Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Questions About the Manpigs
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17
RE: A Few Questions About the Manpigs

(04-20-2014, 03:56 AM)SomethingRidiculous Wrote:
(03-22-2014, 09:39 PM)ThatCrazyShaman Wrote: Quite obviously, Alexander doesn't want Daniel dead, whether it's to keep the Shadow from just coming after him, or because he genuinely likes Daniel.

Moar Daniel-Alexander fanfics!!1!

Relevant?
04-20-2014, 05:20 AM
Find
lothabread Offline

Threads: 11

completely
04-20-2014, 05:28 AM
Find
ThatCrazyShaman Offline

Threads: 17

(04-20-2014, 03:19 AM)Alardem Wrote: It's implied that most of the Pigs are mental patients, homeless people, and "recrafted" house-servants. There is a sign inside the Nest of Wretches which tells them not to "fraternize" (rut), which indicates that they're intelligent enough to read. Hell, one of the Pigs is even seen writing inside his cell. It's possible that the driving Pig also left the 'driver's note' on his truck, although the grammar is much better than that of the man who writes a note describing his transformation inside the laboratory.

I'm curious as to how much free will they have, and what motivates their aggression. They were clearly obeying the Machine when arising to kill, rape and capture the citizens of London, but did they also attack Mandus out of recognition? I'm also wondering if there's a reason for the 'hierarchy' between the Engineers and Wretches. For example, you see a larger Engineer push aside a cowering Wretch in the Nest - proof that Mandus' plan to change human nature (or the ridiculously strict class system) is a failure. It also appears that the Tesla is just indiscriminately hostile to other beings, resulting in it killing an unfortunate Wretch.

If I recall correctly, Mandus never says that he transformed his orphan children - only used them to clean the Machine's insides, and then fed them to the Pigs. I also believe that he didn't transform his rich guests, but instead turned them into meat to fatten the Pigs and future victims.

As far as free will, I always figured that they went along with what was going on primarily due to the fact that they really didn’t have any other option – it was either do what they were told, or die. And considering how Daniel’s refusal to just wait for the Shadow to take him led to him doing things he normally wouldn’t, I’d say that’s as good a guess as any.

Why they attack Mandus is something I’ve always been very curious about.
Judging from the specific times at which they appear in the game [such as the Engineers showing up after Mandus begins the second sabotage, or the Wretches who try to prevent him from progressing once he reaches the piston area], it seems that at least some of them may have specific motivations for attacking him… aside from being bitter about what happened to them, of course.

The Wretches would appear to want to dissuade him from continuing forward. It’s also entirely possible that they just don’t want to have to interact with him, although attacking him would hardly help the situation. In general, they seem wary of him, considering that when he respawns after being killed by a Wretch, the Wretch that attacked him will run from him every time he gets near it, unless it gets cornered, suggesting that they’re quite frightened of him possibly harming them. Also there’s the Wretch in the sewers that actively seeks to avoid him [including closing the gate behind it when it goes to exit, so he can’t follow and then making a hasty retreat].

Likewise, it could be as simple as them having a poor grasp on impulse control [something not uncommon to the mentally ill]. It also crossed my mind that they could have a bit of trouble discerning whom it is they’re actually attacking in the dark.

I always wondered exactly whom some of the Manpigs were made from, as there’s that note about Jack and his sons [which makes me think that at least some of the Wretches could have been younger individuals – not necessarily children, but working-age teens or young adults. That would serve to explain why they’re shorter and comparatively weaker than the Engineers.]... which could also be a reason for the hierarchy you mentioned.

(04-20-2014, 03:56 AM)SomethingRidiculous Wrote:
(03-22-2014, 09:39 PM)ThatCrazyShaman Wrote: Quite obviously, Alexander doesn't want Daniel dead, whether it's to keep the Shadow from just coming after him, or because he genuinely likes Daniel.

Moar Daniel-Alexander fanfics!!1!

Lol I didn't mean it in quite that context, but you gave me a chuckle nonetheless.

...The only people worthy of consideration are the unusual ones. Common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed. - L. Frank Baum
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2014, 03:29 AM by ThatCrazyShaman.)
05-04-2014, 03:28 AM
Find