Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No end to installation / startup troubles.
Diango Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago No end to installation / startup troubles.

So I wanted to buy this game. I really did. But then Steam showed me there was a Demo and I thought: "Let's try that first". I'm glad I did.

I download and install the game (through Steam, of course) and press "play".

A message pops up:

"Game failed to start (unknown error)".

No stranger to troubleshooting I head for google and find that the most encountered error with my config is the drivers of the Intel onboard graphics, so I go ahead and bring those to the latest version.

After rebooting, I try again.

"Game failed to start (missing executable)".

So I run the rest of the troubleshooting guide:

- run game / and or steam as administrator (no change)
- run game in compatiblity mode (no change)
- flush steam config via the browser command (no change)
- delete the appcache folder as instructed (no change)
- verify game file integrity (1 file seems to be missing, but then the game is stuck on 'update required') with no way of fixing that)

After a second reboot, all of the above, restarting Steam in normal mode (not administrator) and (trying to) re-download the game I get a new error:

"Cannot install game, insufficient disk space". (I have 63/213 gigs left).

So I re-do the whole shebang, and lo and behold, the game downloads, installs, verifies correctly and does not get stuck on 'update required'.

So full of confidence I press "play"...

the computer thinks for a while, and then STEAM DELETES THE GAME FROM MY LIBRARY WITH NO WARNING OR CONFIRMATION BEFOREHAND.

Checking windows explorer learns me that the game is still on the hard drive, but starting the executable directly gives me some crap about an SDL file missing and the game failes to start again.

Soo.... I hoped to solve this on my own before the Steam sale ends (game is on offer, 80% discount) but it seems I won't be buying this game at all.

Systems specs:

Asus Zenbook UX31a (Intel HD 4000 graphics)
Core i7 CPU
4GB Ram
256GB SSD
Windows 8.1 64bit

As far as I can see I did and checked everything I could, but feel free to point out other matters of resource or things that I missed.
12-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: No end to installation / startup troubles.

As far as I can see this is entirely a steam problem. Try the non-steam demo:

http://amnesiagame.com/#demo
12-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Find
Diango Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago RE: No end to installation / startup troubles.

This seems to work (no idea there was a direct demo, the game launches now) but this time around my mouse is giving me issues. I use a standard G5 Laser mouse but upon starting the game the mouse cursor behaves very strange. It's constantly popping all over the place and in no way controllable.

I tried the SDL.dll fix I found via Google but that does not seem to have any effect.
(This post was last modified: 12-25-2013, 03:32 PM by Diango.)
12-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

All these issues are computer specific because I haven't seen those exact ones the years that I have been providing support. Maybe another background program is interfering, maybe this mouse has an application that causes problems etc... Check the known problematic programs as mentioned at the troubleshooting guide and try disabling/closing all background programs that could cause issues.
12-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Find
Diango Offline

My system is very clean as it is and I use almost no excess software (such as vendor-crap or non-essential resident stuff). I have no intent of completely scrubbing my system to try out a demo that will not just work more or less out of the box like most games out there to today, I'm sorry.

I was hoping it was just a known bug (I have no issues whatsoever with other games on my system) so if it cannot be easily solved I will try some other games.

Thanks for your time!
12-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Find