Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with a story pls!
Radical Batz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
Need help with a story pls!

I am ok with scripting.

I am ok with mapping.

I am ok at map detailing.

But I'm so not ok with coming up with a story

Like how the hell do you come up with a story?

I have a good imagination, I read books, I watch movies but can't come up with a story still.

Is there anybody who could help me with a story cause I'm dead lost. 0_0

I'll give ya redits, reputation, anythin! Help me brothers!Tongue

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2014, 09:39 AM by Radical Batz.)
06-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Need help with a story pls!

I suggest trying to make something with the short story genre. They are usually simple to understand, but at the same time open to interpretation, which can be good for an interesting story.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_story

Basically, pick yourself a protagonist, create a personality for him/her and perhaps add another character or two. Try to keep them few though, you probably don't want to confuse the player with over 10 names to remember.

Next, create an incident. Something that happens to make the story interesting. Perhaps something went wrong or something unexpected suddenly happened. Whatever it is, you should make it affect the characters. Give the protagonist a reason to do what they're doing.

After that it's pretty much just figuring things out. You can have the player progress through the incident and perhaps make small changes to it or its outcome, or perhaps find out more of a greater plot. Whatever it is, try to balance it with the gameplay. Don't go too long without any story, but don't throw lots of reading or confusing action in the player's face either.

There's probably a lot more to mention, but I don't really know if I'm the greatest storywriter myself, so maybe someone else has anything to add.

To make a story memorable, you need a good ending. To make the player interested, you need a good introduction. Take extra care with these parts. First impressions are often critical.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2014, 11:49 AM by Mudbill.)
06-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Find
MsHannerBananer Offline

Threads: 34

You could recruit someone to help you out with story.

Or you could rip off a story. Big Grin It doesn't sound as bad as it does, trust me. People do it all the time, because let's face it, it's hard to come up with completely original ideas. What HASN'T been done before.

Avatar, with all those blue people, is really just a different take on Pocahontus.

You could take several different elements from your favorite books/movies and piece them together and essentially disguise them to make a story.

Mudbill gave some seriously good tips as well. Big Grin

06-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

I think inspiration sounds a bit better than ripping off Wink

06-14-2014, 07:56 PM
Find
Lizard Offline

Threads: 23

You said the you read books.

A good advise from me would be. if you have a book that really talks to you and interrests you. Then take the basics of that story and try to build a story upon that

CURRENT PROJECT:
A Fathers Secret == Just started
06-14-2014, 08:15 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Or, make a mind map!

Consider that if your CS could take place in a hospital - WHAT could the story involve within that hospital. Then ask how did this happen, or why did this happen. You'll be surprised what you can think of :3

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
06-15-2014, 05:28 AM
Find