Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone help with my CS (read this!)
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Someone help with my CS (read this!)

I can probably give some pointers, but not that much since I am also busy with my first Custom Story.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-15-2014, 03:53 AM
Find
Straxedix Offline

Threads: 52

That is cool thanks il PM you Big Grin

03-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Find
Straxedix Offline

(03-14-2014, 09:30 PM)Kia Wrote: A lot of forum members are more than willing to help explain to/teach you how to script/map and provide pointers, but it takes a lot to convince them to jump on-board a project when you haven't given any indication about the length, story-line, concepts, etc.. (METAPHOR TIME 8D) It's like throwing a fishing hook in the water with no bait on it - not many fishies will bite., but shoving a worm on it is going to make it much more appetizing.

Edit: also, "good maps" is a little subjective - are you talking Hardarm/Robosprog/Traggey/Kman/all-dem-mapping-gods good, or are you talking about just 4 walls, a grunt and a closet good? Because Mapping-god style things are not uhm... "easy" (although difficulty is just as subjective XD)

As for me, I'm rather busy with personal things - final exams and such - but I'll gladly give you some pointers on mapping if you drop me a PM (could even just send me a completed scene and ask my opinion about it - I like giving my opinion :p)

Another side note - you just acknowledged that you have "bad English" (I've seen worse x3), I'd recommend having someone proof-read your extra_english.lang file for spelling/grammar errors as well c:

Kia that is really nice from you Smile
But i just started with maps engine scripts and stuff this is new from me
first i want make a conversion mod that will be played about 45 minutes to 2 hours maybe and more Big Grin
Next i'm not pro but i will GIVE ALL I CAN to map don't be 2 walls,celling,floor and closet and monster...
I wanna make a map that will be REALLY scary without jumpscares but it wan't a lot of work,free time,script skills and stuff
So that's why i asked here but i see only Neelke wanna help and only he understand me but it's ok better something then nothing Smile

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2014, 11:46 AM by Straxedix.)
03-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

Just gonna be honest about what I think here: I think you should start working on that CS yourself, take a look at a few tutorials on the internet and if you need help, people here (me included) will be more than glad to help you with certain issues. But as far as i see, what you're asking here is people to do all the mapping and scripting for you, aka develop the CS for you. Scripting in Amnesia is easy, basic stuff is easy, the complex is a bit harder but definetly not something an average person couldnt achieve.

My advice: You start working on that CS on your own, when you reach a point where you dont know what to do or how to do something, you're more than welcome to ask Smile

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
03-15-2014, 12:23 PM
Find
Radical Batz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

I can help you with the grammar if you want for your lang file Smile but I'm not always available though, I have to even work with my cs.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2014, 12:32 PM by Radical Batz.)
03-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Find
Straxedix Offline

Nope im not asking that Dogfood im also doing job and i was ask for a little help as i see im not Welcome here...But anyway im not welcome anywhere and when i create custom story no one gonna play cuz it's bad i know that! Sad

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2014, 05:43 PM by Straxedix.)
03-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

No one said you aren't welcome here D:

We're just trying to encourage you to do things yourself and learn x3 Try not to be so hard on yourself - no one does things perfectly the first time!

(03-15-2014, 11:45 AM)Straxedix Wrote: Kia that is really nice from you Smile
But i just started with maps engine scripts and stuff this is new from me
first i want make a conversion mod that will be played about 45 minutes to 2 hours maybe and more Big Grin
Length is not necessarily quality - make sure the game's length is appropriate for the story line AND for your skill level. Take a look at the 24-hour mapping challenge, Insomnia, and Hunter. They're all under 30 minutes, but they're all very good Custom Stories

(03-15-2014, 11:45 AM)Straxedix Wrote: Next i'm not pro but i will GIVE ALL I CAN to map don't be 2 walls,celling,floor and closet and monster...
I wanna make a map that will be REALLY scary without jumpscares but it wan't a lot of work,free time,script skills and stuff
So that's why i asked here but i see only Neelke wanna help and only he understand me but it's ok better something then nothing Smile
Like I said before: Most of us are willing to help you learn how to do things (like mapping, scripting, etc.), but not many will do the mapping/scripting for you. We want to see you grow and become awesome at stuff!

These links are a good place to start:
Again, if you need any clarification, examples, extra help, whatever - just ask c: We'll gladly help you learn new things!

EDIT:
One more thing - I found that reading through the Screenshot Criticism Thread helped me learn quicker, because I used the advice given to other people and applied it to my own maps.

Second Edit: Holy cow, it's like a wall-o-text party up in here!

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2014, 07:33 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
03-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(03-15-2014, 05:27 PM)Straxedix Wrote: Nope im not asking that Dogfood im also doing job and i was ask for a little help as i see im not Welcome here...But anyway im not welcome anywhere and when i create custom story no one gonna play cuz it's bad i know that! Sad

who said you're not welcome here? Did i somehow offend you? I just gave you advice.

Look, the reason everyone is not jumping here and offering to help you with custom story is not because you are "not welcome" it's because everyone else here is busy too, either with their own custom stories or real life matters. Or even both at once which is quite likely.

As far as i know even more known members wouldnt get people helping them with custom stories that easy, infact i know barely any cases where there has been multiple people working on one. Mostly because doing an Amnesia CS is completely doable by one person.

you're welcome in this community, everyone is welcome, it's not like you're joining an upper class club which only allows special snowflakes in. We've all been where you are, some still are. I've started working on a CS around 2 years ago, a story which i havent released because well i barely work on it. I know the basics of scripting and i know how mapping works, but I still pester everyone on how to do X or how to do Y. Despite being not good as everyone else here, I never asked anyone to actually do some mapping for me or scripting. Because 1. It's better for my own sake, to do things on my own (much quicker to learn) 2. Because everyone has other things to do.

Oh and please keep this in mind to avoid misunderstanding me:

It's perfectly okay to ask for help, you're more than welcome to ask for help because it's always a pleasure to help a new guy get into the "modding" community here.

What i'm saying is just that you try to do the mapping and scripting alone, and when you come across a question about how to make something work, how to do a certain thing in your custom story that you'd want. You're more than welcome to start a thread where we can tell you exactly which code to write or how to do whatever you want to do.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
03-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Find
Straxedix Offline

Thanks Dogfood and Kia :-) but still when i start thread for some cod ppl-s tell me learn basics i trying but i gonna do maps first them il add scripts :-)

Anyone of you guys have some link for good scripts and to learn them :-)

03-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

Way ahead of ya ;D

(03-15-2014, 07:04 PM)Kia Wrote: These links are a good place to start:

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2014, 08:37 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
03-15-2014, 08:36 PM
Find