Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Crash
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Solved: 9 Years, 3 Months, 2 Weeks ago RE: Crash

If you've bought the game, you should have access to it on all platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux) without a need for another copy. If you're able to set up Boot Camp, then you can surely do that to run the game on a Mavericks computer. However, it doesn't fix the game's issues on the OS since you're no longer using it. It's an alternative though.

09-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Find
RowdyPants Offline

Threads: 1

I wish you non-Mac people would stop posting in this thread. It's not helpful.

(08-25-2014, 03:13 PM)Romulator Wrote: ...I believe I would too find this to be unsatisfactory if I were a Mac user, but all you can do as a customer is wait...

So you want us to know you're not a Mac user.. great.

(08-25-2014, 03:13 PM)Romulator Wrote: ...It may be of dishonesty by FG to not inform you, or other buyers of this game, yet the same could be said for most Intel HD graphics card users, who cannot potentially play the game AT ALL despite an update...

It is absolutely dishonest to continue to sell the MAS version. Walkytalky is correct.

(08-25-2014, 02:21 PM)walkytalky Wrote: The crash reports are consistent, you have a genuine, well-established and reproducible bug that renders the game unplayable, but you seem to have little interest in doing anything about it. The fact that you're continuing to sell a demonstrably broken product is pretty much just bare-faced dishonesty at this point.

(09-01-2014, 03:55 AM)Ninamori Wrote: This isn't really an optimal solution, but have any of you tried running the game under boot camp, or through wine?

You're right. That is not an optimal solution.

(09-01-2014, 09:48 AM)Mudbill Wrote: If you've bought the game, you should have access to it on all platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux) without a need for another copy.

While the Steam store model is 'buy it on one platform, play it on any' that is not the Frictional Games model. These are different products sold in different stores.

People, obviously we can install a copy of Windows and play that version. I purchased the OS X product on purpose. I don't want to play the Windows OS version. After scouring logs and crash reports I think I found the solution. I already posted it and if FG updates the Mac App Store version accordingly I'll bet you a root beer float everything will be happy.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2014, 05:04 AM by RowdyPants.)
09-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I have the Steam version myself, but I expected them to allow the game to be installed on any OS after purchase regardless. I must've gotten a wrong impression.

Now that I think about it, it wouldn't make sense to be available for other OS'es if bought on the MAS. But does http://www.shelf.frictionalgames.com offer that same restriction? Either way it doesn't really matter. The issue is still there. Is this an issue with the MAS version explicitly, or any copy? I use a Mac myself, but because of this incompatiblity, I reverted my updated OS back to 10.8 so I haven't had much personal experience in about a year.

09-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Find
Kappa048487127 Offline

Threads: 7

(09-01-2014, 08:23 PM)RowdyPants Wrote: You're right. That is not an optimal solution.
I'm guessing there is some kind of performance hit when running things under wine, or via bootcamp? It is kind of annoying that the developers haven't shown much interest in helping you guys.

If what you say is correct it sounds like whoever packed/shipped the Mac version forgot some files, but I kind of doubt that's all there is to it.

(09-01-2014, 09:54 PM)Mudbill Wrote: I have the Steam version myself, but I expected them to allow the game to be installed on any OS after purchase regardless. I must've gotten a wrong impression.
On my old Mac if I downloaded a game available for both Windows/Mac such as GTA SA it would show two GTA SA games in my library one was the Windows Version the other was the Mac version.

I don't know if that was some sort of bug, or what, but that is what I recall. I'd assume it does the same with other games, but I haven't owned a Mac in a while, and Steam is bound to have updated.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2014, 12:37 AM by Kappa048487127.)
09-02-2014, 12:30 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

The Steam version allows the game to be installed for any platform, that's for sure.
The retail copies don't seem to though, or at least not some of them, like the Mac App Store release.

There are no performance issues running the game under Boot Camp as it acts as if Windows is the native OS, but setting it up and having to reboot into it is why it's rather not preferred if possible to avoid. Wine does drag on performance though, because it emulates a Windows environment while still running the Mac OS.

09-02-2014, 07:09 AM
Find
again
Unregistered

(09-01-2014, 03:55 AM)Ninamori Wrote: This isn't really an optimal solution, but have any of you tried running the game under boot camp, or through wine?

I'm sure that if you asked support nicely enough they might honor you with a Windows copy so you can try running it on your Mac via boot camp, or Wine.

ask them nicely enough????? seriously? ask them nicely for an actually working copy of a game that we already payed for???? You must be kidding me ... do you think that if I ask them super nicely they also send me a copy of MS Win to install in mentioned boot camp?

