Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level Editor Help Texturing and Geometry is strange
physcostealth Offline

Threads: 12
Texturing and Geometry is strange

So here, we've got two problems going on.

First things first, the geometry of my plane is all messed up. In the level editor, it looks somewhat smooth and paved out but inside the game it appears ridged and artificial.

Secondly, the texture appears perfectly fine in the level editor but doesn't appear in the game (instead it just goes to default grey). I've tried deleting the msh files and any cached files. I'm just not sure why it's only affecting the game and not the editor.

Here's what everything looks like in the level editor. The texture is there, it just sort of blends in.
Spoiler below!

[Image: 2wd993d.png]

Here's what everything looks like in the game.
Spoiler below!

[Image: 2vhxhyt.png]

What can I do to fix this problem?

PS: While we're at it, is there a way we can change the sound the player makes when he walks on different surfaces? When he walks on water, he splashes. When he walks on land... it sounds like he walks on land. Any way to manipulate these sorta sound effects to suit the surface he walks on?
04-02-2014, 04:14 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Texturing and Geometry is strange

Which texture format are you using for the model? Should be .dds (directdrawsurface)

Some peolpe use PNG or TGA, these people should be spanked.

As for your geometry issue you have already created a thread about that, please don't bring it up again.

And yes you can change the sound effects of surfaces, but you'll have to turn your custom story into a full conversion mod.
04-02-2014, 07:34 AM
Find
physcostealth Offline

Threads: 12

I'm on a mac but I use a Windows 7 on a virtual machine, so I get the .dds files from there. As far as I know, the texture files aren't corrupt and they've been cooperating for a while.

As for the thread, I assume you're talking about the 'Map renders out pretty weird' one in which I discuss a problem with a maya export that has nothing to do with rigid geometric patterns on a snow-covered terrain that show only in gameplay and in no place other. I understand that administrators are struggling to keep threads to a minimum but if it's new, it's new.

It's kind of a pain in the neck that in order to want to change little things in a custom story, you'd have to make a full conversion mod. I asked someone earlier about being able to change the font color of notes. Nope, has to be a full conversion. Anyways thanks for the reply
04-02-2014, 07:59 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

The problem with the geometry being visible is due to the lighting (probably more but that's one big thing). Try replacing the boxlight with a pointlight. This should make the nmap and spec map come into effect. I had a similar issue with something of mine, and I got the geometry to be nearly invisible. I'm guessing the real issue lies somewhere in the material file though.

As for the texture, perhaps it's there but just not visible because of all the light and the fact that is it a very bright texture. Either that or, again, it's a problem with the .mat file. Have you tried opening it?

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2014, 10:09 AM by Mudbill.)
04-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

(04-02-2014, 04:14 AM)physcostealth Wrote: PS: While we're at it, is there a way we can change the sound the player makes when he walks on different surfaces? When he walks on water, he splashes. When he walks on land... it sounds like he walks on land. Any way to manipulate these sorta sound effects to suit the surface he walks on?

You make your own version of materials.cfg in your mod with all the new entries you want, like Snow, e.g. Then you may declare any material as Snow in MaterialEditor (Or any text editor) to get the custom sounds when the player walks on a plane with this material.

Note: I did it only once, I may have missed something.

04-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Find