Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Fandom Gruff ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ) UNFLIPPED THREAD
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49
RE: LONGEST THREAD NAME EVER || C-'Ai mnahn' kn'a - Nilgh'ri geb || Traggey is Boyinaband

What programming languages do you people know? I just started to learn Java.
08-18-2017, 08:35 PM
Find
SamChurch Offline

Threads: 3
RE: LONGEST THREAD NAME EVER || C-'Ai mnahn' kn'a - Nilgh'ri geb || Traggey is Boyinaband

(08-18-2017, 08:35 PM)Red Wrote: What programming languages do you people know? I just started to learn Java.

That's a great question, and I'd like to add my own. I would really love to start learning computer programming but I can't afford to go to college for it. Any advice? I would love to try learning on my own but I have no idea where to start.
08-19-2017, 12:31 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(08-18-2017, 08:35 PM)Red Wrote: What programming languages do you people know? I just started to learn Java.

Java, C# and F#.

Those are the main languages I've spent time on during my study courses.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2017, 07:24 AM by FlawlessHappiness.)
08-19-2017, 03:22 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Apparently Python is very easy, and Ruby as well. But as for where to start learning? Hmm..

I think there are things on Youtube that are very useful, but the quality varies heavily. I personally used Lynda.com and CBTNuggets.com, but both are premium websites (as in paid).

I haven't used it, but Code Academy might be a good, free place to start. Quality looks good.

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2017, 06:25 PM by Mudbill.)
08-19-2017, 06:22 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

(08-19-2017, 03:22 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote:

Java, C# and F#.

Those are the main languages I've spent time on during my study courses.

How about C++? Smile
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2017, 04:42 PM by Red.)
08-20-2017, 04:42 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

C++ is incredibly useful, but also more on the harder side. Perhaps not something you'd wanna start with unless you're a masochist Tongue

It might be easier to start with Java and then move on to C++ later. In Java you will learn the core concepts of programming languages, and then later in C++ you can worry about the more advanced areas, like memory management.

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2017, 05:29 PM by Mudbill.)
08-20-2017, 05:28 PM
Find
SamChurch Offline

(08-19-2017, 06:22 PM)Mudbill Wrote: I haven't used it, but Code Academy might be a good, free place to start. Quality looks good.

I've given Code Academy a try before and it was pretty decent, I learned how to do certain things like make a little robot dude move across the screen and then through a maze and how just one wrong line can mess up the whole code, but what they didn't teach was what a lot of the code meant. Granted this was way back when they only had 3 lessons and a pretty crappy website. I've received numerous emails from them since of new features and such and the website is completely new to me so I'll give that a shot.

(08-20-2017, 05:28 PM)Mudbill Wrote: It might be easier to start with Java and then move on to C++ later. In Java you will learn the core concepts of programming languages, and then later in C++ you can worry about the more advanced areas, like memory management.

When I was enrolled to go to Full Sail University for Video Game Development, they told me that most classes start with Java and move up to C# and then up to C++ unless you have standard experience in the previous language. Seems like a pretty advisable path to follow.
And as Mudbill stated, Python was suggested as something to learn during downtime because it is supposedly fairly easy to learn and another good stepping stone but not one you can move immediately to another language with. Again, with no experience whatsoever, I can't verify any of this but that's just what I was told by some that I would consider professionals.
08-20-2017, 08:17 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

My friend started out with Python and he really likes it. I don't know what other languages he has studied in between, but he's now focusing on C++ in university. He hasn't touched much on Java or C# from what I know, aside from what I've posted as examples, but if you know C++ already, you'll practically know Java by default. He definitely understands what I try to post, because we both have that common understanding of how programming works, even if we don't know the exact syntax or context. If something's unclear, we just ask "What does X mean in this instance?" to fill in the blanks.

I guess I'm just trying to say that it's definitely possible to skip straight to C++ if you want to, but it's probably only for select few who grasp it quickly. Before knowing the core of how to think like a computer, I'd say stick to something that doesn't confuse you more than necessary.

And that's why Java is easier than C++, because Java is more verbose/descriptive, where C++ is more compressed/abbreviated. Example: (J) System.out.println("text"); (C++) std::cout >> "text";

(This post was last modified: 08-21-2017, 02:41 PM by Mudbill.)
08-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Find
SamChurch Offline

(08-21-2017, 02:39 PM)Mudbill Wrote: And that's why Java is easier than C++, because Java is more verbose/descriptive, where C++ is more compressed/abbreviated. Example: (J) System.out.println("text"); (C++) std::cout >> "text";

This line here, this reminded me what the lessons were teaching on CodeAcademy. It was definitely C++, and they jumped in to the code without explaining what certain things meant, like the bit there with the "cout". They used it repeatedly and even had me use it, but I have no idea what it's function is, what it does.

On a similar note, has anyone played a game on Steam called "Human Resource Machine" and if so, do you think it would be useful as a practice tool of sorts?
08-22-2017, 07:44 AM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22

And here I am, without any knowledge besides AngelScript used in Amnesia TDD.
Jeez, I need to start learning stuff

08-29-2017, 12:15 AM
Find