Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.Lang File Help .lang file: Placeholders [Solved]
ethics Offline

Threads: 18
.lang file: Placeholders [Solved]

My mother-language is not english and that sucks in terms of the extra_english.lang-file.
In my language, we have other letters than in the original alphabet:
We have "ä", "ö" and "ü".

Now the .lang file doesn't seem to accept it.
So if I want to make a key description like:"This is a key.",
I would type in my language: "Das ist ein Schlüssel."
But the game display it later on like so:
"Das ist ein Schlsel."
It doesnt accept the "ü".
Now I reasearched about this and (thanks to mudbill) found something.

A wikipedia thread for placeholders. But they only mention .XML and .HTML files in it, I'm not sure if this will work for Amnesia files.

The article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML...references

Hoping for lots of help from you guys!

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2014, 10:32 AM by ethics.)
02-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: .lang file: Placeholders

This page might help a bit as well. Look at the "html" codes and use those. The page only has a limited amount of characters however, and I don't think the ones below are using the html codes, because I'm not getting them to work or show properly.

I'm thinking perhaps the font Amnesia is using does not support all the characters, but I think it would be strange if it didn't support accented letters as they are very basic characters.

Edit: I tested out a few things and found that if you add the line below at the very top of your file (before </LANGAUGE>), the file will be encoded so that you can use these characters directly in the file. The é and ä worked fine for me Big Grin

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2014, 10:17 PM by Mudbill.)
02-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Wrong forum, moved!
02-15-2014, 11:40 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

Wrong forum, moved!
LOL...
the 2500 Posts Traggey has, i swear has over 2000 that are : Wrong forum, moved!
It''s like a parasite, that line os everywhere!!! HAhah Wink
---
Anyways, try what Mudbill said, it should work.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2014, 03:52 PM by DnALANGE.)
02-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Find
ethics Offline

(02-15-2014, 10:08 PM)Mudbill Wrote: This page might help a bit as well. Look at the "html" codes and use those. The page only has a limited amount of characters however, and I don't think the ones below are using the html codes, because I'm not getting them to work or show properly.

I'm thinking perhaps the font Amnesia is using does not support all the characters, but I think it would be strange if it didn't support accented letters as they are very basic characters.

Edit: I tested out a few things and found that if you add the line below at the very top of your file (before </LANGAUGE>), the file will be encoded so that you can use these characters directly in the file. The é and ä worked fine for me Big Grin

I've looked into some other german custom stories, and it hadn't
in it.
It was just like any other extra_english.lang file and it worked in amnesia.
I think you have to implement another file into your custom story, that shows the game how to display the letters correctly.
Anyways, i'll try out the line <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>.
Thanks to you!

EDIT:
No,it didnt work. If you could say where exactly to place the
it would maybe help me.

Do you do it like so:

<LANGUAGE>
(on the very top)

or

</LANGUAGE>
(on the bottom)?

Also, i'm gonna show you a picture of the description of my cs.

(02-15-2014, 10:08 PM)Mudbill Wrote: This page might help a bit as well. Look at the "html" codes and use those. The page only has a limited amount of characters however, and I don't think the ones below are using the html codes, because I'm not getting them to work or show properly.

Description:
As you can see, the game shows some very strange characters (polish or sth.) instead of the ''ä''.

Attached Files
.png   extra.PNG (Size: 110.92 KB / Downloads: 105)
.png   story2.PNG (Size: 151.58 KB / Downloads: 108)

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2014, 11:56 AM by ethics.)
02-23-2014, 11:35 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Yes, my bad I said / by accident. It was indeed supposed to be at the very top of the line.

This seemed to be the fix for me when I used my Windows OS. When I went over to my primary Mac OS, it did nothing, as in the characters already worked fine without it. I'm not actually sure what the problem is then.

So it did nothing for you?

02-23-2014, 03:57 PM
Find
ethics Offline

(02-23-2014, 03:57 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Yes, my bad I said / by accident. It was indeed supposed to be at the very top of the line.

This seemed to be the fix for me when I used my Windows OS. When I went over to my primary Mac OS, it did nothing, as in the characters already worked fine without it. I'm not actually sure what the problem is then.

So it did nothing for you?

No, nothing happened. I think its only in the german version of the game, maybe its a bit bugged. Whatever i'll just use ''ue'' instead of ''ü''.
That works, but it doesn't look very professional...

But the major of my CS' i'm gonna do in english.

02-26-2014, 06:07 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I'm sure there's a way of fixing this issue, and it would be best if we could find it.

I really thought this would work though. Here's a comparison picture of how my game looks with (top) and without (bottom) the xml line.

[Image: lang_comparison_xml.png]

02-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Find
ethics Offline

(02-26-2014, 06:43 PM)Mudbill Wrote: I'm sure there's a way of fixing this issue, and it would be best if we could find it.

I really thought this would work though. Here's a comparison picture of how my game looks with (top) and without (bottom) the xml line.

[Image: lang_comparison_xml.png]

Strange.
It did nothing for me.
Maybe because I'm running Win8 instead of Win7.
Maybe we'll have to come up with another xml line for Win8, I dunno.

04-13-2014, 03:52 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I'm actually very unsure right now, because when I was running the game in my Mac OS X environment, I could see the characters fine without the xml line, whereas in Windows 7, I needed that line for it to show properly. Perhaps it is different in Windows 8, but I see absolutely no reason for that to be. I doubt it's the OS. It must be something else. I thought I figured this out, but it looks to be a lot more than it appears...

04-13-2014, 09:57 PM
Find