Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Work in progress Level Design Timelapses
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13
Level Design Timelapses

Hey guys, I've decided to create a series of timelapses showing my work in the Amnesia level editor.

These are done at 4x speed. The goal of these videos is to allow some people who may be inexperienced/unsure of level editing to see someone else mapping. I strive to create fun, interesting, and relatively realistic maps

I will be creating more and hopefully of different tilesets soon.

mansionbase
  1. Large Hallway (9:02)
  2. Hallway and Room (12:53)
  3. Main Hall Decoration (23:58)

One goal is to guide relatively newer mappers to pursue interesting designs using the assets they have available to them.

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2014, 04:04 AM by Putmalk.)
02-19-2014, 01:25 AM
Find
Zatchie Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Level Design Timelapses

The maps lack of detail, particles, decal and lights. You should spent way more time on making it random and unique and interesting. The architecture is cool and gives a cool environment, could still work on making it more interesting by adding more edges and less linear wallplacement. Don't be afraid to overdo the detail cause it gives more contrast to the map.

Founder of Frunken Productions. Map designer and 3D and texture artist
http://frunkenproductions.com/
http://youtube.com/frunkenproductions
02-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Find
daortir Offline

Threads: 9

Zatchie got a point here, lighting and detailing is a bit too simple imho. It still looks good, but if you want to make videos about areas that are extremely overused like mansion areas, they really have to be impressive and new.

That's just my point, I think the detailing is okay (no empty table, basically entities in many places) but the lighting is very classic and an original lighting is what makes the mansion maps unique or not imo.

Eternium Sins of the Father's mansion map is a perfect example of how creative and original lighting can really take a map from "detailed map" to "amazing map" imo.

02-19-2014, 01:16 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Only watched the first video...

Despite what the above say, I think you have met your mark well when you say "...to guide relatively newer mappers to pursue interesting designs using the assets they have available to them."

I'm not new to mapping, but I am definitely not an expert on it. Going from the simple things of constructing a wall, plane and ceiling room/corridor, you provide people with ideas of finding ways to fill up space in the room and provide adequate lightsources (however I think there are one too many candles and your pointlights can be a little bigger to make those darkspots in the corner less noticeable).

Can't really recommend much except add a boxlight (unless I missed that moment) in terms of novice to standard mapping techniques. You can work on particles as well, despite them being there, but I usually found particles to be more advanced mapping.

Good job, and hope you work on more :3

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2014, 01:28 PM by Romulator.)
02-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Find
daortir Offline

Threads: 9

Yeah, think I missed the point of the videos x). I mean it's always going to be helpful to someone, and I thank you for the initiative ! So good job with the videos, but the advice on mapping remains :3.

I sounded cocky as hell in the first post, holy moly D: ! Sorry about that, I was kind of focused on the advice that I thought was useful, and I didn't really look about the fact that I must have looked like a jerk :I.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2014, 01:52 PM by daortir.)
02-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64

This is great idea, to make creative mapping videos, only negative is your design is overall too simple (at least for me) maybe you should do something more unique and different and not just building rooms, ceilings and hallways.

I mean, I really like watching these, but they are too simple, maybe for beginners to follow this idea is good and creative way to teach make something like that.

Continue, but make on next video something complicated / complex structures or never-seened stuff too.

Overall, keep doing these! It's really motivating to beginners to watch! Smile

“Life is a game, play it”
02-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I only map for about 30-40 minutes per video (condenses into 8-10 minutes of video). I do not consider any of these maps "finished" just "detailed" and a good starting point. I mean, they also don't have any scripts attached to them, and that comes later (I'm not doing a timelapse on scripting, that'd be pretty pathetic to try and watch). But I think these videos will be a good resource for beginners looking to explore their craft. And I'm also killing two birds with one stone and developing a custom story at the same time, so this is an interesting look into the process behind how that goes.

As for building stuff more unique. That's the end goal. But right now my custom story does not require that stuff yet. (for example, I want to start mapping exterior locations, but I'm not up to that point yet).

Few notes:

I am starting to explore more verticality in the maps, not just building flat horizontal rooms (you can see a small example of this in the 2nd video). I mentioned in that video I'd detail the main mansion hall, but I've decided to instead focus on constructing the larger library section of the mansion (part of the same map) and I have some cool ideas regarding that. It'll be a multi-parter, since that will take a while to map. :/

I'm reluctant to extend the length of the videos past 15 minutes, as that will be boring to watch for that long. But I can, that just means I'll be mapping for an hour instead.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2014, 10:41 PM by Putmalk.)
02-19-2014, 10:39 PM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Posted a new one. Hopefully you guys enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smuiHXEG1NA

02-23-2014, 04:03 AM
Find