Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: In general your favourite/prefered plot is from:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Penumbra
66.67%
18 66.67%
Amnesia
33.33%
9 33.33%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Penumbra's Plot
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60
RE: Penumbra's Plot

I like the plot of both games. I think that a lot of the plot in both games are 'left to imagination' and for you as the player to extrapolate. It may sound diffuse, but I believe that whichever concept (penumbra/amnesia) grasped you the most should have had your imagination running more wild - ergo accelerating and filling out (holes/empty surfaces) in the plot.

I think that as a game Amnesia looks a lot better whereas Penumbra had a lot more features (gasmask, computer interaction - you could even play a game within the game!). Penumbra felt unfinished in some regards - object interaction could be awkward/weird at times whereas that is smoothed out in Amnesia. So going from Penumbra to Amnesia FG choose to remove (what they deemed as) unnecessary features and fixup some old ones. Penumbra is like the beta version of Amnesia; it has more features, but as you step towards the real release (= amnesia) nothing is added (no new features), you merely remove or finish up on existing concepts.

I can't really pick a plot which I liked more.. Both are good in their own regards, whereas I feel as if Amnesia has a better ending than Penumbra's. Both feel a little rushed, but Amnesia's leave me more content.

Either way both are games which have impacted me a lot. Awesome games :]

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2013, 03:58 PM by Acies.)
12-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

I found ATDD story much more attractive and interesting to me. This is completely subjective though, so it doesnt mean Penumbra was bad Smile

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
12-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(12-27-2013, 03:49 PM)Naked? No Wrote: Contrary to what Googol says, I don't think Amnesia is a story that we should learn from, even less so the story for AMFP, but the story for Penumbra.

The story of Penumbra is just fantasy and fiction, while the story of AMFP has a true background.
12-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

(12-27-2013, 06:14 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(12-27-2013, 03:49 PM)Naked? No Wrote: Contrary to what Googol says, I don't think Amnesia is a story that we should learn from, even less so the story for AMFP, but the story for Penumbra.

The story of Penumbra is just fantasy and fiction, while the story of AMFP has a true background.

Please elaborate.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
12-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(12-27-2013, 06:14 PM)Googolplex Wrote:

What do you mean? That the AMFP scenario is closer to reality than Penumbra? I would say they are pretty even on that regard.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
12-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

He means that some (Agrippa for example) of the characters are based more or less on real life people.
But then again, Tuurngait is also based on a real life...

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2013, 10:07 PM by Yuhaney.)
12-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(12-27-2013, 10:05 PM)Scraper Wrote: He means that some (Agrippa for example) of the characters are based more or less on real life people.
But then again, Tuurngait is also based on a real life...

No, no... That's not what I mean.
Of course, Penumbra has also an intellectual story where the Tuurngait will test our collective mind. But the story will not reflect real world problems as much as AMFP does.

AMFP is a story we should esteem, the game is not or less designed to be "fun". It's like a serious game that wants to encourage us to think what's wrong in our world. Like a "mirror" it shows us the destruction of capitalism, atomic and war.

The story in AMFP was deliberately cryptic so that at the end we think about. The Pigs refers to capitalism. As a symbol of livestock, in this sense, all child laborers are supposed to be and all types of people who work in our world for a pittance to allow certain people their wealth. Oswald is one of those rich capitalists who slaughters animals (people) as a commodity with which to play his children as dolls.

'He, who makes himself a beast, gets rid of the pain, to be human'.And he will feel the pain he has done to others. The temple in Mexico was a fiction, where people were sacrificed to their gods. And he came back, he knew what cruelty he has built with his machine and became a different person. the stone, or the egg, is an allusion to the atom, in our world, an age of destruction, power and profit.

The machine is our own soul, represented as an inner movement, the mechanical processes are predetermined. The machine is therefore our own body in which we are caught and try to bring our souls to terms, by manipulating them as a saboteur. In his garden, the skulls of his children are. This means that for money people go over bodies.

We have produced Pigs and these are our own children, which are a symbol of the shame which we have rendered to mankind. This should encourage us to think. Such games should our politicians and billionaires have all played! For this reason alone, because Amnesia is educationally valuable and instructive, it is preferable to all other games. Where most it just see as a horror game and did not look behind.

The story holds up a mirror to all of us, because it shows the destruction of our world. The game is like god.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2013, 01:21 PM by Googolplex.)
12-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Am I the only one who thinks Penumbra is Boring as fuck? It's level after level of sterile move the stuff around and "Oh look, it's dog #586605 time to jump on a barrel and hit it with a pickaxe." and a vague-ass story. "Log #40505, we mined some shit. Log # 233330 Explosives are bad."

I thought that Amnesia was definitely a much more atmospheric and terrifying environment. Even with it's "haunted house" layout it still kept things more fresh than Overture, which is a game I still haven't finished.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
12-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(12-28-2013, 01:49 PM)Ghieri Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks Penumbra is Boring as fuck? It's level after level of sterile move the stuff around and "Oh look, it's dog #586605 time to jump on a barrel and hit it with a pickaxe." and a vague-ass story. "Log #40505, we mined some shit. Log # 233330 Explosives are bad."

I thought that Amnesia was definitely a much more atmospheric and terrifying environment. Even with it's "haunted house" layout it still kept things more fresh than Overture, which is a game I still haven't finished.

Yes, you are the only one.
12-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(12-28-2013, 01:52 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(12-28-2013, 01:49 PM)Ghieri Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks Penumbra is Boring as fuck? It's level after level of sterile move the stuff around and "Oh look, it's dog #586605 time to jump on a barrel and hit it with a pickaxe." and a vague-ass story. "Log #40505, we mined some shit. Log # 233330 Explosives are bad."

Yes, you are the only one.

You were quick with that one, come up with that yourself? : P

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
12-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Find