Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wait what? Launching mods from anywhere?
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Wait what? Launching mods from anywhere?

How come I didn't know this before? Is it that very few people know it?

I just launched a mod from C:\mods and I don't even have the game installed on my C drive (but rather under H:\SteamLibrary). It worked just fine. The game can access all the files from any location?

I don't know about you, but this I would think is a big deal. That means you can start an isolated mod directly from your desktop. The mod I started had all the stuff in it as if it were in the Amnesia directory, and it could still access all the default content.

Am I late to the party or is this actually not well known? I haven't seen anyone utilize it.

I simply started the mod by adding the absolute path in the launch option in Steam. Normally I'd add "themod/config/main_init.cfg" and it would start from the game dir, but if you add "C:\whatever" it starts from your root.

Magic?

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2014, 10:36 AM by Mudbill.)
07-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Wait what? Launching mods from anywhere?

I've just never actually seen anyone make use of this. I suppose it's only easy enough with Steam, since you don't need to point to the Amnesia application. A retail launcher would probably need a different path depending on the user's installation. I guess that's why it's not used.

I was just kinda surprised that the game could find all of it and that it ran without issues.

07-25-2014, 01:13 PM
Find