Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saving the state of a map when leaving
burge4150 Offline

Threads: 15
Saving the state of a map when leaving

Maybe not the best thread title, but I have a question.

When things happen in a map - doors are opened, bottles fall off a shelf and break, and items are picked up - a lot of it resets once the player leaves a map and comes back.

From what I can tell:
Items picked up stay gone
Doors Opened will reset to be Closed
Lights that have gone out will stay out
Bottles or Items that fall off a shelf will be replaced onto the shelf

What causes these items to reset, and is there a way to save the state of a map once a player leaves it?
07-28-2014, 01:00 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41
RE: Saving the state of a map when leaving

There should be a box in the second tab for entities that says "save item state". Be careful what you use it for, it can really bump up size in some cases c:

Hope that helps!

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
07-28-2014, 01:13 AM
Find
burge4150 Offline

Threads: 15

It does help.

Let me ask this - in yours or other people's experiences - does having a door magically be closed when you come back an hour later mess with your immersion? I'd think it would definitely take away that feeling if "this is safe, I've been here" and that feeling can be abused for a few nasty surprises.
07-28-2014, 01:15 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

It's never really bothered me since it's something that's become expected of this engine. There were, however, some let's plays I've watched where it was a little bit immersion-breaking (specifically Daniel's Room in TDD, where you could trash the place, leave, then return to a less-trashed room afterwards - a lot of LPers went "wait what?").

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless the room you're talking about is a central hub-like area that the player will be returning to multiple times.

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014, 01:42 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
07-28-2014, 01:38 AM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19

(07-28-2014, 01:38 AM)Carnivorous Jellybean Wrote: There were, however, some let's plays I've watched where it was a little bit immersion-breaking (specifically Daniel's Room in TDD, where you could trash the place, leave, then return to a less-trashed room afterwards - a lot of LPers went "wait what?").

This is very true of props, but I think burge is right about doors. I've also seen LPers walk into a reset door and... *gasp* "somebody's been through here while I was away!"

07-31-2014, 11:44 PM
Find
Daktoa Offline

Threads: 10

And that totally works, because there were some parts of the main game where doors opened and closed without you noticing.
08-01-2014, 01:00 AM
Find