Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annoying short freezes at each event
JohnnyGui Offline

Threads: 3
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Annoying short freezes at each event

Hey all,

First of all, I have checked the troubleshooting guide but nothing there fixed my problem.

Am I the only one who is having these very short (<1 second) but very annoying freezes whenever something happens during gameplay? These short freezes happens whenever I light my lantern, opening doors, jumping or crouching for the very first time each time after I load and continue my saved game. After the first time, the freezes that are bound to these actions are gone.

However, there is an even more annoying very short freeze that always happens the second before an event takes place such as a monster appearing, doors blowing open, boulders falling down, the shadow appearing etc etc. It's kind of a pity since this actually ruins the surprise/shock of an event. I have seen gameplay videos and quite a lot of people are having this. For some reason, it makes me think it has something to do with the sound of the events that needs time to be played. I read somewhere that changing the buffersize value may help but I don't have any idea how and what to change it to.

I am quite surprised since I have quite a good gaming pc. I have the latest nvidia WHQL drivers and have verified the game cache files in Steam. Lowering the graphics settings also didn't do anything.

Specs: Windows 8.1 Pro, GTX 660Ti, 8 GB RAM, 3570K CPU (stock)

I'd appreciate it a lot if someone could fix this for me.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2014, 03:43 AM by JohnnyGui.)
02-15-2014, 03:43 AM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Annoying short freezes at each event

I had the same problem. Try reinstalling. That worked for me.
02-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Find
JohnnyGui Offline

Thanks, I'll try this.

Having the Steam version, removing the game won't delete the Amnesia folder and its saves in my Documents folder?
02-21-2014, 10:02 PM
Find
JohnnyGui Offline

(02-21-2014, 10:02 PM)JohnnyGui Wrote: Thanks, I'll try this.

Having the Steam version, removing the game won't delete the Amnesia folder and its saves in my Documents folder?

Reinstalled but it didn't fix the problem :\
02-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

After the stuttering occurs attach HPL.log file as mentioned at the Troubleshooting guide, Problem X.
02-22-2014, 01:51 PM
Find
JohnnyGui Offline

Hey! Sorry for the late reply. I'll attach a hpl.log file soon.

In the meantime I have been searching my issue and I found a thread on this forum that described my exact problem; having short stutters each time just before a sound starts to play. See here: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid260275

However, this thread is dedicated to Amnesia A Machine For Pigs and I can see that Jens and you (plutomaniac) have posted fixes and steps to solve the issue. I was wondering if there are similar things I can do such as editing the main_settings.cfg file like mentioned in the above thread to solve this for my game (Amnesia TDD). I'd appreciate it a lot!
03-11-2014, 04:20 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Maybe you could post the HPL log as requested above your post instead as we don't have enough information to correct your issue. If you have VSync on, try turning it off.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Considering both TDD and MFP run on the same engine, you'll most likely be able to use the same fixes for both. The setup between these games is very similar. You can find your main_settings.cfg in Documents\Amnesia. Just dig around there and try what has been mentioned.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014, 10:39 AM by Mudbill.)
03-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Find
JohnnyGui Offline

Here's the HPL.log from my last gameplay in which I encountered 2 short freezes right before events with sounds took place.

Mudbill: The thing is, they also have released a patch in that thread specifically for Amnesia MFP and it isn't really clear to me what they have changed in the patch (something with scripts and sound files). If someone like Jens or plutomaniac could explain to me what to change exactly for Amnesia TDD then I'll be sure of what I'm doing.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 8.86 KB / Downloads: 115)
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014, 03:25 PM by JohnnyGui.)
03-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Find
JohnnyGui Offline

I'm still having this issue. Anyone checked the HPL.log file yet?

Also, if anyone knows what to change in the files to fix these freezes (just like the patch for AMFP) I would be thankful.
03-22-2014, 09:22 PM
Find