Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

NTSC encoding in PAL area
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5
NTSC encoding in PAL area

Hey there,
is somebody here who is familiar with television encoding systems and regional codes?

I want to buy a bluray from america, which uses the NTSC encoding. The problem is, that here in germany we use the PAL encoding. Furthermore I heard, that the bluray players are working with different regional codes (america 1, germany 2).

So my question;
is there a way to watch a bluray from america on a german tv ? My bluray player is a PS3 (slim, 320GB) and my TV is a Panasonic Viera TX-P42UT30E 3D TV.

EDIT:
This is the desciption of the bluray on amazon:

Format: Animated, Blu-ray, NTSC
Language: English
Region: All Regions

So I think the region code will be no problem.

EDIT2:
The second season has unfortunately the region code 1, so I still need a way to avoid these restriction (if possible).
Region: Region A/1
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2013, 12:41 PM by Draug.)
11-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: NTSC encoding in PAL area

If your PC/Laptop has a Blu-Ray player, it will accept Blu-Ray from any region as far as I know, you may need a specific player however if there are issues with that if there is a region-lock there. This way, you can watch it on your screen rather than your television, or use a HDMI/VGA cabling to watch on a Television.

I'm pretty sure Sony does use locks on their systems for Blu-Ray Movies similarly to their games, so you may have issues there.

Otherwise, a workaround is torrenting the season after purchasing it, which is perfectly legal if you have purchased what you are downloading, at least that is how it is in Australia.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2013, 01:27 PM by Romulator.)
11-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

(11-05-2013, 01:27 PM)Romulator Wrote: If your PC/Laptop has a Blu-Ray player, it will accept Blu-Ray from any region as far as I know, you may need a specific player however if there are issues with that if there is a region-lock there. This way, you can watch it on your screen rather than your television, or use a HDMI/VGA cabling to watch on a Television.

I'm pretty sure Sony does use locks on their systems for Blu-Ray Movies similarly to their games, so you may have issues there.

Otherwise, a workaround is torrenting the season after purchasing it, which is perfectly legal if you have purchased what you are downloading, at least that is how it is in Australia.

Hey thank you for the advice. Smile Unfortunately my pc has no bluray player, so the PS3 (or a panasonic blu ray player from my parents) would be the only way. A few minutes ago I discovered, that australia and germany have the same regional code for blu-rays, so I just ordered it from australia.
I would really like to know, if torrenting the things you own original, is legal. Would be interesting to know.
11-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

If you own or have owned something which you have purchased in an agreeable transaction, it is legal to download off the internet as it does not classify as stealing due to the fact you own it.

Let's say, for example I have Final Fantasy VIII, which is a PS1 game. I got it years ago when it was on the PS1. My disc became so badly scratched it became unplayable, so I torrented the game and finished it off (took me 7 years xD). It is legal to download something which you own or have purchased.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
11-06-2013, 05:03 AM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

(11-06-2013, 05:03 AM)Romulator Wrote: If you own or have owned something which you have purchased in an agreeable transaction, it is legal to download off the internet as it does not classify as stealing due to the fact you own it.

Let's say, for example I have Final Fantasy VIII, which is a PS1 game. I got it years ago when it was on the PS1. My disc became so badly scratched it became unplayable, so I torrented the game and finished it off (took me 7 years xD). It is legal to download something which you own or have purchased.

I tried to google if this is legal, but everyone says something different. One says, that the download of copyrighted material is not legal, the other says it's a gray area and the other says you are allowed to create a backup copy. If I had a bluray player in my pc, I wouldn't have that problem, because I could simply rip that bluray (mh.. is this legal, because you avoid the copy protection?) Maaan... buying original stuff is complicated Big Grin
11-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

Pretty sure I've even read in a game-manual that you were allowed to back-up it as long as those copies weren't shared.
11-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(11-06-2013, 10:47 AM)droog Wrote: (mh.. is this legal, because you avoid the copy protection?)

As long as you don't share it with anyone, I wouldn't think about it too much.
For most cases, it is indeed illegal to "avoid copy protection", but you legally bought it from Amazon(?) (a trustworthy reseller) and you're not sharing your own copy with anyone

Personally, if I rip something for my own use (music / movies that I own) and later sell the original copies, I delete the ripped files. No harm caused to anyone.

This is just my opinion as an individual.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2013, 07:08 PM by Yuhaney.)
11-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Website Find