Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can the serial key of a retail version be checked by Run/regedit on Windows ?
Petike Offline

Threads: 35
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Can the serial key of a retail version be checked by Run/regedit on Windows ?

I can run it, but I am worried that after I have to reinstall it on my desktop after the OS switch, I might encounter problems with the missing serial key. Also, I think I had some issues with the serial key when I did a trial install of the 1.2/Justine update. Though that was probably due to the fact that I installed the English language version of the update - it might have clashed a bit with my localized version, as English is not the default language in it anymore. But outside of a lot of text reverting to English and the update asking me to reenter the serial key, there weren't any clear problems with running the game. Currently, it runs well, despite the language in the menus reverting to English.

I'll be in need of new, clean install of the game anyway, so that's part of my worries about losing the serial key. Well, maybe your experiment with the files will work. I'm hoping for it.

In the meantime, I'll try to check all the non-disk materials to my copy that I can find. I'm still hoping the box hasn't been lost completely and that it's just burried elsewhere in my flat. Wish me luck with the search.

BTW, the official Czech translation of the 1.2 update can be found here.

I'll probably use that one in the near future, just to avoid text reversions in my translated retail copy. We'll see. Finding the 1.1 version's serial key is more of a priority for me now. I can bother with reinstalling the update later, once I'm sure I won't have to worry about a clean reinstall of 1.1 in my new OS.

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2014, 02:46 PM by Petike.)
04-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Can the serial key of a retail version be checked by Run/regedit on Windows ?

Ok, the file is called installey and is located as I said at Documents\Amnesia\Main.

[Image: 4pu3.png]

If it's not there and the game runs it must be using a different DRM method like Steam or something else. I'm not familiar with others apart from the FG Store and Steam versions.

OR

You installed an update (v1.2) meant for another copy of the game (for example the Amazon version) which could use another DRM method or even none.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2014, 03:00 PM by plutomaniac.)
04-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Find
Petike Offline

(04-07-2014, 02:57 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: Ok, the file is called installey and is located as I said at Documents\Amnesia\Main.

If it's not there and the game runs it must be using a different DRM method like Steam or something else. I'm not familiar with others apart from the FG Store and Steam versions.

OR

You installed an update (v1.2) meant for another copy of the game (for example the Amazon version) which could use another DRM method or even none.

Thanks ! Cool At least now I'm sure the file probably exists even in my retail copy. It might be that the 1.2 update I installed somehow deleted or moved the file - not sure how that could have happened, though. Huh Or I deleted the file by accident long ago and didn't notice. Either of those two possibilities might be true, if we go with the idea that my retail copy is supposed to have it in the Main folder. Undecided

Tell you what:
This evening, I'll try to install the vanilla (1.1) copy of the game on my other computer and see whether the file pops up. If not, we'll at least know the key was distributed differently. But I'm hoping it wasn't and that there's an electronic copy of it somewhere. I might try to look for said file on the installation DVD as well. Maybe they've put it there.

If not even that yields any results, I'll try to search for my copy's box again.

At the very worst, I'll just rebuy the game. It's a pity I don't have the type of bank account needed for a digital purchase at the moment - if I could, I'd just buy a new digital copy from the FG shop. So far, I've bought all FG games as physical copies, so at least I'd be doing them a favour with a digital purchase (since pretty much all of the income would go to them).

Thanks for all the help so far.

04-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

There is no key file located on the DVD. The file only pops when you entered the key in the launcher.

And I'm sure they will remove the key validation with next update. Because there are many reasons:

1. AAMFP doesn't have this.
2. The "protection" is absolutely useless.
3. It will just cause frustration (like this).
4. It's an old game now.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2014, 04:52 PM by Googolplex.)
04-07-2014, 04:51 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

As was said, the installkey file is not included. It's generated after the game's first run when it asks you to enter it.
04-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Find
Petike Offline

(04-07-2014, 06:19 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: As was said, the installkey file is not included. It's generated after the game's first run when it asks you to enter it.

Yeah, I figured.

Unfortunately, as my other comp is a laptop - which I know won't run the game, obviously - I was hoping I could at least check the files once they're all installed onto its drive. But then I noticed that it doesn't create the entire profile unless you properly start the game for the first time, etc. Just as you've remarked.

So, I'll try one more thing:
I'll backup all my current Amnesia files from the desktop onto a USB storage drive, then uninstall everything Amnesia-related from the desktop, do a clean install onto the desktop again and once I run the game once, I'll have a look at the serial key. It might appear.

And if it doesn't, well, then I'll wait for one of the updates. And if even the updates won't help me in this regard, I'll rebuy the game.

One bit of good news: I've found the copy's original box ! Cool

Sadly, after searching the whole thing and every single leaflet I could find, I still haven't found a sticker with the serial key. Sad

So, I'll try a clean install on the desktop, plus backup, and if I run into problems, I'll just wait until the 1.3 update gets officially released.

Thanks, guys !

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2014, 08:18 PM by Petike.)
04-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Probably you can take a photo of your box and ask Frictional Games for a new key.
04-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Find
Petike Offline

Update: After a few days had passed of me uninstalling everything Amnesia-related, I reinstalled the vanilla version of the game and ran it. No product key problems, it ran fine. I didn't test it with the 1.2 update, but I'm not in the mood, nor do I have time left for that. I'll be getting the comp ready for repairs tomorrow and taking it away on Tuesday. Hopefully, once I bring it back, there won't be any new problems, at least not with the vanilla version.

(04-08-2014, 03:57 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Probably you can take a photo of your box and ask Frictional Games for a new key.

Nice idea, but I doubt that would really be possible. Jens and Thomas have said, time and again, that they can't help with product keys that were sold by other retailers than Frictional themselves. So, I won't be asking for that kind of help.

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2014, 09:31 PM by Petike.)
04-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Find