Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Monster and environment stuff
MrJackrabbit Offline

Threads: 10
Monster and environment stuff

1) hello so well i have an idea for a custom story and i've learned all the basics of coding and using the level editor but a lot of the custom story is set outside so if anyone has any tutorials to outside environment maps and modeling in that category i would greatly appreciate a link.

2) i'm planning on developing a monster for this so what is the best way to model it and create the animations?

Thank you!
05-30-2014, 11:38 PM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
RE: Monster and environment stuff

1. Search the wiki, someone said there are some articles about that.

2. I use autodesk maya, I don't know about others. But no animations yet.

05-31-2014, 12:04 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Like Amn said, there is one about lighting in the outdoors on the wiki. I won't lie though, there is no 'perfect' way to do it in HPL2. Not to say that it is impossible, but it does take a while to get the hang of outdoor environments Smile

Monsters take a lot of time to master. You could use Maya, but if I recall, you'll need an older version for HPL2. There's a folder called something along the lines of "Third party programs" which details applications. From what I know, use Blender for animations Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
05-31-2014, 12:08 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Supposedly only Maya 2011 can export animations for Amnesia, but people say more and more things work. Cinema 4D and newer Maya versions seem to be compatible now, perhaps due to updates on the Collada plugin. I haven't heard of Blender working for animations though.

The beta patch also allows for FBX exports, which lets you export animations from 3ds Max and other Maya formats. FBX seems to be pretty common, so there are probably other programs that can support this.

05-31-2014, 01:40 AM
Find
MrJackrabbit Offline

Threads: 10

(05-31-2014, 01:40 AM)Mudbill Wrote: Supposedly only Maya 2011 can export animations for Amnesia, but people say more and more things work. Cinema 4D and newer Maya versions seem to be compatible now, perhaps due to updates on the Collada plugin. I haven't heard of Blender working for animations though.

The beta patch also allows for FBX exports, which lets you export animations from 3ds Max and other Maya formats. FBX seems to be pretty common, so there are probably other programs that can support this.

do you know of any free versions of maya?
05-31-2014, 02:54 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

There are trial versions and student versions, but no, I don't think there are any fully free.

05-31-2014, 05:09 AM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

I'm making a lot of crap with the student version, I found no problems/restrictions yet.
At least for basic models for Amnesia... I wonder what's the diff with the full version.
http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/maya

06-01-2014, 04:48 AM
Find
Juras Offline

Threads: 2

If you're going to make a monster you will want to use a sculpting program to make the high poly sculpt with details and such. There is a free Mudbox student version just like Maya and it's pretty easy to learn and understand how to use it so it's a good start for beginners.

Co-Founder & Lead Art Director of Red Line Games
3D & Environment Artist, Animator
http://jurasbatas.deviantart.com
06-01-2014, 07:26 AM
Find