Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change Enemy Sounds? - Solved
MsHannerBananer Offline

Threads: 34
Change Enemy Sounds? - Solved

I know it's possible to change the enemy sounds, however is it possible to change them for a custom story? Would the enemy entity look for the original sound folder where the original sounds are found, or is there a way to get it to look at a different folder for different sounds?

The idea is to have three different grunts with three different voices, their own sayings and sounds for a custom story, kind of like how Justine had supposedly 3 different suitors, with their own things to say.

Thanks! Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2014, 08:19 PM by MsHannerBananer.)
01-25-2014, 02:04 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Change Enemy Sounds?

Of course this is possible! (See here Tongue (NSFW) )

I'm going to write up some instructions, just gotta take a moment to do them.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2014, 02:08 AM by Romulator.)
01-25-2014, 02:07 AM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

I think you'll have to make a copy of the grunt, then change the paths to the right sounds. I'll let romulator explain it more..
01-25-2014, 02:10 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Okay, enclosed in spoilers :3
I'm sorry if this is a bit long/tedious, but it is how it is done unfortunately. I'm willing to explain any of it in more depth if I need to. Smile

Setting up
Spoiler below!

Okay, to set up, obviously you need the dev tools, but you will definitely need the Model Editor. You will also need Audacity and a text editor (notepad is okay). I also assume that you have not touched Amnesia's folders and are making a Custom Story and not a Full Conversion, but have set up the custom_stories folder and added that directory to your resources.cfg file, and are using a Windows Operating System.

Okay, first off, we'll need to make some copies of your grunt. Navigate your way to Amnesia's redist folder, then go to entities, enemy, servant_grunt. Copy that servant_grunt folder a few times, enough for how many enemy types you want. Name the folder something which you can recognise for your story, and then afterward go into each folder and name the servant_grunt.ent file the same as the folder (Not required, but may be useful for the Level Editor).

Once that is done, open up Audacity, which is a (free) sound editing application. If you don't have your sounds recorded yet, simply choose the mic icon up the top, and select your mic and record some awesome sounds :3 If you do however, open them up in Audacity, then export them as an .ogg file, which is used by Amnesia for sound effects. (I can explain all this in more depth later on).

Getting the sounds to work in Amnesia
Spoiler below!

In Amnesia, sounds are read from .ogg files through another format called .snt. And these files are not sounds, rather just text files which tell the game what to play. If you navigate to the /sounds/enemy/grunt/ folder, you will find .snt's and .ogg files, such as these:
- amb_alert.snt
- amb_alert01.snt
- amb_alert02.snt
- amb_alert03.snt
Based on what I said prior, you can assume that amb_alert.snt will play the alert sound files. And yes that is correct. Open up that .snt file with your favorite text editor, and you'll see something like this:
<SOUNDENTITY>
  <SOUNDS>
      <Main>
          <Sound File="grunt/amb_alert01" />
          <Sound File="grunt/amb_alert02" />
          <Sound File="grunt/amb_alert03" />
      </Main>
  </SOUNDS>
</SOUNDENTITY>
ALTHOUGH there are other things, they are not necessarily important unless you wish for them to be edited. As you can see, this will play these sound files.

This is where your Audacity files kick in. For now, make a copy of the "grunt" folder from earlier, and name it something you can remember. Then after that, from your new folder, feel free to delete whatever you don't want in there for capacity reasons. You don't have to worry about missing files, because the copied grunt will assume the role of a normal grunt's voices if there is no sounds here.
alert = when the grunt is chasing you
hunt = when the grunt is looking for you (like, you made a noise)
idle = when the grunt is walking or standing still, unaware of you
claw = when the grunt attacks you with its claw from up to down
launch = when the grunt attacks you like an uppercut
enabled = when the grunt is enabled via script
hit = when the grunt hits something like a box
leather = footsteps sound
notice = when the grunt spots the character
Once that is done, copy over your Audacity files in .ogg format to the new folder created. If you deleted it, go back to the original grunt folder and copy the amb_alert.snt file. Afterward, open it with the text editor and change the first few lines to suit your Audacity files:
<SOUNDENTITY>
  <SOUNDS>
      <Main>
          <Sound File="<new_folder>/friends_voice01" />
          <Sound File="<new_folder>/friends_voice02" />
          <Sound File="<new_folder>/friends_voice03" />
        </Main>
  </SOUNDS>
</SOUNDENTITY>
You can add more Sound Files if you want, just keep them in the same format and between the <Main> and </Main> parts.

Using the Model Editor
Spoiler below!

Now that you have done that (if not, it's okay, I'll continue), open up the Model Editor, located in your redist folder. From here, open up any one of your copied grunts. Either one is okay, but this one will have the voices that you preset in the above example.

Up the top, click on Settings and then User Defined Variables. A fair way down this list, you will find AmbientSound_Idle, AmbientSound_Alert and AmbientSound_Hunt. Point them to the .snt file you created, and then you have a finished grunt with your new sounds! Save the new model, then just remember when you place them down in the Level Editor to put down the modified grunt(s).

When giving out your CS
Spoiler below!

