Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Does Penumbra support Nvidia PhysX?
Scott9000 Offline

Threads: 1
Does Penumbra support Nvidia PhysX?

I've had the game for almost a year but due to problems running it on my old Dell this is actually my first play through.

Now I have a high end system with SLI and turned up all the eye candy running it at 1600x1200 res and it looks great, but what surprised me was PhysX that was just added into the geforce drivers in August seems to give Penumbra a big boost in performance.

I tested it with the SLI visual indicator and for those who don't know the idea is to get the green bar to reach the top and bottom of the monitor to show the gpu's are carrying most of the workload instead of the cpu, and as long as that stays constant you're fps will usually be smooth. So with PhysX disabled whenever I would pick something up or move things the indicator would almost go to the middle showing the cpu is working harder, but with it enabled the indicator stayed at a constant top and bottom and this is on Vista.

I've only played through a short part of the game so I still have to see if there will be any stability problems but so far its pretty cool.
10-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Does Penumbra support Nvidia PhysX?

I don't think that the physx drivers boost up performance, since Penumbra doesn't use Physx, it uses Newton. Wink

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
10-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Find