Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level Editor Help How do you make a well detailed level?
Radical Batz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
Lightbulb  How do you make a well detailed level?

I am trying to make a very good detailed, realistic level but I'm all out of ideas, I'm scared if I steal somebody's idea because there's this custom story which has this level that i'm really addicted too and I wish it was my level because it was so detailed. I am trying to make my own detailed level but I fail a lot and it becomes a boring level. how do i make a very well detailed, scary,realistic level that makes the player want to keep playing and enjoying the environment? pls help guys. I wish I could make a level which is similar to the prison in the original amnesia but that's copying Sad! HEEEEEEELP!!! If you make really awesome detailed, scary, realistic levels/maps then pls tell me how you did it. plssss
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2014, 06:55 PM by Radical Batz.)
02-18-2014, 06:35 PM
Find
Neelke Offline

Threads: 82
RE: How do you make a well detailed level?

I always start off by adding some particle systems, for example the fog particle. If you wanna use it, here are my recommendation color for prisons.

R=0.482
G=0.345
B=0.155
A=0.8

Adding some decals is also always something nice. The most common one to use (or at least for me) is the large dirt stain. Put it out on the map where you feel like it is necessary.

Another thing for prisons are welders. Usually seen either on the roof or on the wall. Like this one (download link)

Thats basically how I start at least. Others will probably find better solutions, but that's basically what I do. Or at least start with.

Attached Files
.jpg   LevelEditor 2014-02-18 18-54-14-66.jpg (Size: 72.1 KB / Downloads: 142)
02-18-2014, 06:59 PM
Find
Radical Batz Offline
Posting Freak

can I add a food storage room in a prison/dungeon? or is it not realistic? I made a small/tiny food storage room with a wooden pillar in the middle with 2 shelves with no back and lots of dirt stains with pool of wine, this is the room that I'm talking about. Is this good and detailed? this might be a spoiler for my custom story, but it's just a small clip of my dungeon. by the way, the voice in the flashback was me Big Grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVYjclpei...e=youtu.be
02-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13

(02-18-2014, 06:35 PM)Badcat5550 Wrote: I am trying to make a very good detailed, realistic level but I'm all out of ideas, I'm scared if I steal somebody's idea because there's this custom story which has this level that i'm really addicted too and I wish it was my level because it was so detailed. I am trying to make my own detailed level but I fail a lot and it becomes a boring level. how do i make a very well detailed, scary,realistic level that makes the player want to keep playing and enjoying the environment? pls help guys. I wish I could make a level which is similar to the prison in the original amnesia but that's copying Sad! HEEEEEEELP!!! If you make really awesome detailed, scary, realistic levels/maps then pls tell me how you did it. plssss

Hey, so I cant help you with dungeon maps since I havent made one in months (nor do I think theyre particularly visually appealing. But I recorded a timelapse video so you can clearly see how I made my map. Maybe it will inspire you on something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puXlNx-x...ata_player

02-18-2014, 08:18 PM
Find
Neelke Offline

No, that makes total sence. A prison always need food to hand out to prisoners and a place to store it all. My tip is adding a pointlight at the torch. If you have already, make it bigger.

Recommendation color:

R=0.35
G=0.2
B=0
A=0

Radius=5
02-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Find
Radical Batz Offline
Posting Freak

You made one of the best detailed mansion I've ever seen in my life, I only I can do it like yours but that's just copying. sigh, i'm out o ideas, I wish I had one just like you.

ok thanks Neelke, and do you know what kind of coding I should do that should be in a dungeon/prison?
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2014, 08:30 PM by Radical Batz.)
02-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13

(02-18-2014, 08:23 PM)Badcat5550 Wrote: You made one of the best detailed mansion I've ever seen in my life, I only I can do it like yours but that's just copying. sigh, i'm out o ideas, I wish I had one just like you.

Feel free to do something similar, i dont care. You can only learn by doing. How do you think i learned?

I may record more 30-minute timelapses (thats how long it took to record it) if people find interest in them.

02-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Find
Neelke Offline

Well, the simple stuff is some random sounds. For example, I used in a few of my own maps a collapse sound far away. This make it seem like the castle is on the edge of collapsing.

void TimerAreaRock(string &in asTimer)
{
    int iRand = RandInt(1, 6);

PlaySoundAtEntity(asTimer+iRand, "24_rock.snt", asTimer+iRand, 1, false);

StartScreenShake(0.007f, 0.0f, 4.0f, 2.0f);
    SetRadialBlurStartDist(0.8f);
    FadeRadialBlurTo(0.1f, 0.03f);

AddTimer("EndRadial", 4.0f, "TimerEndRadial");
    AddTimer(asTimer, RandFloat(15.0f, 30.0f), "TimerAreaRock");
}
void TimerEndRadial(string &in asTimer)
{
FadeRadialBlurTo(0.0f, 0.1f);
}

void OnStart()
{
     AddTimer("AreaRock_", RandFloat(3.0f,10.f), "TimerAreaRock");
}

Basically, the timer in OnStart start this off. It loops thanks the AddTimer(asTimer, RandFloat(15.0f, 30.0f), "TimerAreaRock");. What area the sound plays on says in the OnStart timer. "AreaRock_". Put out areas on the map that is named the same.

AreaRock_1
AreaRock_2 and so on.

If you wanna add some more than six areas you have to change it. Lets say that we wanna add so many areas as 15. Then we change int iRand = RandInt(1, 6); to int iRand = RandInt(1, 15);

This might be confusing as f**k so ask me any questions if needed. If I confuse you, I cannot help it.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2014, 08:43 PM by Neelke.)
02-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

All of amnesia modders were begginers back in tha day. The tips from this thread won't give you much, the best way to get some experience in level editing is making maps, not for a custom story, but some random maps, start off from basic, not advanced levels such as dungeon corridors with some rooms, labyrinths, etc. By making these levels you will get some experience, and you will be more creative. Being a more creative gives you more ideas such as how should the level look like, what resources are you going to use, etc. I would personally reccomend for you to first draw some sketches of the level, to see how it should look like. Keep in mind it will take a lot of time, but you will quickly notice that every map you make is getting better, believe me, I had the same problems too :) We all had. Don't rush yourself, take your time to learn more things and maybe someday you will make one of the best mods using HPL engine! Good luck on your learning :)
02-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Usually for me I make the maps first then the details. I mean just make a boring dungeon map, and then try to detail it. Probably add some light from windows, dust particles, decals, sound effects, lighting (from torches, candles, etc.). That's what I do in particular. Make the basics FIRST then the details.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
02-19-2014, 02:09 AM
Find