Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Does my problem happen to you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
76.47%
13 76.47%
No
23.53%
4 23.53%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

A problem of creativity and laziness
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
A problem of creativity and laziness

In my creative "career" that I have done since I began to make mods for Amnesia, I usually stumble upon a problem:

I begin to do something. I get fascinated, and I begin to do stuff. I do it so much that I get my technique perfectionated, and, as I do it well/cool, I get enough with that and I lose the creativity "flame".

It happens with Amnesia and when I began to play the electric guitar: When I began to play the electric guitar, at first it was awesome, and my interest began to go down as I became better, with the "I'm already good" filosofy.

Does this happen to anyone else?

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
11-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
RE: A problem of creativity and laziness

It happens to me with modding and piano.

Let's be best friends.

[Image: p229xcq]
11-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

Same thing for me.
Let's get married, guys. Just you and I. <3
11-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

duck-frog-doge?

[Image: p229xcq]
11-29-2013, 05:43 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

I usually have an idea and then blow it up to ridiculous proportions so it's impossible for me to do, but I refuse to cut any of it because it's all important...

Fuck me.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
11-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Happens to me too.
With piano, my parents were saying that even though I was tired of it in a period I should keep going. So I did. It was 6 years, that I am now happy about Smile
It's nice to be able to sit yourself at the piano and just play.
So keep going ok? Even though you find it tough to continue. Try to push away the feeling. Or take a break, and return an hour or a day later Smile
Every time i get home from school I find it hard not to go onto the computer.
If you get there, open the editor straight away. Then it will always be there.

I guess, you can have my body, if you want...

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2013, 07:02 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
11-29-2013, 07:02 PM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

All the time. There seems to be an ebb and flow for creativity for me. It doesn't disappear altogether, but it does slow to a crawl sometimes.

11-30-2013, 04:02 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Thanks for the answers, really useful. I was finding myself like if I were the only one with this...

@Flawless Hair

Ok I'll do that Smile

@Chrono

Let's get aboard in this utopy!

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013, 12:41 AM by The chaser.)
12-01-2013, 12:40 AM
Find
DavidS Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 4

There is a lot of philosophical blabla that can be said, but most of it is just willpower to work even though the bastard stopped being cool. Eventually you will reach a point where you "need" to work. Creativity and workpower can be trained. In general, this has a lot to do with athleticism/ professional sport: You gotta push hard to push hard. There is a lot of stuff that will help you, but this is the most basic thing and no matter what "help" you will find, it only works if it is applied on the right mindset.

I find this video good, I listen to it on the last sets of my workouts but it can be applied to anything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSHmJPLcxS8

/////////////////////////////////////
12-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Kinda. For example, if i'm in college then I can do my work easily because i'm in an environment where I got nothing else to do but work. If i'm at home and I have homework, no chance.

You mentioned guitar, whereas I haven't lost interest but I understand what you mean by "i'm already good". When you begin you know you suck and you seem to notice improvements a lot more as you become an intermediate player. As an intermediate player its so so easy to get stuck in a place where you're aware that you don't completely suck and use that as an excuse to not play as much.

I began writing a song one night and I was really getting into the theme of what I was writing about, feeling the moment y'know... Got too tired to finish it and by the next day it was out of my system to really want to add more.

Pressure is the best thing for me to work. Without that i'd never get anything done.

[Image: luv.gif]
12-01-2013, 02:15 AM
Find