Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Economics (rant thread)
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
Economics (rant thread)

Can someone justify to me why this subject is useful?

I recently finished my economics exam and I'm glad that I never have to take it again. It was an elective I took because I heard about how useful it was, but on the whole I found the subject mind-numbingly boring and very inapplicable. The course was on microeconomics and included topics opportunity cost, demand and supply, elasticity, household utility, and theory of firms.

Why does economics exist?

[Image: p229xcq]
12-06-2013, 03:53 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Economics (rant thread)

It's not an interesting topic for me, either, but it can be useful.
Economics helps us understand wealth distribution, production and consumption.
On the micro level, it can help you balance a budget in terms of what you want vs. what you need in order to achieve a level of financial security. This includes learning about investments and the business cycle. It can also be a method of predicting human behavior based on its cultural values and how it effects business institutions.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013, 05:59 AM by VaeVictis.)
12-06-2013, 04:09 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I'm not a huge fan of micro but macroeconomics are fascinating to me. I don't really see how you can think microeconomics is inapplicable but even if you do there is absolutely no way you will say the same about macro. It's highly relevant and learning the nuances of trade, capital flow, currency and everything Abraxas mentioned is something everybody should do.
12-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Find
TwiK999 Offline

Threads: 5

Well, I study Business Studies, which is related to Economics in a way. I guess they both exist to be able to analyse the structure and behaviour of a market. If a business is able to do this, they can use the information to their advantage.

Steam ID: Yazite

Xbox Gamertag: Yazite
12-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

so you know how to handle bussiness! and the way it works

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
12-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Find