Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Note Issues
Deadon Offline

Threads: 5
Note Issues

Hey, (Jeez I sound dumb for saying this) but do you guys know how to make notes work? I've watched mudbill and all those guys and it doesn't seem to work. Is there a way or something(I know about the [br]) to write it?Huh
Just Totally and Utterly Confused (and a little mad)

Here's the example:

<Entry Name="Note_CisternNote_Name">Regarding The Machine</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_CisternNote_Text">[voice 18_paper_daniel03.ogg] The Machine Hasn't been working lately, Probably just a stupid prank by those oafs from the cistern, but they flooded the area.[br]
But anyways, just in case I forget, The spare wheels are in the storage. Hope the janitor didn't move them. If he does, I'll have him investigate all these "occurrences" the workers are complaining about.
</Entry>

2 Mappers are definitely better than one.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2014, 01:17 AM by Deadon.)
02-20-2014, 01:16 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Note Issues

That entry should be in the Journal(or something else didn't recall). In the Level Editor, click the note and go to Entities in the right side. There should be a part that says NoteText. Input your NoteText name there. In your case this should be CisternNote

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
02-20-2014, 01:26 AM
Find
MsHannerBananer Offline

Threads: 34

(02-20-2014, 01:16 AM)Deadon Wrote: Hey, (Jeez I sound dumb for saying this) but do you guys know how to make notes work? I've watched mudbill and all those guys and it doesn't seem to work. Is there a way or something(I know about the [br]) to write it?Huh
Just Totally and Utterly Confused (and a little mad)

Here's the example:

<Entry Name="Note_CisternNote_Text">[voice 18_paper_daniel03.ogg] The Machine Hasn't been working lately, Probably just a stupid prank by those oafs from the cistern, but they flooded the area.[br]
But anyways, just in case I forget, The spare wheels are in the storage. Hope the janitor didn't move them. If he does, I'll have him investigate all these "occurrences" the workers are complaining about.
</Entry>

First make sure it's in the Journal Category. The voice won't work because it needs to be on a separate line of it's own, so put it like this.

<Entry Name="Note_CisternNote_Text">[voice 18_paper_daniel03.ogg][br]The Machine Hasn't been working lately, Probably just a stupid prank by those oafs from the cistern, but they flooded the area.[br]
            </Entry>

If you're having trouble with the text showing up, make sure your names are correct. (Don't worry, I've had the same problem with Mud's tutorials, and I always find that I missed something, it's not a bad thing, we all miss stuff. xD)

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2014, 01:33 AM by MsHannerBananer.)
02-20-2014, 01:33 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

It's funny how easy it is to forget a simple name edit or number change. Happens to the best of scripters.

02-20-2014, 01:35 AM
Find
Deadon Offline

(02-20-2014, 01:26 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: That entry should be in the Journal(or something else didn't recall). In the Level Editor, click the note and go to Entities in the right side. There should be a part that says NoteText. Input your NoteText name there. In your case this should be CisternNote
Not to sound rude, but I kinda Know this already. As the tutorials should point out.

Oh, Just tested it. Still doesn't work.

Just popped up, this line is grey (notepad++,C++ Language, know about hpl support and has it, but it doesn't matter)
"'t move them. If he does, I"

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2014, 02:12 AM by Deadon.)
02-20-2014, 01:58 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Try removing those quotes you have around "occurrences." This might not be the issue, but perhaps it causes a parse-error.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2014, 02:15 AM by Mudbill.)
02-20-2014, 02:15 AM
Find
Deadon Offline

Nope. Sorry. So Close and yet so far(perhaps).
Btw. I saw your notes video (I'm subscribed so you're welcome) so perhaps there is an answer in me misunderstanding....
Hmmm.... I'll look into it.

02-20-2014, 02:21 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

So, what exactly goes wrong? Is it just the text not appearing in the note? Since you have a voice file on it, does it just instantly close? Did you add the [br] after the voice as HannahDJA mentioned?

Does the description in the main menu work? If not the problem might be elsewhere in your lang. Perhaps you should post the whole thing. Don't forget a [spoiler] Wink

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2014, 02:36 AM by Mudbill.)
02-20-2014, 02:36 AM
Find
Deadon Offline

Sure, Why not?Smile NOT IN ORDER, most of these are copied from another. I just took the scripting part and rewritten it. But I'll include all my renames.
Spoiler below!
<CATEGORY Name="Journal">

<CATEGORY Name="Messages">
<Entry Name="IntroMessage">Aquaphobia: n.[br] an abnormal fear of drowning.

But anyways, just in case I forget, The spare wheels are in the storage. Hope the janitor didn't move them. If he does, I'll have him investigate all these 'occurrences' the workers are complaining about.
</Entry>

<Entry Name="Note_CisternNote_Text">[voice 18_paper_daniel03.ogg][br]The Machine Hasn't been working lately, Probably just a stupid prank by those oafs from the cistern, but they flooded the area.[br]
But anyways, just in case I forget, The spare wheels are in the storage. Hope the janitor didn't move them. If he does, I'll have him investigate all these occurrences the workers are complaining about.
</Entry>

<Entry Name="Quest_cellar_Text">The Mechanism seems to be damaged. I must find a way to repair it before that Suitor catches me.</Entry>

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2014, 02:53 AM by Deadon.)
02-20-2014, 02:52 AM
Find
MsHannerBananer Offline

Threads: 34

(02-20-2014, 02:52 AM)Deadon Wrote: Sure, Why not?Smile NOT IN ORDER, most of these are copied from another. I just took the scripting part and rewritten it. But I'll include all my renames.
Spoiler below!

<Entry Name="IntroMessage">Aquaphobia: n.[br] an abnormal fear of drowning.

But anyways, just in case I forget, The spare wheels are in the storage. Hope the janitor didn't move them. If he does, I'll have him investigate all these 'occurrences' the workers are complaining about.
</Entry>

But anyways, just in case I forget, The spare wheels are in the storage. Hope the janitor didn't move them. If he does, I'll have him investigate all these occurrences the workers are complaining about.
</Entry>

<Entry Name="Quest_cellar_Text">The Mechanism seems to be damaged. I must find a way to repair it before that Suitor catches me.</Entry>

Need to have a </Entry> after your entry for Aquaphobia

Spoiler below!

<Entry Name="IntroMessage">Aquaphobia: n.[br] an abnormal fear of drowning.</Entry>

<Entry Name="Note_CisternNote_Text">[voice 18_paper_daniel03.ogg][br] The Machine Hasn't been working lately, Probably just a stupid prank by those oafs from the cistern, but they flooded the area.[br]
</Entry>

That's the correct script. I don't see any other errors, and the single quotes around 'occurrences' shouldn't interfere with script, so it's good that you changed that.

If it still doesn't work... the only other thing I could suggest is double check, and triple check your names, copy and paste them right from the .lang file to prevent typos when you're in the level editor. My level editor lags with bigger maps, so sometimes when I type stuff in it skips letters.

02-20-2014, 03:01 AM
Find