Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Is my optical mouse possibly dying?
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38
Is my optical mouse possibly dying?

Hello reader!

So, I've recently noticed that my mouse is doing some weird stuff. First things first, I cleaned the mouse, and the issue still remained, so it's not that. The issue I get, though, is that if I hold Left-Click for a while, or even if I move the mouse whilst holding it, the mouse will stop for a split second, and reinitiate (it doesn't show it, but it's like I let go of the button for a tiny while without noticing), and sometimes it acts as if I've double clicked or more.

This issue kept happening at random points during usage. Sometimes, even when moving the mouse, it hiccups. Here are some of the things that I've tried.

1) Thorough cleaning of the mouse.
2) Malware/Virus check
3) Cable check for the mouse (and it turns up fine)
4) Check the sensors if something was interfering with it
5) Checked the USB slots, in case something was causing the issue
6) Switched the places for the mouse, but no go.

It's possible my mouse is simply dying at this point, but I want to be sure before going out to get another one. Anyone have any suggestions/help?

Thx a lot in the meantime!

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
04-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Website Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: Is my optical mouse possibly dying?

Troubleshooting mice is a pain, I just buy new ones. Hell, even my former tech teacher/tech support guy for my highschool does that.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
04-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

Try it on other pc, that might solve, is the problem in the device or in the pc itself.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2014, 03:19 PM by Red.)
04-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

If you have spare computers around, you can try switching them between them to see if the OS is the problem. (unlikely)

Most of the time it's just the mouse...

Have you tried clicking in certain areas of the mouse? I've had some that don't work very well if you click near the front after a year of usage. If I click near the base (closer to the palm) it works fine.
04-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

I've had a malfunctioning mouse for nearly a month now as well. After updating software and hardware drivers, as well as scanning for virus/malware, I just tried a new mouse I had laying around and I haven't had a single problem in over a week with it now.

I had a RAT7 and it seems to have died after a little over a year of use. So I'd suggest finding a second-hand mouse and giving it a run for awhile, see if the problem occurs still.

May I ask what mouse you have is? I'm looking for a replacement and want to make sure I don't get any possibly risky ones.
04-24-2014, 04:47 AM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

(04-24-2014, 04:47 AM)Statyk Wrote: May I ask what mouse you have is? I'm looking for a replacement and want to make sure I don't get any possibly risky ones.

Intex is the brand. I know nothing else about it.

Tried different PCs but the mouse is the culprit, like I said.

And no, doesn't matter WHERE I click the button, it does it randomly. Just plucks and then random things happen (frustrating while doing video editing and whatnot).

Well, I guess a new mouse may be the only solution now. I have some others, but I never got used to those. Will see what else I can find.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
04-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Website Find