Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Is Amnesia: Realm of Death a suitable name ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
50.00%
4 50.00%
No
50.00%
4 50.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in progress Amnesia: Realm of Death
RZenix Krypton Offline

Threads: 1
Amnesia: Realm of Death

An Amnesia custom story - Amnesia: Realm of Death

You play as Richard Wilson, an experienced and expert researcher in paranormal investigations. With more than 17 years of experience in this field you're well respected by fellow peers and others individuals. Curiosity and adrenaline fuel your desire to explore the unknown. One day when searching through some old documents you came to know about a certain castle, the Castle of Transylvania which had been a remarkable place in the history but now is only known for being the most cursed place since the end of World War 2nd. A common hearsay about the castle is that the castle had been a centre of mass killings and anyone who dares to enter never returns. Do you dare to enter ? Do you dare to explore the past ? Find out what or who caused the disaster and why a remarkable place in history became the 'Realm of Death'...

A sentence from main antagonist's journal;

Death is a portal that teleports you to a new world. Death is beautiful than life, I don't know why people suffer Life.

Amnesia: Realm of Death will be a chilling experience, starting right from the heaven of Earth and ending in the depths of 'The Abyss'.

Screenshots :
Concept Image:
[Image: KTZ6kTB.png]

I'm looking for someone to assist me in level designing, someone who has a good sense of layout and composition.

Old Storage:
[Image: enLBZTy.jpg]

The Grand Entrance
[Image: P6LPAVH.jpg]

Please give your feedback, it really helps.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2014, 07:38 PM by RZenix Krypton.)
06-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Find
Artsy Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Amnesia: Realm of Death

As from what I can see, it looks good. A few things though:
- Don't use the cracks decals, they don't look good on anything
- You might want to spend more time decorating the main hall, it looks really spacious yet really empty; the architecture pieces and roofs look good.

I could tell you more if you had uploaded more than 2 screenshots.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2014, 08:37 PM by Artsy.)
06-22-2014, 08:35 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

Another idea about life after death, I assume. Not that it is a bad thing.
I have a story that has been over 2 years under development which also relies on the same theme.
Seems interesting by the description you gave, to say at least, but by judging from those pics, you need a little more detail added there.
Otherwise it looks decent enough to keep me excited for this.

About the name, in my opinion the name is fine, but "Amnesia" might confuse if there's nothing mermory loss related in the overall story.
Maybe reduce the name only to "Realm Of Death".
06-22-2014, 09:53 PM
Find
RZenix Krypton Offline

Threads: 1

Chapter 1 is on verge of completion, only the last level remains. Here are some fresh screenshots;

East Wing [Designing 100%][Scripting 50%]

[Image: ruMim4P.jpg]

[Image: 9b7C6aZ.jpg]

Archives [Designing 90%][Scripting 75%]

[Image: vxpXv7H.png]

Hope you guys liked the story and designing, thanks for all feedback. But keep posting your comments ,they prove to be very helpful in long run. Don't hesitate, speak about what you like and what you don't.

Thanks for your response, I realized those crack decals are good for nothing. I'll remove them soon. Some fresh screenshots have been posted, I hope you'll like them.

Well actually, the story is not about life after death. I guess I need to change some parts of the story to make it a bit more clear. Perhaps, I should start directly from Alexander, I haven't done it so far because I don't want to disclose the interesting elements of the story, but I guess to drive more attention I'll need to open some.
Thanks about the feedback for name, I'll take that into consideration the next time an update will be made. I thought 'Realm of Death' would sound too direct, that's why I'd added Amnesia to it, but now I realize, 'Amnesia' will divert the player from actual meaning of name. Would you mind if I ask you for some suggestions about mod's name ?. Thanks again for your feedback.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2014, 07:56 PM by RZenix Krypton.)
06-24-2014, 07:37 PM
Find
Artsy Offline

Threads: 10

My comments

The second screenshot:
The lighting looks very bright and sharp. The way it reflects to the static obj. and entities is unpleasant. Try using a darker color for the box light/whatever it is that you have in there that makes the room bleed of light.

The third screenshot:
That corner to the left looks pitch black, unless that's your purpose, otherwise you might want to put a point light there to make it look brighter.