Assuming one day you want to give out your Custom Story, you will have to put the appropriate things into your CS folder. The easiest way to do this is to follow the way Amnesia has done it. If that is the case, your CS folder should look something like this (partially based on this tutorial).
/custom_stories
- <your_cs>
   - entities
      - enemy
        - servant_friend01
           - servant_friend01.ent
        - servant_friend02
           - servant_friend02.ent
        - servant_friend03
           - servant_friend03.ent
  - sounds
      - enemy
       - friend01
           - friends_voice.snt
           - friends_voice01.ogg
           - friends_voice02.ogg
           - friends_voice03.ogg

01-25-2014, 02:56 AM
Find
MsHannerBananer Offline

Threads: 34
RE: Change Enemy Sounds? - Solved

(01-25-2014, 02:56 AM)Romulator Wrote: Okay, enclosed in spoilers :3
I'm sorry if this is a bit long/tedious, but it is how it is done unfortunately. I'm willing to explain any of it in more depth if I need to. Smile

Setting up
Spoiler below!

Okay, to set up, obviously you need the dev tools, but you will definitely need the Model Editor. You will also need Audacity and a text editor (notepad is okay). I also assume that you have not touched Amnesia's folders and are making a Custom Story and not a Full Conversion, but have set up the custom_stories folder and added that directory to your resources.cfg file, and are using a Windows Operating System.

Okay, first off, we'll need to make some copies of your grunt. Navigate your way to Amnesia's redist folder, then go to entities, enemy, servant_grunt. Copy that servant_grunt folder a few times, enough for how many enemy types you want. Name the folder something which you can recognise for your story, and then afterward go into each folder and name the servant_grunt.ent file the same as the folder (Not required, but may be useful for the Level Editor).

Once that is done, open up Audacity, which is a (free) sound editing application. If you don't have your sounds recorded yet, simply choose the mic icon up the top, and select your mic and record some awesome sounds :3 If you do however, open them up in Audacity, then export them as an .ogg file, which is used by Amnesia for sound effects. (I can explain all this in more depth later on).

Getting the sounds to work in Amnesia
Spoiler below!

In Amnesia, sounds are read from .ogg files through another format called .snt. And these files are not sounds, rather just text files which tell the game what to play. If you navigate to the /sounds/enemy/grunt/ folder, you will find .snt's and .ogg files, such as these:
- amb_alert.snt
- amb_alert01.snt
- amb_alert02.snt
- amb_alert03.snt
Based on what I said prior, you can assume that amb_alert.snt will play the alert sound files. And yes that is correct. Open up that .snt file with your favorite text editor, and you'll see something like this:
<SOUNDENTITY>
  <SOUNDS>
      <Main>
          <Sound File="grunt/amb_alert01" />
          <Sound File="grunt/amb_alert02" />
          <Sound File="grunt/amb_alert03" />
      </Main>
  </SOUNDS>
</SOUNDENTITY>
ALTHOUGH there are other things, they are not necessarily important unless you wish for them to be edited. As you can see, this will play these sound files.

This is where your Audacity files kick in. For now, make a copy of the "grunt" folder from earlier, and name it something you can remember. Then after that, from your new folder, feel free to delete whatever you don't want in there for capacity reasons. You don't have to worry about missing files, because the copied grunt will assume the role of a normal grunt's voices if there is no sounds here.
alert = when the grunt is chasing you
hunt = when the grunt is looking for you (like, you made a noise)
idle = when the grunt is walking or standing still, unaware of you
claw = when the grunt attacks you with its claw from up to down
launch = when the grunt attacks you like an uppercut
enabled = when the grunt is enabled via script
hit = when the grunt hits something like a box
leather = footsteps sound
notice = when the grunt spots the character
Once that is done, copy over your Audacity files in .ogg format to the new folder created. If you deleted it, go back to the original grunt folder and copy the amb_alert.snt file. Afterward, open it with the text editor and change the first few lines to suit your Audacity files:
<SOUNDENTITY>
  <SOUNDS>
      <Main>
          <Sound File="<new_folder>/friends_voice01" />
          <Sound File="<new_folder>/friends_voice02" />
          <Sound File="<new_folder>/friends_voice03" />
        </Main>
  </SOUNDS>
</SOUNDENTITY>
You can add more Sound Files if you want, just keep them in the same format and between the <Main> and </Main> parts.

Using the Model Editor
Spoiler below!

Now that you have done that (if not, it's okay, I'll continue), open up the Model Editor, located in your redist folder. From here, open up any one of your copied grunts. Either one is okay, but this one will have the voices that you preset in the above example.

Up the top, click on Settings and then User Defined Variables. A fair way down this list, you will find AmbientSound_Idle, AmbientSound_Alert and AmbientSound_Hunt. Point them to the .snt file you created, and then you have a finished grunt with your new sounds! Save the new model, then just remember when you place them down in the Level Editor to put down the modified grunt(s).

When giving out your CS
Spoiler below!

Assuming one day you want to give out your Custom Story, you will have to put the appropriate things into your CS folder. The easiest way to do this is to follow the way Amnesia has done it. If that is the case, your CS folder should look something like this (partially based on this tutorial).
/custom_stories
- <your_cs>
   - entities
      - enemy
        - servant_friend01
           - servant_friend01.ent
        - servant_friend02
           - servant_friend02.ent
        - servant_friend03
           - servant_friend03.ent
  - sounds
      - enemy
       - friend01
           - friends_voice.snt
           - friends_voice01.ogg
           - friends_voice02.ogg
           - friends_voice03.ogg

Romulator, you are amazing!! Sorry I didn't say before when you originally posted.

Is the process typically the same for the water lurker? Big Grin

03-02-2014, 08:11 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

RE: Change Enemy Sounds? - Solved

I would assume so Smile I don't think that there is any differences, just so long as you follow a similar process, you should be alright Smile

03-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Find