Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unusually Poor Performance
Mos1ey Offline

Threads: 3
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Unusually Poor Performance

Hello there,

I bought Amnesia quite some time ago on Steam, played a little but never got around to finishing it, and it used to run great on my old system. 60+ FPS with everything maxed.

A few days ago I felt like venturing back into Brennenburg Castle so I reinstalled only to find that I'm getting borderline unplayable (20-40) FPS on the same settings and I have no idea why.

I've tried reinstalling the game a couple of times and verifying my game cache in Steam but nothing seems to have any effect.

Old specs:
i7 870 @ 2.93Ghz
8Gb RAM @ 1333Mhz
HD 6970 OC 2Gb

New specs:
i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz
8Gb RAM @ 1600Mhz
GTX 780 3Gb

I just can't understand why it's performing so much worse on what is clearly a better system! Huh

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mos1ey
01-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Unusually Poor Performance

Are you loading older saves? Try starting a new game with a new profile. If that fails, attach HPL.log after the problem occurs as mentioned at the troubleshooting guide, Problem X.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 02:32 PM by plutomaniac.)
01-08-2014, 02:31 PM
Find
Mos1ey Offline

Threads: 3

I reinstalled again (this time also deleting the Amnesia folder in Documents), manually added the game to NVIDIA Control Panel and applied my global settings and now I seem to be getting 150+ FPS when I load my old save in the cistern area.

However if I start a new game I still get 25 FPS during the intro, which picks up to around 40 FPS once the game actually begins. I'm sure this never used to be the case though... There must be some kind of problem, no? Surely the opening area can't be that intensive...

I'll run a new game and edit this post to contain my log, see if you can spot anything...

Thanks for the reply.

EDIT: I created a new profile and started a new game and now I have 150+ FPS the entire time. So thank you for mysteriously fixing my issue, I guess!

I'm pumped for SOMA by the way. Huge fan of Amnesia's gameplay, but I have to say I'm more of a fan of the sci-fi setting. Not sure if I can wait til 2015... D:
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 09:42 PM by Mos1ey.)
01-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Reset any settings you have set on the Nvidia Control Panel. Make sure the game profile there is set to default settings, don't alter them cause almost always that leads to issues or performance problems.
01-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Find