Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ambient SOUNDS problem
Plazmater Offline

Threads: 24
Ambient SOUNDS problem

Hi there , so i am making my custom story and i am not sure how this works or how to fix it ...

For example ,any ambient music from MUSIC folder in redist folder works perfectly for levels from script:

PlayMusic("25_amb.ogg", true, 1.0f, 3, 0, true);

However... if i want to use second amb for more detailed ambient sounds (it´s located in: sounds/03/03_amb.ogg),and thats where is problem...

That ambient sound is not surrounding player as ambient from MUSIC file...
It can be heard like from 1 point from the map , so when i am facing my player to that point, that sound can be heard perfectly , however turning player to different direction, it will change sound so it will be heard from 1 point...
(if you are facing player a bit to left from that point you can hear Amb sound almost only in right ear and , same goes for another direction....)

This problem goes for all Amb sounds from SOUNDS folder.

Too much detailed but i want some help that is working because its annoying me for few days...

Also i checked original maps from Amnesia and FG also use on some levels Ambient music mixed with Ambient sound, it works flawlessly there but not in my custom story.

Any help ?
04-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Ambient SOUNDS problem

If I understood you correctly, you're saying the 3D effect is annoying? If you have a 3D sound play from a specific location in the map, then turning the camera will pan the sound from left and right.

That shouldn't happen to music though, especially not music played directly from the .ogg file. But what exactly did you do here? You said you used a second ambience track. How? You can only have 1 music track playing at once, unless you used a different script function for it.

04-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Find
Plazmater Offline

(04-07-2014, 04:59 PM)Mudbill Wrote: If I understood you correctly, you're saying the 3D effect is annoying? If you have a 3D sound play from a specific location in the map, then turning the camera will pan the sound from left and right.

That shouldn't happen to music though, especially not music played directly from the .ogg file. But what exactly did you do here? You said you used a second ambience track. How? You can only have 1 music track playing at once, unless you used a different script function for it.

Ye , i wanna play 2 ambients at once , even FG did it at some levels as i saw it. however Ambients you pick up from Sounds folder (not Music folder) are different , they are hearable from only 1 direction , they are not surrounding player as the ones you pick up from Music folder......

eeeh , simply said, i wanna both (Ambient from Music folder and Sounds Folder: to be played 3D , BOTH of them.

MAYBE there is different script function for it... idk.

Try it too , try with script function PlayMusic to play Amb from Music folder and then try it with Amb from Sounds folder , you will know difference. Its strange FG have both of those Ambients working great in their levels , for example Cellar or Storage level.

For example this Amb from Sounds file: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Rkxi-GdH8

How to play it through PlayMusic function flawlessly as normal Ambient from Music folder.

Reply from FG would be best as they know what they did in levels since they are creators of it.. but i hope others can help me as well.

(04-07-2014, 06:04 PM)Plazmater Wrote:
(04-07-2014, 04:59 PM)Mudbill Wrote: If I understood you correctly, you're saying the 3D effect is annoying? If you have a 3D sound play from a specific location in the map, then turning the camera will pan the sound from left and right.

Ye , i wanna play 2 ambients at once , even FG did it at some levels as i saw it. however Ambients you pick up from Sounds folder (not Music folder) are different , they are hearable from only 1 direction , they are not surrounding player as the ones you pick up from Music folder......

eeeh , simply said, i wanna both (Ambient from Music folder and Sounds Folder: to be played 3D , BOTH of them.

MAYBE there is different script function for it... idk.

Try it too , try with script function PlayMusic to play Amb from Music folder and then try it with Amb from Sounds folder , you will know difference. Its strange FG have both of those Ambients working great in their levels , for example Cellar or Storage level.

For example this Amb from Sounds file: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Rkxi-GdH8

How to play it through PlayMusic function flawlessly as normal Ambient from Music folder.

Reply from FG would be best as they know what they did in levels since they are creators of it.. but i hope others can help me as well.

SIMPLY, as you said , ALL Ambients from redist/sounds are heard like from 1 specific location and those Ambients from redist/music are flawlessly heard as they are surrounding the player. I want Ambients from redist/sounds to work correctly same as other Amb in Music folder ,by surrounding player.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2014, 06:31 PM by Plazmater.)
04-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Use PlayMusic with the music files in the music folder. Don't use it for sounds.

Have you tried using PlayGuiSound("sound.snt", 1); ? That will play without 3D, basically equally from all directions. With 3D, you can hear where the sound is coming from. Many .snt files have Use3D = "True" which is why they can be heard differently from a stereo speaker if you turn your camera around.

04-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Find
Plazmater Offline

(04-07-2014, 08:39 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Use PlayMusic with the music files in the music folder. Don't use it for sounds.

Have you tried using PlayGuiSound("sound.snt", 1); ? That will play without 3D, basically equally from all directions. With 3D, you can hear where the sound is coming from. Many .snt files have Use3D = "True" which is why they can be heard differently from a stereo speaker if you turn your camera around.

Hm that looks good but 1 problem , where is loop function ? there is needed such a function.
04-07-2014, 09:40 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

If you open the .snt files with a text editor, you can change it. Just like Use3D, there's a Loop = "True" or "False" that you can toggle.

04-07-2014, 10:46 PM
Find
daortir Offline

Threads: 9

I'd recommend opening the .snt for a sound file that is played in the entire map (pretty sure the archive ambs work like this), then the one for your sound and checking out the differences. Open the .hps files from the original game and do a Ctrl+f quick search to know how FG did it.

Actually it's a great way to solve most of the issues you'll encounter : open a level and check out how FG did it, you'll learn a lot from it.

04-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Find
Plazmater Offline

Thats weird , in .snt file there is already Loop="True" .. Sad
04-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Perhaps PlayGuiSound does not support looping because it doesn't have an internal name, so it would be looping forever. Try PlaySoundAtEntity using "Player" as the entity itself. That should work with loops.

04-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Find
Plazmater Offline

(04-08-2014, 03:15 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Perhaps PlayGuiSound does not support looping because it doesn't have an internal name, so it would be looping forever. Try PlaySoundAtEntity using "Player" as the entity itself. That should work with loops.

Ye i already tried that script function but now i tried again and ...(wtf) it works !
Idk , maybe the reason why it wasnt working before is because i didnt set Player as entity.
I am stupid sorry Big Grin I have like more than 6 PlaySoundAtEntity functions in 1 of the levels with Player as entity and NOW i make this mistake when i shouldnt..... Thanks for help tho Big Grin
04-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Find