Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does it break immersion?
Daktoa Offline

Threads: 10
Does it break immersion?

Does it break immersion/seem silly when custom stories use the Amnesia assets but try to pass them off as something else?

An example would be using the suitor but saying it's another character relevant to your story. Since we all know it's the suitor from Amnesia and not the character from your story it sometimes feels a bit off.

Another example would be using the shadow's organic models and saying it's something else, like an infectious disease.

Do you think it's an immersion breaker or is it just something that you just have to get used to in custom stories?
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2014, 07:41 PM by Daktoa.)
08-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Find
Nikson. Offline

Threads: 22
RE: Does it break immersion?

I'll give my honest opinion, it is a LITTLE immersion breaking, it still is not that bad, when I play such custom stories when someone says that the suitor is some sort of other monster I still say in my mind that I still know it's the suitor and I'm not immersed. But if you say the shadow is something else without changing any particles, then it's silly but if you use the same concept but you change the sounds or the particles it will be okay.

So just as I said it depends whatever you're going to use, and if you're going to change simple concepts of it.

For example FG used the same model for all of the suitors but they changed their voices, so you still know they're different.

I hope this helps and sorry for any errors.

[Image: fnaf3_by_maybeanothercat-d8flfz4.gif]
08-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Find
ThatCrazyShaman Offline

Threads: 17
RE: Does it break immersion?

Hmm, I suppose it could be for me, but it usually isn't. It's really dependent on the way in which it's being used, I guess. Whether it's organic or not, so to speak.

But that's just me. I don't automatically identify things in terms of what they're from, but rather what they are in the present piece of work.

That being said, it would be nice if people were a tiny bit more creative with the way they use the assets. Change things up a bit.

...The only people worthy of consideration are the unusual ones. Common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed. - L. Frank Baum
08-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Find