Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Name the 10 most overhyped games of this decade.
Petike Offline

Threads: 35
Name the 10 most overhyped games of this decade.

Take a stab at it ! I know you want to ! Wink: Big Grin:

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
01-15-2009, 12:19 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70
RE: Name the 10 most overhyped games of this decade.

1: spore
2: probably unreal tourn 2008
3: too many to list..

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
01-15-2009, 04:01 AM
Find
dragonmaster Offline

Threads: 17

This decade is a hard question, but i have more recent overhyped list:

1. Gears Of War 2
2. Unreal Tournament 3
3. Left 4 Dead
4. Fable
5. Grand Theft Auto 4
6. Call Of Duty 4
7. Fallout 3
8. Sins Of A Solar Empire
9. Don't Know
10. Don't Know
(Haven't played them all, but just myopinion)

I like horror games but not the ones that give u nightmares :P
But i like the ones that give you an urge to open every door and drawer that you see for a month :D
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2009, 04:10 PM by napanapa.)
01-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

Dragonmaster: you really shouldn't post such bollocks if you haven't played the games. In case you don't realize yourself the top seven games on that list are all last years hugest hits.

This DECADE would be hard to tell as I barely remember what was released 07, but some recent ones would be:
#1: Little Big Planet
#2: Killzone 2 (Not released yet, but definately overhyped)
#3: Dead Space
#4: Unreal Tournament 3
#5: Ninja Gaiden II

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
01-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

Hmmm, Let me release my supressed disapointment to the world!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Left 4 Dead (textures are awfully monotoned, enemies all very cliche and repetitive)
2. Dead Space (As much as i enjoyed it, it didn't live up to the teaser trailors and E3 hype)
3. Call Duty 5 (Come one, the fifth game, with a sixth in development? WHY WON'T IT DIE?)
4. Resistance 2. (I like this game to, it's just, Resistance 1 was so much grittier, darker and intens)
5. Starcraft 2 (I have a friend whose brother works on it, and he said that the campaigns have been totally changed, so when you purchase the game, you'll get something like 25 missions, but all in the same race. To get campaigns of a different race, you'll have to buy expansions. They also have taken out a notable number of units. Note, these properties might change, this is just what i've been told last.)
6. Fable II ( So, we waited and waited, and for what, something that's a mirror image of it's predesor? All it has is better graphics.)
7. Unreal Tournament 3 (Uhh, the only thing unreal about this is that the reviews it got were actually good.)
8. Stalker: Clear Sky (It looks as if the developers burned their holiday snaps onto a disc and had the B@lls to call it a game, It is nothing more than a bag of glitches and bugs, SOC was excellent, but this doesn't live up to it.)
9. Mercanaries 2: world in Flames (This game shouted potential, but when its an openworld game that cover a whole COUNTRY, you would think they would have a Quick warp or something... WRONG, you move their by a slow moving helicopter, vunerable to attack. It also has some small glitches that can affect gameplay.)
10. Wii fit ( Is it just me, or does getting off the couch and doing some laps primitive? Instead of good ol' fashion exercise, we are left with something you do as a feel good activity, and thus, our obesity reaches serious levels.)

Dishonourable mention: Fracture ( i mean really, would you notice the difference if you were playing any other Sci-Fi Shooter?

Note: They only games i haven't played are Wii fit and Starcraft 2; (Fracture, i have only played a little bit.)

And thankyou Petike for giving me the opportunity to rant:evil:Big Grin:

Not an image
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2009, 01:15 AM by ARes88.)
01-19-2009, 01:07 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

(01-19-2009, 01:07 AM)Tommy Gun Wrote: 5. Starcraft 2 (I have a friend whose brother works on it, and he said that the campaigns have been totally changed, so when you purchase the game, you'll get something like 25 missions, but all in the same race. To get campaigns of a different race, you'll have to buy expansions. They also have taken out a notable number of units. Note, these properties might change, this is just what i've been told last.)
Always read before you talk. From what I've heard it's not going to be "expansions" - it's going to be three games. A regular RTS with a Terran campaign, an RPG with a Zerg campaign and a dimplomacy game (I'm guessing something like Civs) with the Protoss. I don't think each game will be full priced either.
A very dared idea and I haven't heard much about the latter two but I'm sure Starcraft 2 will be one of the best strategy games of all time.
Also they haven't taken out anything valuable. Some of the most recent news announced that some units have been removed from the campaign (as the races have evolved), but will still be avaible in the mapmaker and such.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
01-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

