Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Key Not Appearing in Game
TurdFerguson Offline

Threads: 3
Key Not Appearing in Game

Hello everyone! So I have been picking up on the scripting through trial and error an everything has been going pretty smoothly.

However, I seem to be running into an odd issue. When I place keys in my levels, none of them appear in game. In the level editor, the model appears fine, but in game model does not appear. I can pick up the key as if is there and all the scripts involving it work fine.

Any idea on what the issue may be? I am using the latest Level Editor 131111. I'm thinking of copying the entities out of the original Amnesia folder and copying them into my game dev folder in case the Machine for Pigs stuff that was imported screwed things up. I know for the lantern I had to do the same because it would cause the game to crash when the lantern was placed because of the MFP lantern files.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: So I did some testing and keys will appear in game for me. There seems to be some sort of issue with putting it inside the "small chest" entity. No matter what key I use the model refuses to appear in game.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2014, 04:12 AM by TurdFerguson.)
02-21-2014, 03:56 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Key Not Appearing in Game

I think that by in game modelling, the small chest entity will cover up a key when it is placed along the 0.25 scale. If you can locate your key in the Level Editor, click it and move it up the Y axis by a little (about 0.1 should be alright), which will raise it up a bit. Gravity in game will cause it to fall down to the bottom of the chest.

If it is NOT that, then I can assume that there is something wrong with the mesh (the texture of the key). Have you got a Steam or Retail version?

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
02-21-2014, 06:13 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

The small chest's collision box is kinda lacking. If you place a key in there, it falls through the bottom of it (visually). When you hover your crosshair over it, it still glows blue around as normal, but you can see this through the mesh of the chest, therefore making it seem like the key is invisible.

If you do run into maps not updating your level editor progress, it could also be caused by a .map_cache file next to your .map. If that happens, delete it.

02-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Find
TurdFerguson Offline

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm going to have to try messing around with the position I guess. I tried placing it in what looked to be the middle of the box before but maybe it was not high up enough.

To answer the other question: I am using a downloaded copy (which I'm guessing is the equivalent of retail) from Amazon with the latest patch installed. I copied meshes from a fresh install and patch over and every key does the same thing so I'm betting it does have to do with the chest's collision box. I'll post back tomorrow if I have time to test it out.
02-23-2014, 07:11 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

That's alright. If it were a mesh problem then you would have to reinstall Smile If it helps, try putting your key outside of the box for a moment to make sure that the key IS actually visible as well. Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
02-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

What I actually did in this case was to make the key's "StaticPhysics" enabled. Either through script or in the editor. Have it hover a bit and it will stay there.

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2014, 03:47 PM by Mudbill.)
02-23-2014, 03:47 PM
Find
TurdFerguson Offline

(02-23-2014, 03:47 PM)Mudbill Wrote: What I actually did in this case was to make the key's "StaticPhysics" enabled. Either through script or in the editor. Have it hover a bit and it will stay there.

This did the trick Mudbill! Thanks a bunch.
02-24-2014, 03:24 AM
Find