Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in progress Helena Update thread (Stunning screenshots)
HelenaMOD Offline

Threads: 1
Information  Helena Update thread (Stunning screenshots)

[Image: BLlU0eB.jpg]

As the title states this is not the official Helena thread but if you share any interest with creating levels working out level design etc you do want to follow this project.

Helena is a mod directed by AGP, you can find the original thread here!

This thread was created for compensating the many other things in life besides mod development. And to keep the updates more consistent, anyways hope you like what you see and feel free to leave a comment on what you think regarding the mod.
As this map story wise represents the wealth and rank of the family I wanted it to look luxurous yet a bit dirty as if the family didn't really care that much of what other people thought of them. Anyways, the layout of the map is fairly simple. Before entering the actual map there's two rooms you walk through, these are there to make the transaction from the previous map more smooth and pleasant to go through. At first I had no doors sealing the rooms of causing a rather large performance loss, I will explain how I fixed that now.
The green cone represents the player and all the objects being rendered in at once. As you might be able to tell this is a bit too much so something has to be done about it. Now one way to fix it would be corners but adding corners sealing of parts of the map would change the entire layout of the map and make the rooms feel more apart. So what else can I do, well Fog can actually improve performance as it limits the players line of site, although it wouldn't make sense to have that much fog/dust in the map as it is still being taken care of. So what's left, well actually simple doors. Instead of doing anything of the following I put doors in the door frames as well as removing some lights or disabling the "casting shadows" option. Doing this boosted the overall framerate so optimizing is definitely worth it.
Spoiler below!
Non optimized version benchmarks:min 42 max 60(v-sync) average 54.6[Image: v71y0Vl.jpg]Optimized verision benchmarks:min 57 max 60(v-sync) average 59.1[Image: luVj1Ue.jpg]Benchmark settings:
[Image: 0HlOgaS.jpg]

Here's a video for ya:
Spoiler below!
[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/cgL-XMki_Go[/video]
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2014, 05:00 PM by HelenaMOD.)
08-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Find
HelenaMOD Offline

RE: Helena Update thread (video)

Screenshots!
Spoiler below!

[Image: 9nIGF24.jpg]
[Image: cVf8cCq.jpg]
[Image: 0SswoYQ.jpg]

Screenshots!
Spoiler below!

[Image: xxhSj3Z.jpg]
[Image: FVDdo6k.jpg]
[Image: 8P6ByaI.jpg]

Screenshots!
Spoiler below!

[Image: wZP4E9E.jpg]
[Image: HpmAyKt.jpg]
[Image: sWQsXot.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2014, 04:54 PM by HelenaMOD.)
08-14-2014, 04:53 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Oh my god, I just fell in love with the screenshots. Keep that quality up!

PD: You have any estimated release date? I want to play this very badly :3

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
08-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Find
Daktoa Offline

Threads: 10

These look so nice. I can't wait to see more.
08-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Find
HelenaMOD Offline

I'm just creating the maps, AGP is in charge and can probably give you a more precise date but sometime in December 2014.
08-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Find
AGP Offline

Threads: 45

(08-14-2014, 06:35 PM)HelenaMOD Wrote: I'm just creating the maps, AGP is in charge and can probably give you a more precise date but sometime in December 2014.

As of right now, the release will be sometime in December. This is to make sure that everything is at its absolute best come release day.

Once we get closer to finishing, I'll have an exact day for everyone. Big Grin

08-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Find