What about other solution : a version for Mac that actually work ? Well, I can understand that developing working games could be harder than ones that do not work, but I was nice enough to pay real money, so I expect real game... is it too much?
09-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Kappa048487127 Offline

Threads: 7

Normally I wouldn't say this about FG, because they typically do the right thing. However, for the Mac version this seems to be a cash grab, and it doesn't seem like FG has any interest in fixing it. Shame.
09-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Find
RowdyPants Offline

The makers seem to be busy with other projects so for all our sakes I'm taking this one on. I've been messing with my own game and already remedied a few issues. I'm kinda working in the dark here (Amnesia Style) but I'll keep playing, crashing, reading logs, and fixing until I'm sure the game will work for any of us. It's looking like this will involve minor squirreliness - replacing a few config files and creating some dummy assets. If I can get my own game to finish correctly I'll post a temporary workaround and instructions. #ChallengeAcceptedFG
09-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Find
RowdyPants Offline

Here is an example of the errors I'm seeing. It's almost like some of the files used in the App Store bundle aren't FG's most current version of that file - maybe an accidental old save that was used instead.

I launch the game and quit out. The HPL Engine Log shows:

PHP Code: (Select All)
User Initialization
--------------------------------------------------------
WARNINGCould not find language file entry 'WelcomeMessage05'

I snoop around. I notice pre_menu.cfg is calling for 'WelcomeMessage05'.

<PreMenu skin="gui_main_menu.skin">
    <
Section Image="startup_fg_logo.jpg" Time="2" ShowFirstStartOnly="false"/>
    <
Section Image="startup_tcr_logo.jpg" Time="2" ShowFirstStartOnly="false"/>
    <
Section Image="welcome_bg05.jpg" ShowFirstStartOnly="true" HasGammaSettings="true"  Music="12_amb.ogg" MusicVolume="0.5" MusicFadeTime="10">
        <
Text Pos="80 100 0" FrameSize="640 300" FontSize="18 18" TextCat="PreMenu" TextEntry="WelcomeMessage05" Color="1 1 1 1" Align="Left" />
    </
Section>
</
PreMenu

But 'WelcomeMessage05' is unable to be found in english.lang

<LANGUAGE>
  <
RESOURCES>
    <
Directory Path="fonts/eng" />
    <
Directory Path="lang/eng" />
  </
RESOURCES>
  <
CATEGORY Name="Voice">
    <
Entry Name="comeandplay">Daddy</Entry>
    <
Entry Name="vo_mansion_trigger_child_01">Daddydaddyfind us.</Entry>
    <
Entry Name="vo_mansion_trigger_child_02">Papapapa this way!</Entry>
    <
Entry Name="vo_mansion_trigger_child_03">Bla Bla Bla I cut the rest out</Entry>
  </
CATEGORY>
</
LANGUAGE

Because it's not there! I see that 'WelcomeMessage05' has been put in the 'PreMenu' category. So I make a new 'PreMenu' category in english.lang and add an entry for 'WelcomeMessage05'.

<LANGUAGE>
  <
RESOURCES>
    <
Directory Path="fonts/eng" />
    <
Directory Path="lang/eng" />
  </
RESOURCES>
  <
CATEGORY Name="PreMenu">
      <
Entry Name="WelcomeMessage05">Bla Bla Bla</Entry>
    </
CATEGORY>
  <
CATEGORY Name="Voice">
    <
Entry Name="comeandplay">Daddy</Entry>
    <
Entry Name="vo_mansion_trigger_child_01">Daddydaddyfind us.</Entry>
    <
Entry Name="vo_mansion_trigger_child_02">Papapapa this way!</Entry>
    <
Entry Name="vo_mansion_trigger_child_03">Bla Bla Bla I cut the rest out</Entry>
  </
CATEGORY>
</
LANGUAGE

I restart the game and wallah! The HPL Engine Log is happy.

User Initialization

I'll keep at it.
09-04-2014, 11:54 PM
Find
Unregistered

good job man ! Smile that's makes FG looks even more dumb? lazy? arrogant?
After successful refund from Apple, I'll be more than happy to buy YOUR version (from YOU not them obviously) Smile

Right now I'am doing some legal mumbo jumbo - dealing with Apple about classifying whole this situation as a fraud. It seems that it will end up with suspending FG Apple Developer account for number of legal issues.

"[...]Under the circumstances, I've determined that a refund is appropriate. In seven to ten business days, a credit of 17.99 EUR should be posted to the credit card that appears on the receipt for that purchase.[...]"

and hey ! how "funny" is it that FG do not involve in this thread at all :/
09-06-2014, 11:50 AM