Other than that, I think your rooms look good. Always remember to make your rooms look attractive. Some tips on how to do that:
Spoiler below!
- Put a lot of detail into it, although NEVER over clutter it. When you feel the room is detailed enough, you're done.
- Use custom position points a.k.a disable grid snapping (the magnet thingie) for more customization. If you have or plan on making a more destroyed/ruined room, you might as well use it. It'll really help you save some space and all in all it's very good to the eyes when you see nothing's in place as the grid goes.
- Do a good job at the lighting. This is very important because no matter how good your room looks, bizarre lighting can ruin everything. If you like things scarier, use a box light to light up a bigger area of your map as they're not really optimized for just one room as it's most likely to collide with the walls and make the walls bleed of light. Use darker colors. You may also want to use fog if you like (level fog which is located in Edit > Level Settings > Fog). Although if you use colors like blue, lower the alpha to 0.2 or something similar so that nobody will get annoyed by that. Many people hated the blue fog used in AMFP, so may that help you learn from it as if you go with using the level fog.
- Room layouts are a big part too. If you make a gigantic room with literally nothing in it but doors and windows, it's most likely that looks very plain and naked to the eye. Detail. DETAIL. Also in case you make larger halls, use main_hall.map from TDD as a reference since you're going with the castle look mostly.
- Don't forget that minor things are also important. Things like tile amount which I usually set to 0.75, 0.5 or 0.3. It all rather depends on the plane itself actually.

I don't usually write this much, for they're just a couple for tips I'd like to tell you so that you could find helpful.
06-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

(06-24-2014, 07:37 PM)RZenix Wrote: Chapter 1 is on verge of completion, only the last level remains. Here are some fresh screenshots;

East Wing [Designing 100%][Scripting 50%]

[Image: ruMim4P.jpg]

[Image: 9b7C6aZ.jpg]

Archives [Designing 90%][Scripting 75%]

[Image: vxpXv7H.png]

Hope you guys liked the story and designing, thanks for all feedback. But keep posting your comments ,they prove to be very helpful in long run. Don't hesitate, speak about what you like and what you don't.

Thanks for your response, I realized those crack decals are good for nothing. I'll remove them soon. Some fresh screenshots have been posted, I hope you'll like them.

Well actually, the story is not about life after death. I guess I need to change some parts of the story to make it a bit more clear. Perhaps, I should start directly from Alexander, I haven't done it so far because I don't want to disclose the interesting elements of the story, but I guess to drive more attention I'll need to open some.
Thanks about the feedback for name, I'll take that into consideration the next time an update will be made. I thought 'Realm of Death' would sound too direct, that's why I'd added Amnesia to it, but now I realize, 'Amnesia' will divert the player from actual meaning of name. Would you mind if I ask you for some suggestions about mod's name ?. Thanks again for your feedback.
I would recommend to pile up the name after you've finished the story.
You don't know all themes unless if you haven't written them yet.
Just think what themes "Amnesia - The Dark Descent", brings to mind:
Amnesia, the protagonist suffers from a mermory loss,
"The dark descent", tells about the main threath of the game.

Or you can do something completely else like a word that brilliantly ties everythin, like "Breaking Bad", for example.
06-25-2014, 02:43 AM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

Threads: 3

Following this, can't wait to see what comes of it Big Grin

You will see me, and weep in cold fear...
06-25-2014, 07:03 AM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19

Your screens look good. Keep up the good work. I've got a few comments about the writing.

First off, and this might only be an issue to British people, but Richard Wilson is the name of a fairly famous British actor. He was in a long running sitcom but most people outside the UK would know him from Merlin I guess (Gaius). My advice is to change it, but then only a small part of your audience is British, so meh.

Secondly, Transylvania is a large part of Romania. According to Wikipedia it is 38,721 sqare miles and contains 118 castles, so to me "the Castle of Transylvania" is a bit jarring. Why not pick a particular castle in Transylvania, or invent one?

Thirdly, I wanted to give you some advice about language and grammar, no offence.When it comes to written text, it needs to be spot on. So many CSs are ruined for me because of the spelling and grammar. The content of your synopsis in the OP is good, but I could pick holes in the grammar. Before releasing your CS I highly recommend getting someone to go through your lang files for you. I would be happy to help.

Edit: Also, I voted no in the poll. IMO, if you call a story "Amnesia: Something", that implies that it is set in the Amnesia universe or is an addition to the canon. I would call it just "Realm of Death", unless the idea is that the castle houses an orb or something like that.

Edit: Edit: I just noticed above that you mentioned Alexander, so I guess it is set in the Amnesia universe. In that case I revise my vote. "Amnesia: Realm of Death" is fine.

(This post was last modified: 06-28-2014, 03:41 AM by MrBehemoth.)
06-28-2014, 03:18 AM
Find
BeartrixTheStrange Offline

Threads: 0

This seems like a very interesting story. Can't wait to hear more of this! Big Grin

Not sure if you're looking for any yet, or if you want them at all, but I wouldn't mind being a voice in this.

If anyone is willing for my voice to be in a custom story, please private message me. I have been offline for too long and need to get back in this community!
06-28-2014, 04:05 AM
Website Find