Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with modifying monsters
pesupulveri Offline

Threads: 1
Need help with modifying monsters

Hello there everyone!
My problem is that I want to change monster's model and textures so that I can put my custom human-like face into it. I have in few days achieved only so little. Grunt and Brute both have issues with their morbid faces so I can't insert directly the new face on them.
I have tried to modify them with Blender but the UV mapping screws me over. And Amnesia model editor crashed when I tried to import the mesh. I have tried to search everywhere for a simple guide on how to modify models and textures. I only need the face over the monster's original face... like a mask. Simple headshape would be perfect for me.

So alternatively I have and idea to modify Alexander to an enemy, with same animations that Grunts uses. I think it's possible. But I don't get the modified Alexander model to work with model editor. I have exported it as a .dae file. Hope someone can help me... I am confused here Huh

And if you can, please try to keep it simple. English is not my native language and I am somewhat new with this. But I'll ask if I don't get something Tongue
06-22-2014, 07:24 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Need help with modifying monsters

I think this is easier said than done.

I haven't worked too much with monsters, so others probably know more about it, but I don't think you can just place another mesh on the monster and have it automatically attach to that location and apply with the animation. Probably has to actually be combined with the grunt's model, and maybe then it requires modifications to the animation. But when it's the same mesh, it also uses the same texture file, which can be a problem.

The Model Editor isn't used much for this. It's mostly all done in Maya or other compatible 3D software. You can easily add an attached billboard on their face though (like in Dark Room, was it?), but that will only be flat.

06-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Let's see:

By what you are saying, I guess it would be something similar to putting Alexander's head into a grunt model, but, to do this, there should be a lot of editing:

First, you'd need to cut off the grunt head and put Alexander's. Then, you'd have to edit the texture itself, so the Alexander skin matches the grunt (or inverse). Then, you'd have to work on the UV map (something that could give you a lot of headaches). And after this, I wouldn't be surprised that animations had problems, so yeah...

Remain that to get something with Blender animations work you need the updated editor, the AMFP one.

About Mudbill's choice: Remain that a billboard is something plain, and it will look just like if the grunt wore a mask (not a realistic choice).

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
06-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Find
pesupulveri Offline

Threads: 1

I thought so. Easier said than done. Sounds like a lot of work for something so simple... but I think that billboard on face will be enough for time being, maybe later get into more realistic one when Im more experienced. Thanks Mudbill and The chaser!
06-23-2014, 12:08 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

No problem, pesupulveri! We'll be glad to answer any question you ask Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
06-23-2014, 03:34 PM
Find