(01-19-2009, 06:50 PM)Kedjane Wrote: Always read before you talk. From what I've heard it's not going to be "expansions" - it's going to be three games. A regular RTS with a Terran campaign, an RPG with a Zerg campaign and a dimplomacy game (I'm guessing something like Civs) with the Protoss. I don't think each game will be full priced either.
A very dared idea and I haven't heard much about the latter two but I'm sure Starcraft 2 will be one of the best strategy games of all time.
Also they haven't taken out anything valuable. Some of the most recent news announced that some units have been removed from the campaign (as the races have evolved), but will still be avaible in the mapmaker and such.

No doubt it's going to be the strat game of many a year to come, its publicity is just shining on one spot, not the others. but some units that weren't released to the media have been taken out, i think the 'death lilly' (zerg) was one, 5 of those could take out a whole terran base apparently, and another zerg unit that was like an infested ghost, if i remember right.
The mothership used to have a blackhole ability, which was incredibly powerful and capable of destroying abijjilion enemies. Hmmm, trying to remember what else there was... at any rate, a few of units "new or old" have been removed from the game, whether in early or late development.
As for the campaigns, i have heard whispers about an rpg, whether it is "Starcraft ghost" under a different title (which i read might have work restarted on it) or something new, we don't know, just whipsers on the interwebs. :lone: But why argue? We just don't know for certain. And sorry petike for us hijacking your thread Smile

Oh and it think they will be, i can pre-order Stracraft 2 for $100 AU at "my nearest 'GAME' store"

Not an image
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2009, 12:04 AM by ARes88.)
01-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

(01-20-2009, 12:00 AM)Tommy Gun Wrote: No doubt it's going to be the strat game of many a year to come, its publicity is just shining on one spot, not the others. but some units that weren't released to the media have been taken out, i think the 'death lilly' (zerg) was one, 5 of those could take out a whole terran base apparently, and another zerg unit that was like an infested ghost, if i remember right.

So you're complaining on units that have been removed during production of Starcraft II?
That's pretty meaningless really. All major titles have got tons of enemies that never see daylight, I see no reason to complain about them not doing so. Some enemies are removed because they unbalance games, because their design doesn't fit with the others, because they already have better equivalents that work better or because of lack of time.
You can look up Half Life: Raising the Bar and Bioshock: Breaking the Mold (both are concept art books also released on the internet) for tons of interesting designs and models that were cut. Even the first Starcraft had lots of cut units.
And oh, when was the black hole ability removed? Last time I checked sometime right before this winter it was still in the game and there was a at the time newly released trailer showing it off.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
01-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Find
jamhaw Offline

Threads: 30

(01-19-2009, 06:50 PM)Kedjane Wrote:
(01-19-2009, 01:07 AM)Tommy Gun Wrote: 5. Starcraft 2 (I have a friend whose brother works on it, and he said that the campaigns have been totally changed, so when you purchase the game, you'll get something like 25 missions, but all in the same race. To get campaigns of a different race, you'll have to buy expansions. They also have taken out a notable number of units. Note, these properties might change, this is just what i've been told last.)
Always read before you talk. From what I've heard it's not going to be "expansions" - it's going to be three games. A regular RTS with a Terran campaign, an RPG with a Zerg campaign and a dimplomacy game (I'm guessing something like Civs) with the Protoss. I don't think each game will be full priced either.

They are expansion packs, stand alone expansion packs maybe, but still expansion packs.
01-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Find
dragonmaster Offline

Threads: 17

... nevermind

I like horror games but not the ones that give u nightmares :P
But i like the ones that give you an urge to open every door and drawer that you see for a month :D
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2009, 07:51 AM by napanapa.)
01-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Find