Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Work in progress The Chernobyl Disaster, Postponed.
Rector Offline

Threads: 5
Smile  The Chernobyl Disaster, Postponed.

Why hello there!

Unfortunately, I have postponed the developement of this project. The reason is due to lack of time and motivation to keep it going since I'm currently working together with my friend to create a whole new game. The project was for educational purposes for me to improve level editing and scripting.
I will not cancell the project, just postpone the developement.

Let me give you a brief introduction of my project:

The Chernobyl Disaster is an Amnesia: The Dark Descent mod (not really a total conversion) that's taking place at Chernobyl's nuclear power plant. The idea came to my head when I was playing through Amnesia: White Night (great CS/TC), and I quickly began working on some maps, just for fun. I chosed Chernobyl, randomly, so I had something to start from, and the more I created, the more I felt that I wanted to do a complete custom story. So I began working on a storyline, but since the events are real, and not made up, I'm going to give a little piece of tale for you.

The night of april the 26th is astonishing. The weather is remarkable, warm and becalmed.

Alexander Yvchenko, a senior maintenance engineer at the power plant, is on duty for the night shift. He arrives at midnight, but unlike other shifts, he's up for a surprise. He is informed that the test on Reactor 4, that should have been carried out during the day, has been postponed untill midnight. Without hesitation, Alexander's trying to quickly find out what he's supposed to do, and by command from the night shift supervisor, he's told to watch over the electrical flow during the simulated power failure, which is due to take place in an hour.

As time moves on, Alexander prepares himself for the test by taking notes from instruments that controls electricity. One thing he notices is that the electrical flow commutes unusually fast in the generator, which is very strange and often indicates some sort of failure with either the turbines, the generator itself or the reactor. He grabs his notes and head to the shift supervisor, but is quickly told that there is no danger.

As the time comes, Alexander moves down to the instruments he previously took notes from. The test requires the turbines to be shut down, and Alexander, who's not very far away from the massive turbine hall, can clearly hear them slow down to a halt. The connected generator is also halted, and the electricity production closes in to zero, and by the readings, nothing unusual is going on with the electrical flow.

A few minutes into the test, pipelines on the ceiling, that leads steam from the reactor to the turbines, begins to shake violently. Soon, other objects starts to shake, and eventually an alarm goes off, alearting the personell to proceed to the safety areas. Without hesitation, Alexander heads to the safety areas, meeting other personell along the way, and they're all in panic. Something serious is going on.

Well inside a safe room, a loud grumble tears through the walls, followed by a strange vibration. A few seconds later, a massive explosion sends a shockwave throughout the power plant, tearing down machinery and areas. The safe room, in which Alexander is currently located in, is also ruptured, sending objects flying wild, and eventually knocks him unconscious. Luckily, he survives, with severe injuries, and the last words from the supervisor is repeating through his head:

"Don't worry. Our reactors are flawless. Nothing ever goes wrong. Nothing CAN go wrong".

(I apoligize for any grammar and/or spelling mistake, I was tired when I wrote this, don't rage please)

The player will be playing through the eyes of Alexander, fighting to get out of the ruptured sector of the power plant. Doing so, the player will face spontanious choises, envioremental interaction that can slightly affect gameplay, and not only will crazed workers aggressively fight off anything in their way, but the invisible killer of radiation is also lurking around the plant.

Some pictures from current work in progress:

[Image: UPIrvZO.jpg]

[Image: UXz8mDq.jpg]

[Image: mw1SIVP.jpg]

Current status of developement:
Updated: 15/4-2014

Mapping - 33%
Scripting - 13%
Story - 80%
Voice acting - 0%
Events (planned) - 90%
Music and sounds - 20%

Cheers!
Rector
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2014, 11:37 AM by Rector.)
12-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Find
daortir Offline

Threads: 9
RE: TC: Chernobyl disaster

This could be great !
Looking forward to see your screenshots.

12-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Sounds interesting Big Grin
Spoiler below!

But also, like you said, putting images into the actual post, you have to upload them somewhere and paste the image URL inbetween two [IMG][/IMG] braces, like:

[IMG]http://www.tinypic.com[/IMG]

You can also click on the image in the text editor (the area you use to type and reply on here) and you can just paste the URL in the box that comes up! Big Grin

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
12-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Find
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48

Screenshots are looking great! Tracking this!

12-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Great! With the radioactivity, you already have a good reason for monsters Wink Not everyone has that, so this is great!

Trying is the first step to success.
12-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Find
Rector Offline

Thanks for the sweet replies!

I should also point out that while the gameplay is taking place in the Chernobyl power plant, the inside enviorement is not likely to fully represent how it actually looks, through I'm doing quite a bit of research on it. But for the sake of time, I will just take the most important parts and improvise on the rest.

Your replies does give me lots of motivation, that's for sure! Smile
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2013, 10:04 PM by Rector.)
12-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Find
LoneWolfGen Offline

Threads: 2

That'd be cool to see a TC on Chernobyl, can't wait to see how it turns out.

I hope you implement something about the Elephant's Foot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccLQzXthAiI

Edit: They don't mention this in the video, but one would only be able to walk close to it, marvel for a couple seconds, then drop dead from the pure radiation. That's why there was so much purple on the edges of the video showing the Elephant's Foot.

LoneWolfGen (Josh Demon)

"Now leave me alone, I am off to destroy your brother!" - Christopher Titus
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2013, 03:20 AM by LoneWolfGen.)
12-07-2013, 03:16 AM
Find
Rector Offline

Exellent suggestion LoneWolfGen, I will sure implement that.
12-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Find
Rector Offline

I'm sorry for not posting updates, just want you to know that I'm still working hard and got about one whole new level ready. 

As I'm not entirely sure how many maps that will be made, it's hard to give out any precentages, but I would estimate about 20% complete at this stage (mapping). Scripting has not really had a lot of focus put on it for now. Once I've recieved all the textures I need, the mapping process will be a lot smoother and faster. 

New screenshots next week btw!
01-16-2014, 11:27 PM
Find
DreamScripters Offline

Threads: 4

This looks very interesting, i'm very excited to see how this turns out! Looks like it will be something great. Best of luck to you on completing it! Big Grin

[Image: header.png]
01-18-2014, 07:31 PM
Website Find