotherPlayer and The chaser for the extra input!!

-Grind to the Gore-
11-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Find