Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It won't run!
DerpGuy
Unregistered

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago It won't run!
Ok so I used this site called can you run it. It said everything was fine except for I had Windows 8.
I have the game on Steam also.
I had the demo at first and I just downloaded Amnesia, the paid version.
When I downloaded it I tried to play it but it would constantly keep showing the launching tab and it looked like it kept refreshing and restarting.
So, I thought it had to do with the demo files. I did the verify the app cache thing first. Than I followed the part to delete the main settings thing and run it. I did, it did the same thing. When I did that I realized the folder it was in, the folder was called MainDemo so that is why I thought it had to do with the demo and the trouble of it launching. I deleted the MainDemo file and sent my Amnesia file to my Amnesia The Dark Descent file in my Steam folder.
I did the verify app cache and the Amnesia folder was deleted. Now, no folders called "Amnesia" showed up in my documents and I still can't play it.
What do I do?
05-09-2014, 03:02 AM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: It won't run!
Never follow can you run it. It doesn't necessarily work with Amnesia.

Have you tried reinstalling the game via Steam by deleting it from your Steam Library and re-downloading it?

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2014, 09:06 AM by Romulator.)
05-09-2014, 07:24 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
What are your computer specs?
Also, try attaching the hpl.log file the next time you see it... That is if the Amnesia folder will reappear.

05-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
I cannot understand what the actual problem is. Can you rephrase it for me to understand properly? You cannot get past the launcher?
05-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Find
DerpGuy
Unregistered

(05-09-2014, 02:11 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: I cannot understand what the actual problem is. Can you rephrase it for me to understand properly? You cannot get past the launcher?

Yes. The whole problem is it won't load and I have tried deleting it and re-downloading, verify app cache, delete the main_settings in the Amnesia folder, than I thought it had to do with the Demo version so I deleted that folder and re-downloaded Amnesia again but it didn't show up.

(05-09-2014, 09:03 AM)Mudbill Wrote: What are your computer specs?
Also, try attaching the hpl.log file the next time you see it... That is if the Amnesia folder will reappear.

My video card: AMD Radeon HD 8330

RAM: 3.6 GB

CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
05-09-2014, 11:16 PM
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

After the problem occurs attach launcher.log (or similar) fie found at Documents\Amnesia folder. Does steam give any error upon launch?

Have you tried disabling all background programs? It looks like something might be blocking the game. Maybe an antivirus or similar.
05-10-2014, 12:09 AM
Find
DerpGuy
Unregistered

(05-10-2014, 12:09 AM)plutomaniac Wrote: After the problem occurs attach launcher.log (or similar) fie found at Documents\Amnesia folder. Does steam give any error upon launch?

Have you tried disabling all background programs? It looks like something might be blocking the game. Maybe an antivirus or similar.

My antivirus thing is Norton but I have played the demo version with it on. I also downloaded the game on a different computer and than a another folder in my Amnesia folder popped up called "Main" and that one didn't show up on my other one I was using that didn't work. Also, I said that my amnesia folder isn't showing up on that either in documents as I deleted it because I thought it had something to do with the demo version.
05-10-2014, 07:01 PM
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

I'm having a lot of difficulty understanding your english. Did it work on the other computer? You must be using the same software there as well if it doesn't or both are below requirements. State them for both systems to verify that first.
05-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Find
Anonymous234569
Unregistered

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Accidentally deleted my Amnesia folder!
Ok, so you know how you do the shift and delete thing at the same time and it permanently deletes something? Well I was cleaning out my documents because I had a lot of junk in it. I made sure all of my files from steam was sent to my desktop so I guess I forgot my Amnesia folder. When I did all of the files in one thing it deleted the Amnesia folder to. I didn't realize this until now. I tried to delete Amnesia in my library and re-download it, but it still didn't show up. Now, when I run it a message pops up saying, "Could not load main init file. What am I supposed to do?
05-13-2014, 03:26 AM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Accidentally deleted my Amnesia folder!
I'm a little confused, do you have the retail version or Steam version of Amnesia?

If retail:
Simply reinstall Amnesia via its disc. If you're worried, simply point the installer directory to another folder other than Amnesia - The Dark Descent. Perhaps just a generic folder called Amnesia Tongue

If steam:
You can do this one of two ways I believe:
1. Right click Amnesia - The Dark Descent in Steam and go to Properties. Once there, navigate to Local Files and click Verify Integrity of Game Cache. That should replace any files which are missing.

2. If the previous method did not work, simply click that option above it - Delete Local Game Content. Then once that process is complete, go to Amnesia's steam page while logged in as yourself and redownload and reinstall.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2014, 08:15 AM by Romulator.)
05-13-2014, 08:15 AM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.